Did you actually read his post? Planting can't be done right now, it's cold out. Presumably, if concrete pouring is expensive at this temperature, it's a cost-saving measure NOT to work. Are you suggesting that the city should allow for cost overruns instead? It'd certainly give you something else to bitch about later eh?

yeah, I am sure cold weather explains all the slow work during the past 5 years to complete work of such a small scale.

The reason it has taken so long likely has to do with funding and payment releases. The City might have authorized the funding for the project, but over a long period of time. So, the contract and schedule have been created to reflect that. Works moves in slow phases, as doing it all quickly from the start would have forced the city to create a contract/schedule that forced them to pay the same money in a shorter period of time.

I don't know this for a fact, but it often happens with municipal projects.

Also, pouring concrete in the winter is very expensive. Much more than in the summer. I think people here often underestimate that. You have to start paying for installation/removal of insulating blankets on forms, propane heating, winter hoarding, nonchloride accelerators for your ready-mix, pre-warming your concrete pumps or forms or grade, snow clearing (difficult on a form deck with rebar), increased lighting costs due to shorter days, production delays due to wind/snow/cold, etc. Honestly, the fact that we actually pour as much concrete as we do in the winter is a testament to the strength of the market.

Last edited:
The City are now looking for a consultant to supervise the fixin' up of the pool and rink. I had assume this was already done but ...

Professional Consulting Services for the Replacement of the Existing Refrigeration Plant, Reflecting Pool Piping and Upg
The purpose of this RFP is to select a qualified consultant for the purposes of providing and carrying out multi-discipline engineering services including Architectural, Structural, Mechanical (Refrigeration & Fountain) and Electrical for the complete replacement of the existing refrigeration plant, reflecting pool piping and upgrades of the P1 Mechanical / Chiller room of the Nathan Phillips Square Ice Rink & Reflecting Pool located at Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, Toronto as required by the City's Facilities Management Division

They need to find a better way of preventing people from climbing the arches than a fence or whatever. Maybe just make the surface slippery, which might keep pigeons off as well?

They need to find a better way of preventing people from climbing the arches than a fence or whatever. Maybe just make the surface slippery, which might keep pigeons off as well?
The old (ugly) metal barriers were removed and much better looking ones installed last fall. I have not seen any signs of people trying to climb up the arches (or at least being able to do so), have you?

Why do we need to do this? Is it a problem? Are people going up the arches?

Not in this cold:D

This website bulletin have always been accusing me of reposting pictures and banning me quite several times of something i never did. Maybe it's their own members who's hacking my account and using it against me because they never liked my forthright negative comments about the big projects in Toronto which i was just telling the truth. The never ending long delays and overruns costs of any projects in Toronto is so unacceptable! to the fact that this is a first class city so they want to say.

Back