I agree that the walkways serve the purpose of framing the square - and do so in a modernist manner.
The square could be framed with a double or triple row of street trees that would equally isolate the square from the traffic and noise of the street (which the street wall of the Sheraton Centre does not, because it is on the south side of Queen St.), but that wouldn't accord with the modernist ideals that lead to the existing design.
There are many other parks with trees and tree-lined edges that you don't need to destroy the unique qualities of the square to make it like other public spaces.
I think the solution is to encourage greater use of the walkways - they provide valuable vantage points for viewing public events held in the square.

Why not use the walkways for some sort of outdoor history of Toronto? You know, a series of plaques lining the walkways that people can read...

Okay, okay, so, I'm a history nut. In any case, I'm sure that we can do something with them that will get people up there... Do they have benches up there? Maybe some of those new ones with the bars done the middle (so that they're not taken over) would provide a popular place for people to sit and have lunch or just contemplate. Also, why not add some wide ceremonial stairs along one part of the walkway that would allow people to sit down with a view of the entire square?!?

Can't we be more creative than just ripping them down?!? :brickwall

Don't destroy, restore so people can actually use them - even if it's in a limited fashion.

I'll admit a certain soft spot for the elevated walkways... in my younger years it's one part of downtown Toronto that I could vividly remember, and when I went skating on the NPS rink I found the border it created to be somewhat comforting and reassuring.

Personally I think all that square needs is some proper maintenance, plant some nice gardens on Queen and make that grass actually look decent. Hell, I wouldn't even care if the walkways were painted or something creative was done to spruce them up; but I don't think tearing down an integral part of the City Hall complex is necessary or justified.

That said, I'll now be a total hypocrite and say tear down those nasty bunkers - I'll accept my choice should WWIII break out and I'm left with no where to survive the fallout.

The lawn problem should be mostly solved. They installed a sprinkler system late last fall. This should prevent the drought / drown cycle of previous years that made good mud.

I lean towards preserving those walkways, but I think that the option of tearing them down should be on the table in any redesign scheme - and I would not have any problems with a superior proposal that would have them gone over an inferior one that preserves for preservation's sake.

GB

I used to use the walkways all the time during the summer months when they were open to the public. They do provide a great vantage point overlooking the square. From my own observations, the walkways were utitlized frequently by people in recent years, but moreso by tourists than locals.

It totally sucks that they were allowed to decay away. Now suddenly, it's easier for the city to tear them down, versus restoring them to their original condition.

That walkway is an ugly useless mess, and I don't give a damn what the architect intended -- city hall is for the people, not for his legacy. Tear it down, I say!

...and I have tried to use it, but it's just so inconvenient and... well... useless!

"...and I have tried to use it, but it's just so inconvenient"

Too much effort to walk up a flight of stairs?? LOL.

What we believe is superior is not necessarily so. Think about those Eaton Centre proposals from the 1960s.

mimico:

Indeed. But I am not willing to concede anything built before now is by default sarcosanct. See what the proposals suggests, judge its' effectiveness, and make a decision then on whether it is worth losing the walkways over. To deny that possiblity is to tie the hands of creativity.

GB

The walkway is inconvenient for transportation purposes, and the view from "up there" is nothing special. Other than the intended framing of the square (which I dislike), I see no purpose for this walkway.

What large, cumbersome objects are they transporting into the Square these days? Have I missed something?

According to his website, Councillor Milczyn is a 1989 graduate of the U. of T. faculty of Architecture. He's on the AGO's Board as well.

I have wanted to see this horrible walkway get torn down for nearly thirty years now. I would even help out with a sledge hammer!

Open up the square and city hall!

Back