It's a shame that Pemberton's regrettable buildings on the south side left 5 consecutive blocks of dead streetscape and wasted opportunity though.

I was just thinking that from the pic above. It's a killjoy for the area. I'm all for intensification but not if it looks like that! I'm not a design person, so what went wrong with the Pemberton block?

^ As mentioned on previous page, disallowing restaurants in these buildings is a major factor as it deprives the possibility for what is the most engaging and interactive form of retail usage. On a design standpoint, having repetitively uniformed green framing and precast pillars creates a monotonous streetscape of entrepreneurial bleakness. It hinders the potential for creative branding and distinctive storefronts. Trendy retailers require spaces that are homey and stimulating.

Of course, not everywhere can be trendy. It's interesting that BlogTO rarely covers indie shops along Eglinton, St Clair, the Danforth etc. To many hundreds of thousands of Torontonians, it is these strips that are "cool" to them.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...ion=init&folderRsn=3099139&isCofASearch=false

Design by Richard Zeigler - there are architectural drawings in the link

KVHQqgX.png

Action on site at the weekend

8v2AjYH.jpg

F I N A L L Y

Wow, that has taken forever to start. Is any of the commercial space leased yet next door?

Earlier today…

DSC09169.jpg
DSC09170.jpg
DSC09171.jpg

Attachments

• DSC09169.jpg
    DSC09169.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 853
  • DSC09170.jpg
    DSC09170.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 857
  • DSC09171.jpg
    DSC09171.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 862
the rendering seems to be missing the wooden hydro poles laden with transformers and a billion wires going all over the place

the rendering seems to be missing the wooden hydro poles laden with transformers and a billion wires going all over the place

LOL... If I had a dollar everytime someone posted ...

Back