About time I posted picks from the homecoming/ceremonial opening in mid-September.

IMG_5201.jpg
IMG_5202.jpg
IMG_5203.jpg

What blows me away the most about the rebuild, is what's under the front lawn:

IMG_5204.jpg
IMG_5205.jpg
IMG_5206.jpg
IMG_5207.jpg
IMG_5208.jpg
IMG_5209.jpg
IMG_5210.jpg
IMG_5211.jpg
IMG_5212.jpg

…and the atrium with the original exterior walls is pretty cool too!

Into some of the classrooms next, starting with some of the science labs:

IMG_5213.jpg
IMG_5214.jpg
IMG_5215.jpg

One of two art rooms:

IMG_5216.jpg

This black box theatre space was previously a gym, used for volleyball and gymnastics:

IMG_5217.jpg

One of two music rooms below the black box. This, way back when, was the school pool, all gone now…

IMG_5218.jpg

Meanwhile, the new auditorium is vaulted up above the front lawn. The frit on the windows was designed by a student.

IMG_5225.jpg
IMG_5226.jpg
IMG_5227.jpg

An alum speaking remotely above, and an alum talking about the design of the new building below.

IMG_5228.jpg

Ceremonial ribbon-cutting.

IMG_5229.jpg

Finally, they left a couple of the old stairs as they were way back when. Nice to have them for the memories.

IMG_5230.jpg

Last edited:
Disappointed that the music room has no wall sized Moog's and such to show students that not all music is generated from quaint string and wind instruments...

...er that said, it looks quite good!

With all the exposed interior concrete in the gym area that doesn't look architectural (e.g. no polish/sheen or board-form texturing), I feel there should have been a memo to all involved that they were building an athletics facility and not a utilitarian parking garage.

I'm troubled by the normalization of essentially not finishing interiors at all to save money. It seemingly started with subway station interiors and is now spreading. It's not modern design if it's just structural concrete with no architectural finish.

Last edited:
With all the exposed interior concrete in the gym area that doesn't look architectural (e.g. no polish/sheen or board form texturing), I feel there should have been a memo to all involved that they were building an athletics facility and not a utilitarian parking garage.

I'm troubled by the normalization of essentially not finishing interiors at all to save money. It seemingly started with subway station interiors and is now spreading. It's not modern design if it's just structural concrete with no architectural finish.
Seriously, I was going to say that concrete work ain't good enough to warrant being exposed; I'm getting Cold War-era bunker vibes here lol. They should've taken a trip down to the Ace Hotel to see how it's done*

*yes, I know I'm going to get lambasted for comparing the two which obviously have significant budgetary differences.

Disappointed that the music room has no wall sized Moog's and such to show students that not all music is generated from quaint string and wind instruments...

No computers with music notation software (such as Finale or Sibelius) either!

Not just that, but the art room is also lacking computers with drawing monitors (such as Wacom Cintiq Pro or Huion Kamvas Pro) to show that not all visual art is generated from using paint, pastels, chalk, ink, graphite, plaster, clay, plasticine, wood, stone, paper, or canvas.

...nor Ableton Live..

And I'm surprised they didn't have their art classroom in some cave where they can paint the local fauna on its walls. >.<

Last edited:

Not just that, but the art room is also lacking computers with drawing monitors (such as Wacom Cintiq Pro or Huion Kamvas Pro) to show that not all visual art is generated from using paint, pastels, chalk, ink, graphite, plaster, clay, plasticine, wood, stone, paper, or canvas.
I did say that those were each one of two rooms (that I saw) for each type of instruction, and I'm only giving you a small smattering of the classrooms, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusions you did!

I did say that those were each one of two rooms (that I saw) for each type of instruction, and I'm only giving you a small smattering of the classrooms, so I wouldn't jump to the conclusions you did!

Fair enough...

...and wait, they have a Moog? 😻

Back