High res renderings are now up:

View attachment 219582View attachment 219583View attachment 219584View attachment 219585View attachment 219586View attachment 219587

That is one very fancy parking garage entrance.
Yeah, it made much more sense (obviously) when the plan was still to incorporate a cafe into it, but now it just seems excessive. They should at least plop some chairs and tables under the overhangs once it's built, and perhaps do whatever it is they have to do to get a little coffee truck/cart there as well.
Agreed that it seems excessive now… but at the same time it looks too insubstantial for the U of T complex. I'm not against modernism here, but while this makes sense as a pavilion at Corktown Common, here something with beefier framing elements would feel more at home amongst the U of T's weighty institutional buildings of all ages and styles.

It's not even that large of a garage.. I mean you may have 200 people a day walk in and out of that, if you are lucky. It's not going to be busy.

In fading light last night; hadn’t appreciated this is now under way, which is great. Whole thing is fenced off, tree protection zones set up, and a bunch of digging has occurred.

EE84A4E0-9241-4033-9509-BCBEDD7FC15C.jpeg
915799C9-A42A-4ED6-B58B-FBAC4016E77E.jpeg

Apparently there will be a massive geothermal heating system installed underneath the garage. The other piece of good news is that the barren podium/interior courtyard at Med Sci will be landscaped. It's all in in the U of T Governing Council Planning and Budget Committee reports.

AoD

U of T News putting out a post/article on this project:

U of T News putting out a post/article on this project:

Some very deep digging slated to occur here: "Once the identified trees are suitably protected, drilling rigs will excavate four feet into the existing topsoil, creating a platform from which more than 420 geoexchange boreholes will be dug to a depth of around 240 metres."

TBH, still mildly disappointed that the plan doesn't include the recreation of the old Taddle Creek reflecting pool beside the old observatory/student union building, and still doesn't really resolve U of T's relationship to University Avenue and Queen's Park (the space fronting University Avenue is still 'back campus').

EOvgp6NX4AIrrzW

Small steps I suppose, and maybe the latter will need to wait until University Avenue gets its remake!

Last edited:
The water from Taddle Creek is now hopelessly intermingled with sanitary sewage, so using the original water source is a non-starter.

But either of a clean-water source fountain/reflecting pool and/or stormwater pond could easily be done.

Either way, the existing bridge/underpass set up has to go.

Either eliminate this as a vehicular access point completely, or bring it back to grade, and make it a grand entrance.

If the University Bike lanes are made permanent (here's hoping); and they are extended up Avenue Road which is also given wider sidewalks, there will be a dramatic reduction in car volume on Queen's Park Circle.

South of Hoskin and Wellesley there won't be justification for more than 2 lanes in each direction.

That leaves 2 real options, one is simply scaling back both sides of the circle to 2-lane roads plus cycle tracks; the other would be to route all 4 lanes along the eastern flank of the circle; and remove the western route south of Hoskin to almost College.

The circle seems like a natural design choice and the namesake of the road.

But removing the western flank could allow for a suitable remembrance of the ravine, even without water, creating a 40M wide forest from Hoskin going south, with openings for paths.

I'm open to either idea.

Last edited:
I thought Taddle Creek was slightly more Westerly where Christie Pits and Trinity Bellwoods sit now.

Back