1644549222652.png

1644549254469.png

1644549349659.png

1644549373724.png

1644549542064.png

1644549607959.png

1644549637648.png

Ok time for my comments more or less.

But first to note, this took 3 posts, and I curated heavily what I chose to post here, there is lots more in the actual plan, go have a look for yourself!

Commentary:

Overall, I'm very pleased with the direction.

I have to say, I see my fingerprints all over this. LOL

What pleases me there is that I was not a paid consultant on the project, but yes, I had a bit of input opportunity (small).

But I see the ideas I offered reflected in an out-sized way.

I won't go into too much detail, but the gist of my comments was this:

Less Animal Prison, more focus on Conservation, in the most overt way possible.
Don't bother with public 'exhibits' if it results in harmful experience for the animals, or an unnatural experience for the guests.
In a World of 'Youtube' you need to give people an experience they could not get from the internet
You need to directly link donations to 'making a difference'.
You need to make more education online, and easy access, vs what can be stated on fixed interpretive signage
Focus on species that naturally occur in this type of climate/habitat, where maintaining exhibits for more southerly species, without harming the local environment, create an experience as normative to the animals as is practical.

I see most of that reflected here and I'm quite pleased.

My only concerns here are how practical some of the higher-end ideas are; (safari camping); and the potential to fund all this..........no mean trick!

Last edited:
@Northern Light: "Less Animal Prison, more focus on Conservation, in the most overt way possible."

Very important. I've always loved the Toronto Zoo and feel it is one of the better ones, but there's always room for improvement on this front. These proposals certainly look like a step in the right direction.

The climate appropriate species is an important one too. I've always felt the Canadian Domain is a bit neglected, but there's so much opportunity, especially the way it's nestled right down in the valley. It's a very tranquil part of the zoo; good exercise too, hiking back up that hill.

The climate appropriate species is an important one too. I've always felt the Canadian Domain is a bit neglected, but there's so much opportunity, especially the way it's nestled right down in the valley. It's a very tranquil part of the zoo; good exercise too, hiking back up that hill.

The Canadian Domain is somewhat neglected because for alot of people it is inaccessible. It was designed to be viewed from the Canadian Domain ride hence one of the reasons the monorail was built.

I walked down the monorail guideway a few years ago as part of a Janes Walk and the view of the Canadian Domain is significantly different from there than it is from the public walkway. The view is significantly more limited from the public access.

I noticed the whole maglev thing is still in the plans. I don't seem to find a lot of discussion about the guideway though - it felt like a giant opportunity waiting to be exploited.

AoD

I noticed the whole maglev thing is still in the plans. I don't seem to find a lot of discussion about the guideway though - it felt like a giant opportunity waiting to be exploited.

AoD

While on that walk, I noticed the guideway was in decent enough shape where it was not severed. There are parts near the bus loop that are noticeably severed while there are parts in the woods that have not been maintained in years.

In all honesty, they would likely need to replace the guideway if they put a mag-lev in. It is very narrow and still has the electrical boxes lining it despite the track having been removed. I doubt they would even be able to fit the trains in there given the size difference.

There are also a number of bridges over the Rouge River that have not been maintained in years. Later today when I get home I will post pictures.

Even in Ontario, we've got lynx, black bear, wolves, rattles snakes, moose, polar bear, snowy owl...I suspect many folks visiting a related pavilion will be scratching their heads saying "We have those?"

Even in Ontario, we've got lynx, black bear, wolves, rattles snakes, moose, polar bear, snowy owl...I suspect many folks visiting a related pavilion will be scratching their heads saying "We have those?"

All true, a few other Ontario natives that people don't necessarily equate w/our province: Elk, Caribou, Bald Eagles, Cougars.

We also had Timber Rattlesnakes at one point, in addition to Massassaugas

Polar bears is always the one that amazes me- makes you realize just how massive this province is.

The Canadian Domain is somewhat neglected because for alot of people it is inaccessible. It was designed to be viewed from the Canadian Domain ride hence one of the reasons the monorail was built.

I walked down the monorail guideway a few years ago as part of a Janes Walk and the view of the Canadian Domain is significantly different from there than it is from the public walkway. The view is significantly more limited from the public access.
Good point, I didn't think of that accessibility aspect. I barely remember the monorail as I was quite young when it was decommissioned. Part of it though is that some of the Canadian Domain habitats feel quite small, specifically the bald eagle and mountain lion spaces. The new wolf habitat in the Tundra Trek is great though, feels like they have a lot more space to roam while also enhancing visibility for guests. That was my line of thinking for ways to enhance the Canadian Domain.

Good point, I didn't think of that accessibility aspect. I barely remember the monorail as I was quite young when it was decommissioned. Part of it though is that some of the Canadian Domain habitats feel quite small, specifically the bald eagle and mountain lion spaces. The new wolf habitat in the Tundra Trek is great though, feels like they have a lot more space to roam while also enhancing visibility for guests. That was my line of thinking for ways to enhance the Canadian Domain.

If you notice, things like the Moose habitat are massive. Around the backside of that runs the monorail guideway.

In the 30 years we were Canada, my parents never took us to the Canadian domain because it would take too long to go up and down. Numerous trips at school avoided the walk up and down as well.

Back