DSCN2478_zps9c9dc85a.jpg

DSCN2485_zps118fc298.jpg

Football fans' dreams of the Double Blue one day returning to one of the sports' hallowed sites seems less remote with every new building buffering the site. Football started at this school and so much of the sports rich history is tied up at Varsity. The new building looks great, but it's coupled with a huge sense of sadness. For football folk, the site is as close to sacred as you can get.

All culture goes through periods in history when it is threatened and faces destruction. The last few decades have certainly been 'Dark Ages' for this part of our culture. My hope is that many decades from now people will realize what has been destroyed and that this be restored as a place for football, and football alone. These newer buildings should one day be replaced with grand stands so that professional football can one day return.

This is akin to someone constructing a soccer pitch on St. Andrews golf course in Scotland. Varsity should have been preserved as a football shrine instead of bastardized. What a mess this generation has made of it all. Forgive them, for they know not what they have done. :(

At least Varsity still play here. The Blue & White Song and 2 lines from it that bear repeating:

Yes, we'll hail thee,
Ne'er we'll fail thee

The whole thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYVKHCN6VQ

Last edited:
I appreciate your passion for football isaidso but how does using this land for professional football serve the interests of the University of Toronto, research, and amateur sport?

Old Toronto, mother ever dear
All thy sons thy very name revere
IMG_20140204_143425.jpg

God forever bless our Alma Mater.

-photo from yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_20140204_143425.jpg
    IMG_20140204_143425.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 830
From earlier today:

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2553.jpg
    IMG_2553.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_2555.jpg
    IMG_2555.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 742
  • IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 749
Hey what time were you in the 'hood? I was snapping away around 9am (can't upload due to an expired imageshack acct :( ) and decided they've ruined the feel of the St George Campus with all these generic glass boxes. UofT should've mandated stone, brick etc on all their downtown buildings to maintain a certain air of quality.

I think for a long time U of T has been in a constant state of architectural revision. What's notable about the campus isn't the uniformity of the buildings, but their diversity. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing; it's just a point about what's actually there. Think for instance Trinity college or UC vs the Medical Building on the s/e corner of the front lawn. Or Robarts, of course.

Hey what time were you in the 'hood? I was snapping away around 9am (can't upload due to an expired imageshack acct)

About 3 PM for me. (Re: your One Bloor East comment, only had my phone with me.)

You no longer need to link to an outside image host to post photos here. You can upload directly to UT from your computer, files up to 2 MB in size. Just do the resizing (downsizing) on your own machine first.

U of T is all about architectural diversity, and they've maintained high architectural standards for all of their buildings.

U of T is all about architectural diversity, and they've maintained high architectural standards for all of their buildings.

Most of their buildings.

This thing is awful:

IMG_1943-800x400.jpg

To be fair the interiors are alright, and the scale is nice as well. In any case, it shows why demanding brick or stone wouldn't lead to 'a certain air of quality'.

^^^
I personally really like Innis Residence hall (the above building) because it so breaks free from the box, especially with Rotman next door and its unabashed boxiness. I find the different materials and forms make it visually interesting too.

Back