Would have been nice if they didn't restrain on replacing all of the overhead walkways with new materials, like they did near the restaurant pavilion.

They (PLANT) originally proposed to replace certain portions with glass, but in the end I don't think they had enough of a budget to modify the walkways.

AoD

I think the operative word is deference - you really don't want to mess up an icon like the City Hall. All in all I think the NPS interventions are tastefully restrained (unlike some of the other competition schemes).

AoD

I think the restrain was respectable given that misguided renovations to great buildings have been quite common in the city in the past 100 years. We're proud of city hall and didn't want to mess it up with something that was merely the style at the time.

However, I've come to realize that Revell wasn't a landscape architect, and the square isn't a great landscape design. In the next renovation, I'd like to see a curb-to-curb redesign. The only great feature to the whole square is the reflecting pool and arches. Everything else is superfluous and could be bulldozed. I hate the lawns and the way the elevated walkways obscure sight lines.

However, I've come to realize that Revell wasn't a landscape architect, and the square isn't a great landscape design. In the next renovation, I'd like to see a curb-to-curb redesign. The only great feature to the whole square is the reflecting pool and arches. Everything else is superfluous and could be bulldozed. I hate the lawns and the way the elevated walkways obscure sight lines.

The lawns are perhaps superfluous, but the walkways are pretty much integral to his original scheme. It wasn't a mere "add on". I would definitely lighten them up though.

AoD

There isn't much use to them, so they're superfluous. Even when open, few people go up there. I don't know what Revell wanted to do with them, but they don't seem to serve any purpose now. They don't even connect with the city hall podium terrace.

Last edited:
There isn't much use to them, so they're superfluous. Even when open, few people go up there. I don't know what Revell wanted to do with them, but they don't seem to serve any purpose now. They don't even connect with the city hall podium terrace.

I think the lack of use is something that could be addressed through redesign - and not a natural outcome as a result of the structure.

AoD

I agree, though the fact that nothing has emerged in 5 decades suggests they weren't a good feature of the original design. Even this sensitive renovation hasn't yielded a true revitalization of the walkways--just light structural and cosmetic work.

I agree, though the fact that nothing has emerged in 5 decades suggests they weren't a good feature of the original design. Even this sensitive renovation hasn't yielded a true revitalization of the walkways--just light structural and cosmetic work.

As mentioned before, there were plans to renovate the walkways in the original scheme but that got jettisoned. If it went ahead it would be similar to the glass balustrade around the top of the snackbar/changeroom addition.

AoD

The walkways provide a sense of enclosure to the square, and provide great vantage points when there are large events taking place in it. You'll see the walkways busy on nights like Nuit Blanche, etc., when large scale spectacle takes place. Yes, they need to be rejuvenated, no, they should not be dispensed with.

I heard somewhere that though the walkway upgrade is not part of current NPS plan it is not totally off City radar and will probably happen as a separate project and will deal with deteriorated concrete and lighting and make them look more like the skate pavilion.

The walkways provide a sense of enclosure to the square, and provide great vantage points when there are large events taking place in it. You'll see the walkways busy on nights like Nuit Blanche, etc., when large scale spectacle takes place. Yes, they need to be rejuvenated, no, they should not be dispensed with.

I don't think it needs a sense of enclosure beyond the surrounding buildings. That it's enclosed from Queen and Bay streets seems artificial and unnecessary--those are public spaces too.

The lawns are perhaps superfluous, but the walkways are pretty much integral to his original scheme. It wasn't a mere "add on". I would definitely lighten them up though.

AoD

The inclusion of the walkways on the overall masterplan were integral to the planned Plus 15 system that was never built. Fortunately, developers built us the PATH instead.

I walked around NPS today and have to say I was disappointedly underwhelmed. I'm happy that the square itself has been cleaned up and the Peace Garden moved to the perimeter. I also like the green roof podium but other than that MEH. This reno is $20 million over budget!!??
I've never been a fan of the elevated walkway. In fact in 1972 I took photos demonstrating the poor sight lines (or lack of) that the walkways create from outside of the square. The photos were used in a proposal to either remove or elevate them (so you can see under them). I'm pretty sure Revell's original plans had the walkways extend further south on Queen Street which would mitigate the blocked view of his masterpiece. It looks like the walkways are remaining as is…too bad! The eastern side of the square along the west side of Bay Street is completely blocked off. There are no sidewalks and the pedestrian entrance off of Bay Street is a horrible concrete barrier. I thought this was going to be addressed in the renovation. All in all I am VERY disappointed. What an expensive and failed attempt (in my opinion).

I'm pretty sure Revell's original plans had the walkways extend further south on Queen Street which would mitigate the blocked view of his masterpiece.

A vision that was likely unintentionally lived out in Need for Speed: Most Wanted

[video=youtube_share;odJCRo3A4sI]http://youtu.be/odJCRo3A4sI?t=21s[/video]

Back