I was nauseated on a Georgetown line trip a few months back because of the diesel exhaust from the train which could be seen billowing past the window as it growled its way through Weston. Trouble is it wasn't an ARL train or even a GO train - it was a VIA F40PH. Just an example of one of the many trains which will ply the Weston alignment before and after 2015 about which electrification is a null discussion.

If only we were to go back to clean coal:

2233_2333.jpg

This is what is needed for the line.

New Siemens Talents Wien Austria:
[video=youtube;XgF_ZurWKVU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgF_ZurWKVU[/video]
[video=youtube;U0Fsb1MTySE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Fsb1MTySE[/video]

Made my day and trip. These kids were a pain and driver had enough of them during the trip.
[video=youtube;dcAUxKXVziw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcAUxKXVziw[/video]

Last edited:
I'm going to be interested to see what Denver picks for the Gold Line and East Line - their requirement appears to be for 25kV AC high floor FRA compliant EMUs. Given the amount of systems in the US which run EMUs there should a bit more choice in tendering than there was for the ARL DMUs given that the choices were basically Sumitomo or a bankrupt Colorado Railcar.

I'm going to be interested to see what Denver picks for the Gold Line and East Line - their requirement appears to be for 25kV AC high floor FRA compliant EMUs. Given the amount of systems in the US which run EMUs there should a bit more choice in tendering than there was for the ARL DMUs given that the choices were basically Sumitomo or a bankrupt Colorado Railcar.

They already signed a deal with Hyundai-Rotem for a number of Silverliner Vs. See here: http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/media/uploads/ep3/11Commuter_Rail_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They could have gone with Siemens 4 car articulated Talent car or Stadler 5 car articulated one and both are low floor, as well meet ADA standards.

Stadler and Siemens have a 4/5 car double deck articulated car also that is duel end and unlike GO cars.

They could have gone with Siemens 4 car articulated Talent car or Stadler 5 car articulated one and both are low floor, as well meet ADA standards.

Stadler and Siemens have a 4/5 car double deck articulated car also that is duel end and unlike GO cars.
Why would we want to mess around with stuff that would require a waiver from FRA compliance when there are several options available off-the-shelf? Stadler's success in the US is not comparable because the DMU market is completely different to the EMU one.

Why would we want to mess around with stuff that would require a waiver from FRA compliance when there are several options available off-the-shelf? Stadler's success in the US is not comparable because the DMU market is completely different to the EMU one.
Who is talking DMU??

I had to laugh when I saw first class section on this Stadler EMU as it was the same as 2nd behind a screen door. This was in Frankfurt Central Station.

It is a 5 section articulate train with 2 washroom and it meets the ADA and ODA standards. Never saw the seating and standing capacity numbers for the train.

The high step area is to the cab area only.
[video=youtube;Or5AfwFJahc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or5AfwFJahc[/video]

I had to laugh when I saw first class section on this Stadler EMU as it was the same as 2nd behind a screen door.

Just like Paris Metro had 2 classes until the early 90s - but the cars were identical. So why do people pay for first?

Just like Paris Metro had 2 classes until the early 90s - but the cars were identical. So why do people pay for first?

Based on my travel, there is no different between 1st or 2nd class in most cases, as the cars are the same, as well the seating and the service is the same. I heard this before leaving and it was true. Some 1st class cars had no AC and to had to open the windows to cool the car.

I found the washrooms out of action on the first class cars more than the 2nd class cars. In fact, the train from Budapest and Wien were out of action considering the Wien-Frankfurt is 6.5 hour trip. Had to walk 5 cars to get to one that work and an ICE train.

The best seat I had for 1st class was on the Railjet to Budapest and the ICE trains. I forget what train it was, but I did some free stuff to eat and drink on, but the rest you have to pay for it.

On this Stadler car, the area was very small and cannot see what the difference is to make it more costly to use it.

On the Railjet train and ICE, saw little difference between 1st class and Business class to want to pay the extra cost to upgrade to Business.

Well, presumably you're paying to sit in a car with others who have paid more to sit in that car. Given that there are little-to-no extra frills, you're just paying to avoid people who don't have as much extra cash to spend.

Sonoma-Marin chose from six options, actually.
I did exaggerate there, but only four of those six were FRA compliant which was more my point and only two (Siemens FRA and Sumitomo) were willing to commit to Tier 4 Final in order to mitigate the publicity around emissions. Hopefully an ARL EMU order would be able to bring in more finalists than two, and obviously politically if one of them was Bombardier with something like a M7 with a panto to be assembled in TB that would make Queens Park happy.

Back