As someone who went to school for architecture for 5 years, it blows my mind how anyone who studied architecture for so many years and is hired by a developer can come up with this design and material choice. it‘s so overwhelmingly chaotic and poorly designed. it also blows my mind how projects like this can get approval. So unfortunate…

I think it's a case where the developer wanted to be in the driver's seat here...and the architect was all too willing to give it to them. Hence, the dog designed by a committee that has no relationship to the area that surrounds it, to put it mildly. /sigh

As someone who went to school for architecture for 5 years, it blows my mind how anyone who studied architecture for so many years and is hired by a developer can come up with this design and material choice. it‘s so overwhelmingly chaotic and poorly designed. it also blows my mind how projects like this can get approval. So unfortunate…

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as I absolutely love this project. The only thing I don't like is the name.

For every dime and dollar I hear that excuse...

...look, there are those who are going to like and even love this project. No one is saying they can't. And yes, in doing so is subjective.

However, more objectively observing a poorly massed grey spandel and inconsistently balconied boxes that largely looms over a community of bricked missing middles and parks for an entire block is calling it for what it is...regardless whether someone likes that or not. That is, it sticks out like an elephant in a dog park...and that is something that can't be denied, for bad or good.

For every dime and dollar I hear that excuse...

...look, there are those who are going to like and even love this project. No one is saying they can't. And yes, in doing so is subjective.

However, more objectively observing a poorly massed grey spandel and inconsistently balconied boxes that largely looms over a community of bricked missing middles and parks for an entire block is calling it for what it is...regardless whether someone likes that or not. That is, it sticks out like an elephant in a dog park...and that is something that can't be denied, for bad or good.

It doesn't matter how you phrase this or say "it can't be denied" because it can...lol. I don't think it sticks out at all and I don't think grey spandrel is bad. I don't agree with any of your points...lol. You call it "sticking out like an elephant in a dog park" while I call it "creating better density".

There's no right or wrong here, as beauty or ugliness for that matter is in the eye of the beholder, but periodically when someone says "it blows my mind away how a project like this can get approved", I like to throw in a little reminder that despite what they think of it, others might like it very much.

It doesn't matter how you phrase this or say "it can't be denied" because it can...lol. I don't think it sticks out at all and I don't think grey spandrel is bad. I don't agree with any of your points...lol. You call it "sticking out like an elephant in a dog park" while I call it "creating better density".

There's no right or wrong here, as beauty or ugliness for that matter is in the eye of the beholder, but periodically when someone says "it blows my mind away how a project like this can get approved", I like to throw in a little reminder that despite what they think of it, others might like it very much.
Evidence suggests otherwise when it comes to the obvious. But hey, if you find beauty in that...more power to you I guess.

...and with that, we'll agree to disagree. And move on.

The gray spandrels will blend in with lots of the curtains and roller-blinds once the building is completed. I used to hate gray spandrels as much as anyone, until I saw a building with a different type of finish only to have it clash with the white backings of closed curtains once the building is occupied.

I love the busy nature of this design. It breaks up otherwise a very large facade into the illusion of a number of different buildings in a building wall.

March 29, 2023:

IMG_7936.jpeg
IMG_7937.jpeg
IMG_7938.jpeg
IMG_7939.jpeg
IMG_7940.jpeg
IMG_7941.jpeg

I think it's a case where the developer wanted to be in the driver's seat here...and the architect was all too willing to give it to them. Hence, the dog designed by a committee that has no relationship to the area that surrounds it, to put it mildly. /sigh
The developer is in the driver's seat on every project. All of them. They decide how much they're going to spend. Only a fraction of 1% of the buildings out there were built where the owner/developer told the architect "cost doesn't matter". All of these projects are designed by committee.

Back