Taken yesterday... they were busy carving through the peace garden structure:

5162578915_5b853c3e6d_b.jpg

I'm not familiar with the timelines for this developments, but Im assuming there wont be any skating happening at NPS this winter?

I'm not familiar with the timelines for this developments, but Im assuming there wont be any skating happening at NPS this winter?

If you read back a few pages you would see that the City says that there WILL be skating. Not sure I believe them but ...

I'm confident that they will have the rink ready in time for the Cavalcade of Lights, it can't not be!

The cinderblock skate rental building is coming back from the dead. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
The old one was cinder-block and uncovered. or unclad. (naked cinder block?) From the pics I saw this one will be covered though I suppose any expense on covering (aesthetics, bah!) may be deemed to be part of the Gravy Train and thus it will need to be done by December 1, before the Great Gravy Famine of 2010-2014 commences.

According to this, it's supposed to be clad in wood and frosted glass though I can see how it can be left as cinderblock if its funding is cut.

npspai_skatepavilion_6.jpg

The good news is that it would appear what is being built is already funded so its budget wouldn't be cut unless specifically moved and approved by city council. It should be built as planned.

I walked by tonight and it's very very unlikely that even the rink will be ready by the cavalcade of lights. Having the rink open by Christmas is doable and I hope they also clear the Peace Garden hoarding also. The square is indeed quite a mess and it's a shame to see it so during its most active season.

I walked by tonight and it's very very unlikely that even the rink will be ready by the cavalcade of lights. Having the rink open by Christmas is doable and I hope they also clear the Peace Garden hoarding also. The square is indeed quite a mess and it's a shame to see it so during its most active season.

This does seem to be a recurring issue of piss-poor planning at City Hall. Who in their right mind wouldn't time this to be ready for the Holiday season? Baffling.

Tewder:

Less piss poor planning - more piss poor project management. Then again IMO this season is a wipeout anyways given the construction. It's no different at Mississauga City Hall.

AoD

This does seem to be a recurring issue of piss-poor planning at City Hall. Who in their right mind wouldn't time this to be ready for the Holiday season? Baffling.

The square is ALWAYS busy - in winter it's Christmas trees and skating, in summer it's farmers markets and LOTS of tourists. The work REALLY had to be done, it is moving ahead pretty well.

Rockefeller Plaza is pretty busy all year too but I'm pretty certain they wouldn't plan renos for the holiday season. Dumb.

^They certainly wouldn't have planned it for THIS Christmas which is the one that everyone seems to be concerned about.

Back