ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score

Site Plan Approval Application for a proposed 6-storey addition to existing academic building consisting of approximately 3,767 square metres of new non-residential floor area and one level below grade.

Can't quite picture which building is being expanded.

117 is the Barton Meyers / KPMB Woodsworth building which sits behind these old houses. 119 St. George is its street-facing address (right side of this image):

117.JPG

It's basically an open hall behind that entrance, which can definitely be intensified. I do hope they hire KPMB for this though.

AoD

Hmmm. I have some concerns w/the height here, but I'm open minded on the point.

My concerns would be 2-fold.

One is that it not adversely affect the 'feel' of the heritage portion of the building, facing St. George.

The other concern I have is whether this will substantially shadow the court yard and preclude a successful tree there in the future.

But as I said, I'm of an open mind on this being made to work.....need to see what they have in mind.

As per the development applications webpage, the architectural plans were (re)submitted on May 11, 2020. It's the same as the renderings posted above.

If referring to the physical condition of the site itself currently, then work hasn't begun yet.

Addition rendering showing a close up of the facade pattern:

20200826_062415.jpg

117-119 St. George Street - Zoning Amendment Application - Final Report

This item will be considered by Toronto and East York Community Council on September 16, 2020. It will be considered by City Council on September 30, 2020, subject to the actions of the Toronto and East York Community Council.

-----------
Intention to Designate under Part IV, Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, Alterations to Designated Heritage Properties and Authority to Enter into Heritage Easement Agreements - 117 St George Street

The future Woodsworth College Expansion is a winner of the 2021 Canadian Architect Award of Merit:

Site has had fencing up for some weeks now, and the College has been sending out fundraising calls.

For nearly 50 years, Woodsworth has built a reputation as a welcoming place that offers pathways to higher education for people of all backgrounds. As it has grown, Woodworth has remained true to its founding values with part-time students continuing to make up roughly one-third of the College. In addition, programs such as the Millie Rotman Shime Academic Bridging Program, Diploma to Degree, 65+ and SEE U of T uphold Woodsworth's commitment to access and social mobility.

While Woodsworth has grown into one of the largest colleges at U of T by population, it is still one of the smallest colleges in terms of physical footprint. Space constraints are affecting the College's ability to deliver the programming and academic excellence for which Woodsworth is renowned.

The renovation and expansion will change all this.

The new six-storey building will provide dramatic improvements for academics and student services, including the creation of Woodsworth's first-ever learning commons.

Furthermore, the Registrar's Office and Dean of Students will be situated side-by-side, creating a "one-stop shop" to help students with everything from academics and finances to mental health counselling, housing, and other supports.

The benefits of this new building will improve the learning and student experience at Woodsworth and help us build a much stronger sense of belonging across our community—reinforcing our reputation as a place to belong.

Back