Tourists everywhere have to navigate to get to train stations, airports, etc. They follow signs. There'll be signs for them here too, and they'll be led through something that looks a thousand times better than Station Street does now, and they'll do it in climate controlled comfort.

I wouldn't count on signage being adequate. It's one thing Toronto seems to be terrible at. The point is that such an important transit point should be highly visible from the street. It should be obvious where it is when you're on Front Street.

So long before this is finished, you've already decided they've screwed it up?

I wouldn't count on signage being adequate. It's one thing Toronto seems to be terrible at.

Wait for it to be installed first. Bad signage is hardly unique to this city (and it isn't as universally awful here as suggested).

Wait for it to be installed first. Bad signage is hardly unique to this city (and it isn't as universally awful here as suggested).

Yes, actually, it is. Toronto has some of the worst wayfinding signage of any city I've lived in. The biggest offender is the TTC, but even the street signage is bad. I can't tell you how many times I've sat at an intersection on my bike wondering exactly which street I'm at because the sign is rusted, hidden or non-existent. Not to mention the clutter, there are far too many useless signs that make it difficult to see information that matters.

I do have hope, however. The new street wayfinding project the city is working on looks quite good. Unfortunately, the new wayfinding project the TTC is piloting is contrastingly horrible.

Any inside info on this one? It's been 6 months since we've heard about it now, is it any closer to becoming a reality?

Allied has the not-fully-leased QRC WEst under construction, and many buildings in the planning stages. It allows them to move forward with whichever one gets enough leasing interest to make it viable. That said, there's a specific push to get their office tower at The Well done soon. This one… who knows, but the central location right at Union Station certainly makes it attractive.

P23, I'm sure you are being sincere and I'm not defending Toronto's signage or culture of apathy, but come on. I challenge you to use road signs to find a residential address in Calgary. I challenge you to find your way around Shinjuku station in Tokyo. Or how about finding any address in Japan or Asia in general.

I wouldn't count on signage being adequate. It's one thing Toronto seems to be terrible at. The point is that such an important transit point should be highly visible from the street. It should be obvious where it is when you're on Front Street.

If signage in Toronto is as terrible as you say, I hardly see how this building is going to make it any harder to find the UPX station than the current set up. Certainly walking into a large airy lobby (which presumably will have a receptionist who can provide directions) will be far more inviting then walking up one of those piss-soaked stairwells off Station Street.

Is there even currently a way for disabled people to get to the Skywalk from the west?

Yes, actually, it is. Toronto has some of the worst wayfinding signage of any city I've lived in. The biggest offender is the TTC, but even the street signage is bad. I can't tell you how many times I've sat at an intersection on my bike wondering exactly which street I'm at because the sign is rusted, hidden or non-existent. Not to mention the clutter, there are far too many useless signs that make it difficult to see information that matters.

I spend some time in Manhattan and Brooklyn recently, and what a difference. I never had to guess where I was.

I spend some time in Manhattan and Brooklyn recently, and what a difference. I never had to guess where I was.

This whole signage debate will be irrelevant in 3-5 years when 90% of people will be wearing some equivalent of Google Glass all the time. The public toilet situation will actually require infrastructure investment, though. If you have no idea about technology trends and you insist it is 7-10 years out then it isn`t worth arguing but the point stands.

[video=youtube;ClvI9fZaz6M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvI9fZaz6M[/video]

I am glad this one is moving forward. It is great to see more transit-oriented office developments popping up adjacent to Union station.

I am a bit confused on their plan for the skywalk. I read the application document and the end result is puzzling. I take it from the proposal that the eastern skywalk (the one that always doubles for airports in commercials) will be completely removed and replaced with a path of some type that is integrated with the UP station and the building's lobby. It will no longer have the galleria rooftop and instead be replaced with a green roof. Does that mean there will be no ceiling windows? And will there be any changes to the western skywalk (the walkway above tracks)? Correct me if I don't understand the application properly. It will be a shame to lose the galleria roof.

Back