Important to note the only supplier I know of that makes the wavy curtain wall popularized by SANAA went under during covid, so that may have had an effect on the design outcome here.

Jan 5

IMG_0612.jpeg

The night time lighting of this looks great, really highlighting those cornices!
UofT is doing a whole lot these days that really shows how much they absolutely love and are proud of this campus. It's not just improving the university but making our city a better place, one project at a time. I hope more architects and designers take note of this lighting because even though it seems insignificant, it completely changes the whole feel of the entire area around it, and considering how much darkness we have in the winter I genuinely believe it wouldn't be as horrible if more of our outdoor spaces had more architectural lighting like this.

Did I just write an entire paragraph swooning over some lights? yes. Do I care? no.

The College Street entrance doors really irk me. Why not make them the same size? I also don't understand the reasoning for the elevations at the front- doesn't seem to me like stairs should have been needed from that diagonal path southwest away from the front doors. Maintaining that hill with window wells on the College side also gives me mixed feelings.

The College Street entrance doors really irk me. Why not make them the same size? I also don't understand the reasoning for the elevations at the front- doesn't seem to me like stairs should have been needed from that diagonal path southwest away from the front doors. Maintaining that hill with window wells on the College side also gives me mixed feelings.
Now that you mentioned those 2 different doors I can't unsee it. They should have been the same size.

The College Street entrance doors really irk me. Why not make them the same size?

Good question, one would like to assume there is/was a reason............how good that reason was, I'm not sure........ I concur the appearance of that is an issue.

I also don't understand the reasoning for the elevations at the front- doesn't seem to me like stairs should have been needed from that diagonal path southwest away from the front doors.

I'm again in agreement, based on the photos, I'd need to see it from the front and/or overhead to be sure, but my instinct is that it seems unnecessary.

I don't like the large concrete retaining walls. I get the need for a retaining barrier, but plain concrete is so dull and cheap. You can do that underneath if you want, but just cap the top and exposed faces with limestone or granite pretty please. Its not a nothing expense, but its a rounding error on this project which would improve its appearance far more than the sum involved might suggest.

Last edited:

Back