Maybe KPMB's proposal got short-listed purely for the fact that it's so different from the imaginative proposals, just to set it apart.

Just like most of their proposals ;).

I like KPMB, but I think we've had enough of them in that area...and their proposal doesn't hold up to the other two.

Having gone over the 3 proposals in more detail, I think I agree with officedweller that the S+H scheme is the most legible; though I think the way S+P had really a very interesting proposal vis-a-vis Philsopher's walk. Don't have a lot of good things to say about KPMB, other than the general Master Plan with the Faculty of Music and the nitty-gritty like the underground parking.

p5:

Indeed, I was pretty suprised by how the spiral staircase resembled Gehry's AGO. Interesting, it's a very "Toronto" thing to do - Diamond + Schmitt has one in Bahen Centre (and another at U of Guelph at Humber (?); KPMB has one at Field's Institute...

AoD

This probably has something to do with the expansion project:

Unprecedented Announcement at U of T Law School
Thursday, Nov. 29 at 1:00 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Law Alumni:

At 1:00 pm (EST) today, the law school will be making an unprecedented announcment. We will be broadcasting the announcment live via web cast, and invite you to click on the following link at 1:00 pm to join us for this special moment.

http://mediacast.ic.utoronto.ca/20071129-LAW/index.htm

S&P for me. I think it best reflects what's going on at the other end of Queens Park Circle. Only the S&P proposal really takes the entire block into consideration, and integrates the ROM site into the Faculty's design.

Wow, I really like the S+P proposal. I especially like the way it sits adjacent to Philosopher's Walk.

haha, what a dork! (watching presentation)
..... doesn't sound like the re-development announcement.

Is this just a "David Asper Centre for Constitutional Rights" announcement? (I wonder how much advocacy there will be for Palestinian Rights - sorry, couldn't resist). I guess though the funding will go towards the building.

Definitely the best design was chosen. It has the potential to be quite beautiful actually, and it will be situated among other new, great works of architecture. Do they have the funding to break ground on this, or does money need to be raised still?

Hooray for the second most exciting plan!

Hariri Pontarini to design university law facility
GUY DIXON
From Friday's Globe and Mail
February 29, 2008 at 4:19 AM EST
Toronto — Toronto architectural firm Hariri Pontarini has been chosen to design the expansion of the University of Toronto's Faculty of Law, in a corner of the city already teaming with architectural activity, from the renovated Royal Ontario Museum to soon-to-come additions to the Royal Conservatory of Music.

With new programs growing over the last 10 years and its faculty doubling, the law school needed more space. Design firms were asked to incorporate nearby Queen's Park and Philosopher's Walk into their submissions.

This, in addition to the Royal Conservatory renovation, helps to revive Philosopher's Walk - as should the ROM's latest proposal for the Planetarium site.

Wait - - - which latest proposal? How many pages back in the ROM thread is it mentioned, if it is? Is it official yet, or is it just at the rumour stage? Please reply in this thread.

I guess a Hariri Pontarini district really is forming.

Having taken another look at the three proposals, I'd say they selected the best one. I like how it befriends Philosopher's Walk and Queen's Park and the layout of the new structure seems the most logical, not to mention it appears to add more floor space than S+P. KPMB's plan was wretched.

Back