Hey @Marcanadian may I pick your brain as to why this station is your favourite over Pioneer Village?

This is coming from someone who has only experienced it through your photos :)

That skylight is pretty breathtaking in person, and I'm a fan of the Star Trek-like aesthetic of it all. I'd say the two are virtually tied; I love the weathered steel of Pioneer Village, the angled concrete columns at platform level, and that gorgeous bus terminal. I'll probably waver back and forth but they're definitely my two favourites of the six.

That skylight is pretty breathtaking in person, and I'm a fan of the Star Trek-like aesthetic of it all. I'd say the two are virtually tied; I love the weathered steel of Pioneer Village, the angled concrete columns at platform level, and that gorgeous bus terminal. I'll probably waver back and forth but they're definitely my two favourites of the six.

Pioneer Village takes more of a Star Wars approach.

I don't see an access to the station from the southbound 400. The on ramp from the 400 to the 407 bypasses the Jane St exit.

Passengers coming from the 400 South would have to exit at Hwy 7, turn South at Jane and access the station from Jane. Would it not have been wise to allow people to access the station from the 407-Jane st offramp?

they can. From the 407. The 407 Jane interchange is far too close to the 400 to allow access.
There could be a connection from the 400 N/S to 407 E ramp to the 407 E to Jane off ramp. However, there doesn’t seem to be enough space for proper lane switching and toll “gates” may have to be moved.

Unfortunately, this station is the poster-child for government incompetence, extravagance and waste. Just the location alone speaks volumes of the tin-eared egotism of certain politicians and their delusions of grandeur. Rising from the surrounding cornfields we have a veritable Taj Mahal to public infrastructure that will be lucky to attract a couple thousand users per day. It's all well and nice to provide transport palaces to hypothetical throngs of people 50 years in the future, but not at the expense of the present.

Meanwhile, 65,000 people per day stuff themselves into the King Streetcar which grinds along almost at a standstill; another 40,000 ride the Dufferin Bus every day and that route has no plans for any improvements whatsoever.

It's wasteful monuments like this that fuel the popularity of the Doug Fords of the world.

Unfortunately, this station is the poster-child for government incompetence, extravagance and waste. Just the location alone speaks volumes of the tin-eared egotism of certain politicians and their delusions of grandeur. Rising from the surrounding cornfields we have a veritable Taj Mahal to public infrastructure that will be lucky to attract a couple thousand users per day. It's all well and nice to provide transport palaces to hypothetical throngs of people 50 years in the future, but not at the expense of the present.

Meanwhile, 65,000 people per day stuff themselves into the King Streetcar which grinds along almost at a standstill; another 40,000 ride the Dufferin Bus every day and that route has no plans for any improvements whatsoever.

It's wasteful monuments like this that fuel the popularity of the Doug Fords of the world.
Well said. This stuff boils my blood. The intersection of transportation planning and electoral politics is vexed and discouraging.

Except its the Doug Fords of this world that are the ones pushing for subway, subway, subway even if much cheaper solutions are perfectly suitable.

Indeed - it seems like there are too many stations serving this undeveloped corner of the city. Were Pioneer village AND Hwy 407 necessary? It seems completely wasteful

Indeed - it seems like there are too many stations serving this undeveloped corner of the city. Were Pioneer village AND Hwy 407 necessary? It seems completely wasteful

Pioneer Village Station is on the north boundaries of York University and also would be fed by the 60 Steeles bus. Highway 407 Station would be fed by GO buses.

The bigger waste is probably YRT and TTC building their own bus terminals at Pioneer Village. I mean, it makes sense in a way because Steeles is a municipal border, after all. Imagine if buses crossed it. Chaos!!

The bigger waste is probably YRT and TTC building their own bus terminals at Pioneer Village. I mean, it makes sense in a way because Steeles is a municipal border, after all. Imagine if buses crossed it. Chaos!!

It should have been designed like the current STC terminal - a fare gate between the two, sure (which could later be removed!), but common layover areas and an easy transfer between YRT and TTC buses. The transfer at Pioneer Village won't be fun for those who might need it.

Back