What else is new?! It's Toronto! The City that's always behind in everything. The UnFirst-Class City!
Though things DO often take a long time, you must give them some slack this year due to the extreme cold (and, more importantly, how long it lasted.) You cannot do much work in the ground when it's frozen (and ground-heaters are expensive and not very effective) and things like waterproofing and laying bricks are almost impossible without a huge cost in heaters and protection.

Here's an interesting observation in passing today--I noticed that the SE parking entrance from Queen, in the process of deconstruction/transformation, seemed to be sporting walls of possibly glazed brick; might that be a vestige of the original (late 50s) construction of underground parking here? And might it have been later given a "Revell-compatible" makeover?

Here's an interesting observation in passing today--I noticed that the SE parking entrance from Queen, in the process of deconstruction/transformation, seemed to be sporting walls of possibly glazed brick; might that be a vestige of the original (late 50s) construction of underground parking here? And might it have been later given a "Revell-compatible" makeover?

pictures please!............... :)

npsa24.jpg

Is that the brick behind the pallets on the right? (I noticed on the opposite side that some of it may have been eliminated/stuccoed over, though it was still generally visible.)

What is that?! Is this the Two-Storey Restaurant?!... So cool! Finally!!!!!! :) :) :) What about the Peace Garden?! Any progress going on??? and the Queens forecourt??? any pictures please! thanks. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that the brick behind the pallets on the right? (I noticed on the opposite side that some of it may have been eliminated/stuccoed over, though it was still generally visible.)

Found this image as I was browsing the photo threads:

Simpson Tower, 1969
Architects: John B. Parkin Associates and Bregman & Hamann

6137052547_19f0e4612b_o_zps09214959.gif

© NE2 3PN

Yes, I just don't understand why there is nobody ever working on this project and it just seems to drag on forever. It's needlessly increasing the cost and just makes no sense. I'd really like to hear an explanation (that makes sense) why this was built this way and how much extra the delays have costed us.

Stopped by yesterday and I didn't see any workers either. Granted, it was the evening though, but even in the afternoons I don't think I've seen any workers there. I'm not sure why it's taking so long. I really love the green roof though. It's a shame that it doesn't seem to be very well used.

Nathan Phillips Square by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Good to see some patio furniture out here, especially now that Hero Burger is open.

Last edited:
Some random things I noticed from your great photos...

What's that random wire on the back of the new stage?
Why are their garbage and recycling bins at the bottom of our flag? Seems a bit disrespectful.
Speaking of, why are we still using those ugly mesh garbage bins? And plastic recycling bins? This is Nathan Phillips Square! It's like our front lawn.
Some lights are not working on the perimeter of the water in the reflecting pool.
Are the benches not being replaced around the reflecting pool? The ones there are so old and ugly.
Why are the empty tents left up when not being used? Did they not make new storage areas under the stage for these things?
Why are there road construction work bollards up by the stage on the corners?

Some random things I noticed from your great photos...

What's that random wire on the back of the new stage?
Why are their garbage and recycling bins at the bottom of our flag? Seems a bit disrespectful.
Speaking of, why are we still using those ugly mesh garbage bins? And plastic recycling bins? This is Nathan Phillips Square! It's like our front lawn.
Some lights are not working on the perimeter of the water in the reflecting pool.
Are the benches not being replaced around the reflecting pool? The ones there are so old and ugly.
Why are the empty tents left up when not being used? Did they not make new storage areas under the stage for these things?
Why are there road construction work bollards up by the stage on the corners?

Great photos. I noticed some of the same things. They really need a manager of the Square. One who can liaise with security, works with the events co-ordinator and is enabled to make things happen to keep the Square clean and well maintained.

Back