How many students and faculty are on St. George campus on a given day (pre and post-COVID)? 30,000? They ain't all taking public transit and they need a place to park. For whatever reason, people drive. Better to put the "almighty car" underground and out of sight than parked all around Kings College Circle and the rest.

Once this is done, banish cars from the whole campus, for all I care.

I don't think anyone was advocating for above ground parking.

The question was rather one of whether the underground parking in this particular spot was needed; but also having tendered for it, could anything better be done w/that one-level structure under front campus. The answer on the latter may well be 'no' in the short term, a food hall/court for instance would require loading facilities which were not designed into the space, as well as vents, and a good deal more plumbing amongst other things.

But I do come down on the side of those saying the parking here wasn't needed; there's other parking on campus; and this facility will be very small and is largely for the convenience of a few senior management.

If more parking were required/desired on campus, better to include it in new-builds of size at the campus fringe.

How many students and faculty are on St. George campus on a given day (pre and post-COVID)? 30,000? They ain't all taking public transit and they need a place to park. For whatever reason, people drive. Better to put the "almighty car" underground and out of sight than parked all around Kings College Circle and the rest.

Once this is done, banish cars from the whole campus, for all I care.
But how many of them actually drive to this campus if a large percentage is in walking distance to it?

One thing I can say by cutting through the St George campus via various points in the anecdote - and even now during the pandemic - that there never seems to be an over abundance of parked cars. Currently, the largest offenders are construction and film crews for parked vehicles. But like the pandemic, I suspect they are only temporary (hopefully). And they tend to gravitate to where they are doing their work.

Meanwhile there doesn't seem to be a glaring need for underground parking for faculty and students here from where I walk.

Last edited:
Spaces for 267 vehicles and 226 bicycles is nothing to sneeze at. If it proves over time that not that much space is needed for cars, some car spaces could be converted to bicycle parking, at a rate of about 20 bikes per space in high density racks. I mean, some day they could go full Dutch here and end up with a 5,000+ bike parking facility. One can dream…

Whenever I am on the campus on a weekday, it's king's college circle parking that fills up first. It's the places on the fringes that tend to have lots of space. Parking is needed here in at least some capacity. For accessibility reasons, all buildings on the campus should have some form of parking nearby. Yes, a lot of faculty and staff drive in too. Then, of course, there are people that need to pop into buildings for only a short time, for whom it wouldn't make sense to park on the fringes and walk over to their building, and then have to walk all the way back to their cars.

Whenever there are big events (famous speakers, graduations, reunions, etc), parking on campus is FULL.

Last edited:
I assume work here has been paused since the late-April lockdown measures, can anyone confirm this?

Also, does anyone know the estimated schedule / completion here? I've read through this thread and their website and cannot find any indication of a timeline...

Very much looking forward to this and I think will be a huge improvement to campus!

Also, does anyone know the estimated schedule / completion here? I've read through this thread and their website and cannot find any indication of a timeline...

From my post on the previous page:

1621009012083.png

I assume work here has been paused since the late-April lockdown measures, can anyone confirm this?

Very much looking forward to this and I think will be a huge improvement to campus!
I passed by last week and saw some workers. Maybe they're exempt because the site is completely outdoor, or because it's an education facility.

Work has not stopped on campus projects, in fact they keep fencing off more portions for various projects including repaving of Tower Rd and work on footpaths. It's seriously annoying trying to walk through the university right now because half the paths are closed.

Yeah...walked passed there today (via Hoskin Avenue) on a Covid pounds reduction walk, and the only way to cut through there now if you have business with the University. Everyone else is directed through to Queens Park North.

Work continues apace here, including, now, on the Tower Road section, and at Med. Sci.

Photos taken May 30th, 2021:

1622413126243.png

1622413150654.png

I noticed a new (presumably temporary) roadway has been built:

1622413207969.png

At Med Sci, the path to Queen's Park and University Avenue is now closed for its refresh:

1622413267815.png

As to the 'main event'.........see below:

1622413306598.png

1622413501717.png

1622413332460.png

1622413461780.png

1622413568753.png

Last edited:
Looking back though...

...which of these overview plans are they going with?

Back