Sounds exactly like a McDonalds to me.

If a restaurant offers nothing that a McDonalds doesn't, ie: various form of sandwiches, fries, salads and icecream (I don't care how better you say it is), I will never go.

I prefer places which don't sell Burgers and salad at all - that will be a good start and an injection of optimism. We need more interesting food, not generic American food (20 variations of hotdogs is not interesting).

We already have a plethora of restaurants that meet your pretentious desires. There's nothing wrong with some American food here. The majority of the people that use the square probably don't have palettes that are as sophisticated as yours.

If a restaurant offers nothing that a McDonalds doesn't, ie: various form of sandwiches, fries, salads and icecream (I don't care how better you say it is), I will never go.

I prefer places which don't sell Burgers and salad at all - that will be a good start and an injection of optimism. We need more interesting food, not generic American food (20 variations of hotdogs is not interesting).

The deal-breaker for Hero Burger was that it offers healthy choices, a diverse menu and it's a local company. I recall Council going through the menu choices and debating the pro's and con's of it, City Staff also supported Hero Burger in the competition. McDonalds did not compete for the sought after spot. It's a five year deal that will go back to Council to see how it fit in/did it work/do people like it etc. when the bid opens up again.

Grand. Get over yourself already.

I could actually go for a Japa-dog!

This is a public square not a trendy boutique hotel. Burgers, dogs, ice cream is perfect for this spot.

The burgers and hot dog market is pretty well served by the food trucks on queen street. It's disappointing there are no other options.

Grand. Get over yourself already.

there is nothing "grand" about it. I just find various kind of burgers/sandwiches boring. I eat fewer than 10 burgers/sandwiches every year, and mostly at outside events when they are offered for free. I just hope the city can provide something a bit more interesting than two buns and a beef patty.

The burgers and hot dog market is pretty well served by the food trucks on queen street. It's disappointing there are no other options.
I think the food trucks need to go with their diesel fumes, noise and ugly lights.

I was at City Hall today and noticed some progress on the Queen forecourt. The rabbit stairs cinderblock building has been stripped down to bare bones in anticipation of a new cladding envelope and glazing. Installation of the Silva Cells is stalled however because of frozen ground.

During the Hero Burger debate there was a lot of discussion about the trucks parking on Queen St. One of the Councillors put up a Motion to have City Staff look into the feasibility of having the food trucks removed and make recommendations to Council. If I remember correctly they are covered under the traffic department or something and pay their permits through there. The mood with current Council was mixed, but it seemed to lean more towards getting rid of all the food trucks when the permits expire. It was discussed that they look bad parked in front of the Square, noise, exhaust and soon, competition with Hero.

What happened with the Two-Storeys Restaurant?! It's no longer included in the Final Phase! Geez Toronto!

During the Hero Burger debate there was a lot of discussion about the trucks parking on Queen St. One of the Councillors put up a Motion to have City Staff look into the feasibility of having the food trucks removed and make recommendations to Council. If I remember correctly they are covered under the traffic department or something and pay their permits through there. The mood with current Council was mixed, but it seemed to lean more towards getting rid of all the food trucks when the permits expire. It was discussed that they look bad parked in front of the Square, noise, exhaust and soon, competition with Hero.

Complaining about exhaust fumes and noise in the middle of downtown toronto is like complaining water is wet. I don't know what the thought process is for people like this but it's not very deep.

I think the food trucks need to go with their diesel fumes, noise and ugly lights.

Fumes and noise are a part of living in any city.

As for aesthetics, some of the trucks could clean up their image a bit, but that is an individual business decision more than something that needs mandating. Go visit the "clean, quiet" food trucks down by Front Street if you don't like the ones at Nathan Phillips.

Complaining about exhaust fumes and noise in the middle of downtown toronto is like complaining water is wet. I don't know what the thought process is for people like this but it's not very deep.

It wasn't just about exhaust, it was for a slew of reasons that the food trucks were debated. The food trucks in front of NPS should come back up at Council soon, City Staff were to report back in a timely manner but I don't remember exactly when - perhaps in six months or something.

Back