Relax, of course I am speculating - isn't that the function of the forum? I want to see the potential of something better - which may or may not include Centreville staying - you want it to stay the way it was. That's that.

AoD
I think sometimes people take it too far and seem to think that the city reads this and that everything that they want to happen should.
I don't necessarily want it to stay exactly the same as I do think that it does need some work and new things added or existing things upgraded which they have been doing on the last few years.
I just don't really see how bulldozing it and building a large playground their is any better besides there is lots of large open areas that they could build one on the island as well as having Centerville too, it shouldn't be or have to be one or the other.

I do feel that (for whatever reason) the Islands don’t feel as awe-inspiring as some ‘world-class’ parks. Dunno why.
Because it's Toronto, we like to neglect the great resources that we already have in this city. That combined with the fact that most of our leaders have no vision for the city asides from mediocrity.

To me, the benefit of the islands are the serenity and attractiveness of the natural environment. "Trappings of civilization" be it trams, housing, airports, marinas or bouncy castles should be wound down and certainly not expanded. If those are the things you seek, there is a large metropolis immediately to the north.

^Why do we bansh old streetcars to Rockwood, when both the Islands and the Spit would be a great place for a quaint tram that would serve a transportation purpose and also be fun to ride?

Similar to New Orleans or San Francisco, one could have a fleet of “vintage” looking but quite modern operationally railcars. Tap on once and ride for the day. Single track Row with a very fixed schedule.

Rather than a fixed bridge, what about a ferry similar to the Island Airport version, just across the channel. Walk on/walk off. On a ten minute headway, plenty of capacity.

Plenty can be done to constructively “naturalise” the islands, but I don’t mind the expanses of cut grass to give openness and to maximise the view of the harbour/skyline. This is not the place for a woodlot. Having said that, it would be a wonderful place for a campground. Maximising overnight usage, and enjoyment of sunset, night sky, and sunrise would all add to the attraction. The resorts should be on the mainland, just hop on a pre dawn ferry across the gap to go for a sunrise run or walk.

- Paul

Maybe create an ENTRANCE facility, that includes a hotel resort, with a draw bridge or tunnel from Cherry Beach. Use the sand from the tunnelling to enlarge the islands.

1599159517455.png

From link.

To me, the benefit of the islands are the serenity and attractiveness of the natural environment. "Trappings of civilization" be it trams, housing, airports, marinas or bouncy castles should be wound down and certainly not expanded. If those are the things you seek, there is a large metropolis immediately to the north.

The virtue of the tram, to me, is exactly what you suggest. A bus or even those slinky tractor pulled rides feels more urban, and more modern. Think of a tram as a reincarnation of an old Toronto radial. Each stop would effectively be a different “community” along the way. No Flexities allowed, just open air.

I wonder if the City could declare the Island a petro-free zone with all work vehicles being fully electric, in the interest of both carbon footprint and quiet.

One of the issues with the Island is that it’s too far from end to end to be walkable for the less than fully able. Having end to end transportation is important. Demographics being what they are, there will be lots of aging folks in those central condos, and the island would be a prime recreational destination as that age group gives up their cars.

- Paul

Be careful what you wish for. Must have been some people who "hated" Sunnyside Amusement Park, and when they go their "wish" we got the Gardiner Expressway in its place.

Would also want to see Centreville stay, but improved not removed.
I also want to see Centreville kept but improved. It definitely needs an upgrade!

So basically say to families with young children there's nothing here for you anymore? As I said in one of my earlier posts for many young children Centerville is the first amusement park they go to. My guess is that you don't have any or have any necies or nephews that love those types of rides. In the last couple of years I've gotten to go see it with one of my nephews who at the time was 2 and 3 and it was great too see him being just as excited about it as me and my brothers were when we were younger too. A hill with a trail and trees isn't going to attract families to visit it.
When I was a kid, the only things I liked about Centre Island was the ferry ride, the farm animals and Centreville. The rest of the park was no different from our local neighbourhood park. If we are going to create a landmark park, serious money needs to be spent and some new attractions need to be created. There really isn't a whole lot to do on the islands. There used to be a theatre for puppet shows but that has been gone for years. They also used to have some good playground spinning rides that I loved as a chid but sadly, they were removed.

The big mistake Toronto did in the 1950's was to destroy the buildings on Centre Island. Hotels, restaurants, and shops disappeared.

They could have created Toronto's own version of Disneyland's Main Street on the Island. But with real non-chain, non-franchisee, independently owned stores, offices, and second or third floor residences.
630x355.jpg

From link.

Still, it could have been worse. Just click on this link.
1599168040189.png

Could that not be said about much of Toronto? You want nature, go to the Spit? You will have miles of greenery and very little else. You want quiet areas, Toronto is full of ravines that are packed with trees and very few people. In fact, Toronto has more green ravines than any other major city in the world! Those hidden ravines go on forever. I don't understand why people demand more of what we already have in abundance? And don't get me started about Rouge National Park, one of the largest urban parks in the world! You want nature, we got that covered.
You want a world-class park, that is a major destination? Sorry, you will have to look elsewhere, Toronto doesn't have it.

Last edited:
I do feel that (for whatever reason) the Islands don’t feel as awe-inspiring as some ‘world-class’ parks. Dunno why.
Because it's Toronto, we like to neglect the great resources that we already have in this city. That combined with the fact that most of our leaders have no vision for the city asides from mediocrity.
I honestly don't understand what people mean when they talk about other cities being world class and Toronto not being one because they don't think we have as many nice things as other cities do.

I honestly don't understand what people mean when they talk about other cities being world class and Toronto not being one because they don't think we have as many nice things as other cities do.
Parks arent the reason why Toronto isnt world class, no where did I say such a thing. There are a tons of issues with this city, and until we resolve them i'll never agree with the assertion from politicians around here that we're "world-class".

The word gets tossed around so often in this city, I just tend to ignore it. The point here, is that this city has neglected parks so much in the past and it's a shame that its only now that we're finally realizing it.

Parks arent the reason why Toronto isnt world class, no where did I say such a thing. There are a tons of issues with this city, and until we resolve them i'll never agree with the assertion from politicians around here that we're "world-class".

The word gets tossed around so often in this city, I just tend to ignore it. The point here, is that this city has neglected parks so much in the past and it's a shame that its only now that we're finally realizing it.
I tend to ignore it too mainly as I said so many people toss around the ideas of world class cities and how Toronto isn't one. Personally I think it's a term that has just been made up so that people can have some sort of buzz words to say that one city is better than another.

At no point did I make any statements about Toronto as a whole being world-class or not. In this conversation I simply care about the Toronto Islands.

Specifically, I think that the city council does not make the most of its park space (of which the Toronto Islands is part) or of its public realm. It is my opinion that this is because city council does not have the vision, is too incrementalist, and is unwilling to spend money to really make the most of the city's assets. This disappoints me, because Toronto has assets like the islands, the lake shore, the ravines etc. that are pretty damn amazing.

You have a problem with my use of the term 'world-class' to reference other parks, and I understand that. I used it as a shortcut: if I compare the islands to Central Park, Prospect Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park, Golden Gate Park or Governor's Island (all places I have spent a lot of time in) I find it coming up short. Specifically, the islands lack cohesion, I feel like there aren't really any 'wow' moments, the trails feel linear (so it feels like there's only one way to explore it), etc. I also don't believe that Centreville is the best use of the space, and would rather it be naturalized. That said, note that these are my opinions. Plenty of people - including you - in this thread have spoken in favour of Centreville.

Last edited:

Back