AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

Currently in design, Moriyama & Teshima Architects are the design consultant for a 145,000 SF building for the Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Waterloo. Math4 will not only house dry labs, offices, graduate student spaces, and major server infrastructure for several departments within Math but it will provide the new home for Faculty specific student services. The Math Faculty undergraduate services will provide faculty-specific support to one of the university’s most popular and distinguished programs. Located on the second floor with a variety of open, semi-private and confidential spaces to support and guide students, the Student Services must strike the right balance of accessibility, openness, and both safety and confidentiality for students who may be in vulnerable or sensitive situations in their academic journey.

The Math4 building will provide space for expansion of Computer Science, Statistics, and other growing programs while liberating space in existing math buildings. It will also provide new space for the faculty’s server room, the brain of this internationally renowned program’s research. Additionally, as the University continues to attract faculty and graduate students, there will be a mix of dry labs and numerous private offices. The design also prioritizes connections to the existing Math buildings, completing and supporting the Math community as a whole.

This new state-of-the-art academic building will also connect the existing math buildings – the Davis Centre, the Math and Computers Building, and Math 3, to become the nucleolus of the faculty, a hive of innovation with light and space to inspire collision, collaboration, and contemplation. It will host research institutes in vital fields such as fintech, data science, and cryptography. It will feature classrooms and collision spaces to encourage interaction and collaboration among faculty, students, staff, and external partners. By creating a vibrant and singular environment, the new building will accelerate leading-edge math and computer science research as well as foster a culture of innovation and collaboration.

210130_N13.jpg
210130_N15.jpg
210130_N11.jpg
210130_N18.jpg
math.JPG
210130_N17.jpg
210130_N16.jpg
210130_N12.jpg

It has a very 60s vintage about to be, like a retro look at the future.

I have to laugh at this bit of the description though:

a hive of innovation with light and space to inspire collision,

Seriously? Is this what 'Impactful learning' has come to?

How about interaction, meeting, cross-disciplinary work etc.

Stunning! Although I wish that upper part was more glass and less metal, I honestly think that would make it a 10/10 for me.

Oh the memories ... I graduated in 99, and visited a couple of times in the early naughts. This looks relatively "simple" and so should fit right in with the existing (bland as I remember it) buildings.

Oh the memories ... I graduated in 99, and visited a couple of times in the early naughts. This looks relatively "simple" and so should fit right in with the existing (bland as I remember it) buildings.
I'm about a decade after you and it has changed all lot from when I attended.

1693941007644.png

From the project website, lots more interior renderings and info here:

Construction is expected to begin in December.

Back