Never said that. They designed McKinsey and Bader, so it would be a natural progression to have them work on Wymilwood/Goldring. Their style would've worked well with the existing Wymilwood building too.

The implication was that H+P were the original architects and at some point were swapped out for M+T.

Never said that. They designed McKinsey and Bader, so it would be a natural progression to have them work on Wymilwood/Goldring. Their style would've worked well with the existing Wymilwood building too.

Wrong again. Bader was by Lett/Smith, but I'm sure H+P would have designed a fine building all the same.

Weird. I was sure they had a hand in Bader-- I remember reading about how Bader was designed to go along well with McKinsey-- but I suppose that just means that Lett/Smith was highly sensitive to the surrounding area and deserve credit.

Regardless of these details, I feel that the McKinsey Building aesthetic-- or rather a "Hariri Pontarini" aesthetic is a fairly timeless yet still very detailed and intricately attractive one, and should have been used on the Wymilwood expansion/Goldring Centre.

Nice Mr. Clewes appears to have take that approach with the town homes at nearbye U condo, but I think Moriyama and Teshima's deferential design works well here - I'm heartened that the student puppets appointed to the subcommittee were made to dance nicely in selecting them.

How is this design deferential? Deferential to what? To my eyes it stands apart and alone.

They've put up a crane for this, and it looks like most of the trees around Marg Ad have been torn down.

`
wymilwooda16.jpg

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 2C7

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 111659 BLD 01 BA Accepted Date: Aug 22, 2011

Project: University Multiple Projects

Description: Revision: Alteration to shoring. PLEASE NOTE THE CONVENIENCE ADDRESS IS 150 CHARLES ST W - VICTORIA UNIVERSITY @ UofT. Renovation of existing heritage building (the 'Wymilwood" building) and construction of new 3 storey student centre addition (to be the "Goldring Student Centre"). - See 09 129916 STE 27 SA for Site plan approval application.

Is Margaret Addison residence open during construction?
in the renders it shows ivey growing on the glass, i thought that didn't happen so much.

From Jan 22, earlier this "winter":

GoldringSC20110122cjw.jpg

Quick story on the front page here.

Back