Toronto Model 12-10-23 TimeAndSpace.png

...somehow it looks less offensive when Mr. Koops renders it.
It’s not offensive at all in the grand scheme of the context of what the area will become.

It is Infact perfectly designed to reflect the city’s vision of what this part of downtown should be.

I’ve always felt pushback against this project is less so against the building it self, but the level of intensification in the community in general as a whole.

I’ve always felt pushback against this project is less so against the building it self, but the level of intensification in the community in general as a whole.

I disagree. The other two new buildings at this intersection haven't received nearly as much hate. The consensus on St Lawrence Condos on the North West corner seems to be quite positive just looking at it's thread versus this one, and The Whitfield on the North East corner will be 30% taller than Time and Space, yet hasn't faced nearly the amount of criticism, as it's a much more attractive building, even if we're just comparing early renders of both developments.

On UT, the criticisms are mostly about the look and shape of the buildings. In the neighbourhood facebook groups, the criticisms are about density. But the NIMBYs in those groups criticize every proposed development using the same tired arguments about overcrowding and "luxury condos".

Oh, and how the towers ruin their view of the spire of St. James.

On UT, the criticisms are mostly about the look and shape of the buildings. In the neighbourhood facebook groups, the criticisms are about density. But the NIMBYs in those groups criticize every proposed development using the same tired arguments about overcrowding and "luxury condos".

Oh, and how the towers ruin their view of the spire of St. James.

Nobody is denying that NIMBY's exist, especially on Facebook, but they complain about every building. The point is that Time and Space has faced A LOT more criticism than any of the new builds near it, from massing, to materials and quality of construction, and all of these are valid criticisms in my opinion. It's annoying to see people in this thread constant try to downplay any criticism with "you probably just hate density". I love density! I sold my car and specifically moved downtown from the suburbs FOR the density, but I want quality construction and appropriate massing too. That's not too much to ask, especially when nearby new builds have delivered.

Reactions: AHK
Nobody is denying that NIMBY's exist, especially on Facebook, but they complain about every building. The point is that Time and Space has faced A LOT more criticism than any of the new builds near it, from massing, to materials and quality of construction, and all of these are valid criticisms in my opinion. It's annoying to see people in this thread constant try to downplay any criticism with "you probably just hate density". I love density! I specifically moved downtown from the suburbs FOR the density, but I want quality construction and appropriate massing too. That's not too much to ask, especially when nearby new builds have delivered.

Yes, that's the difference between the discussions here and out in the general public. Most of us here love density and tall buildings but dislike specific ones.... and this one is one of the most disliked in the entire forum. (I'm pretty on the record above as noting that I love the fact they are fitting 1600 new housing units into the neighbourhood and thousands of new neighbours, but it's a pretty fugly way to do it.)

Back