23 June 2012: The problem with modern construction is it looks very cheap. Would you pay a million bucks for ?

20120623200656.jpg

I've been watching these go up and they look really nice. the grey stone with the warm wood cladding to me at least looks as good live as it did in the renderings.

hey,

I can't speak for the quality of construction... though as someone who's bought our family home at BLOCK up the street (different developer but same look, architect and interior designers) i have to hope these homes are made half decently. But to a layman like myself the aesthetic looks nice to me and I must say I'm impressed.

here's a photo I took today
Toronto-20120922-00187.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto-20120922-00187.jpg
    Toronto-20120922-00187.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 846
I really like the look of them. The exterior finishes look sharp, mature.

I just pray on the inside there's a vertical concrete pour wall or at least a double sound-sealed concrete block wall between units. I noticed when the new townhomes were going up in Regent Park I was shocked it was all wood with no solid fire, sound or bug stopper wall between one unit and another.
I wouldn't want to pay for one of these places to have it be porous to sounds from a neighbour. Anyone know of any other good soundproofing methods they might be using?

according to the website they're using double 2x4 with soundproofing insulation, and then leaving an air gap wall between the party walls for added buffer. I don't think it's ideal but it's not the worst case scenario.

I was jogging by the site yesterday and saw one of the women from Cecconi Simmone going in one of the almost finished units to inspect the kitchen instillation. looks good

wow, such differing opinions !

I just pray on the inside there's a vertical concrete pour wall or at least a double sound-sealed concrete block wall between units. I noticed when the new townhomes were going up in Regent Park I was shocked it was all wood with no solid fire, sound or bug stopper wall between one unit and another.

I was jogging by the site yesterday and saw one of the women from Cecconi Simmone going in one of the almost finished units to inspect the kitchen instillation. looks good

Awful. Really cheap and dreary looking considering their price point. I have seen better-looking similar-scaled projects in Montreal selling for a fifth of the price here.

These don't look cheap at all! They look sharp! Just imagine when construction is finished and when greenery sprouts how amazing these buildings will look!

I wouldn't want to pay for one of these places to have it be porous to sounds from a neighbour. Anyone know of any other good soundproofing methods they might be using?

Its a misconception that concrete is a good sound insulator ... its not the best at all, it sounds like what they're using may be even better .

Its a misconception that concrete is a good sound insulator ... its not the best at all, it sounds like what they're using may be even better .

I agree. I think poured concrete soundproofing is highly overrated mainly because there are all kinds of holes that are drilled into the concrete for all kinds of wiring and recepticals that the 8 inches of concrete becomes 4 inches in some areas.

I have lived in some concrete buildings that were very quiet. I have lived in others where I heard all kinds of things...including sex noises. LOL. Imagine paying $1,000,000 for a place and hearing your neighbor breath? I'd lose my mind.

Back to this project. Looks good so far. Doesn't look cheap at all.

Back