As much as I love this sign it was a bad idea putting it at ground level. Should have been elevated somewhere to help deter people messing with it.
I think part of its attraction is that you can sit on it; great photo op, and it's obviously hugely popular with Torontonians and tourists alike.

or fixed!

It's amazing how powerful a simple idea can be. The city's name as icon. Nice.

Absolutely, it's an idea I never would have thought of, but it's instantly iconic. And it lends some heart to the space. What I'm most looking forward to seeing is when it's up during the winter, and people are skating. Just imagine the glow of the sign reflected off of the ice. Or at New Year's eve? That's why I'd personally like to see it remain at Nathan PHillips Square. It immediately enhances the square.

I think it would be cool if they could take the idea further, involving sings for other parts of the city, all in the same font. But rather than duplicating the Toronto sign, I'm thinking of signs specific to certain parts of the city. So, a big Dundas sign at Dundas Square, a Queens Park sign outside the Rom, etc. I'll admit, I don't know how realistic that would be, but watching Panic Room, and Fringe, with these big letters superimposed over buildings, it just made me think it would give the city this big, grand, and iconic feel.

copper_panic_room3.jpg

fringe.jpg

That could be fun.

(Though, if we're going to copy anything from Fringe, I want the ability to entomb arbitrary people in amber. Looking at you, e-bike drivers on the MGT.)

Peace Garden:

IMG_5874.JPG

And also, a shot of that sign we all love

TORONTO by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Attachments

• IMG_5874.JPG
    IMG_5874.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:
And also, a shot of that sign we all love

TORONTO by Jack Landau, on Flickr

You can see in this picture how the top left quadrant of the first O is already dented in. Anybody who thinks this is going to last 15 years is delusional. It might not survive through the end of the Games at this rate.

I love the idea and hope that they build a permanent sign at this location. Perhaps they could move it further back to function as an exhaust for those grates, and put it on a higher perch with benches below.

You can see in this picture how the top left quadrant of the first O is already dented in. Anybody who thinks this is going to last 15 years is delusional. It might not survive through the end of the Games at this rate.

If they move it to a spot where people aren't able to touch it, that will obviously extend the lifespan quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually gets tagged.

Here's some more shots of the Peace Garden:

breevgdg.JPG

reghtgrt.JPG
rggvv d.JPG
trhgtgrgr.JPG

Toronto by Marcus Mitanis, on Flickr

Attachments

• breevgdg.JPG
    breevgdg.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 485
  • reghtgrt.JPG
    reghtgrt.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 458
  • rggvv d.JPG
    rggvv d.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 479
  • trhgtgrgr.JPG
    trhgtgrgr.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 490
I have been to a hell of a lot of events in this city and I have to say, the Panamania cultural events have been the best staged events I have ever seen. (in this city or anywhere else) The stages are up high enough so most people can see it well. There are 2 stages situated perfectly, so the audience can move easily from stage to stage. With the 2 stages, the action moves between both, with no long waits between acts and there are lots of big screens all over the square, so one can stand in the crowded area near the stages or relax in the more open area near the fountains. The stages have good lighting and graphics. It's the first time I have seen a performer on the new Nathan Phillips Square stage, who wasn't overwhelmed by that huge stage. This new design with a backdrop screen and all the other design features make the performers stand out more. I have totally enjoyed all the events I've gone to there. Good job, to whoever was in charge of the staging! So far, all the events I have gone to had big crowds too. People seem to really enjoy it. I know I did. The atmosphere is great.

I like the design of the new stage (in Nathan Phillips Square) as a structure but as an event venue, it's not good at all. You need a backdrop and other design features to tame that huge stage. All the performers I've seen there were swallowed up by that huge, empty stage and it did not work at all. These Pan-Am Games is the first time I've seen that stage used properly to showcase the performers. I just hope this teaches other venues a lesson, especially Pride Toronto. I hated Pride event this year!!! Pride was staged terribly. If they would take note of the Pan-Ams, I would be very happy. I will let them know, when I get the chance.

So far, all the Panamania events I have been to have been great.

Last edited:
Very nice! I remember mentioning on here some time ago that we should make similar signs like the one in Amsterdam and put them around the city. Would help with branding. Amsterdam has all them all over the city including at the airport.

Sounds very "Moose in the City". Another idea copied from another city we thought was good branding (which wasn't).

Successful branding should begin with an original idea. And then you have to come up with a good original idea (not as easy as it sounds). And the word "TORONTO" in giant led letters scattered around various tourist spots isn't just unoriginal and tacky...it's redundant.

Perhaps we should just play it safe and buy another Moore?

[QUOTEAnd also, a shot of that sign we all love

TORONTO by Jack Landau, on Flickr[/QUOTE]

IMHO, This would be a great addition to NPS. My other favourite spot for a permanent version would be the start of Yonge Street -- particularly if it lights up both the waters of Yonge Quay and can be seen all the way up Yonge (although the view will be hampered by the Gardiner, of course.

Successful branding should begin with an original idea. And then you have to come up with a good original idea (not as easy as it sounds). And the word "TORONTO" in giant led letters scattered around various tourist spots isn't just unoriginal and tacky...it's redundant.

Perhaps we should just play it safe and buy another Moore?

So buying another Moore isn't unoriginal? You're judgement is clouded here. This sign's popularity is stunning. Successful branding doesn't have to be 100% original, it has to be original to its context, relevant and well executed. This is.

Back