Sorry if this has been posted but I can't seem to find any info. Is there any info on the station designs for the Terminal 1 and Union station locations of the ARL?

Yes, politics is a huge influence. You kinda need to find the logic through the distortion that politics creates.

Getting re-elected is the first job of a politician.
I was just watching the news and they had John Tory speaking about this new campaign (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...how-would-you-spend-an-extra-32-minutes-a-day) to get the public aware/supporting the $50 billion of capital needed for the Big Move...be noted only 20% ($10bil) of that capital had been committed.

I have to say, I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I thought about how this project represents a bit over 10% of the money committed (a bit over 2% of the $50 billion) and despite the capital spent there are no plans for it to impact anyone's commute!

If anyone asks me "what I would do with an extra 32 minutes"...I'll tell them to keep the extra $40 billion until we see real benefits from the first billions spent!

Driving by yesterday I saw that ARL piers have been poured south of Network Road and shoring for future piers has crossed Campus Rd. Shoring prep crews appear to have reached the clover / spaghetti intersection at 409 and Airport Rd.

It'll be interesting to see how they navigate this interchange.

After visiting 26 major cities in Europe, only 3 cities had express point to point airport rail services at premium price, while the remaining had bus, metro, regional rail, intercity and tram/rail service the airport also at regular transit fare. Those 3 cities with express service had the other type of service also.

Glasgow and Edinburgh only have buses to the airport with Edinburgh having tram service in 2014.

This cry we must have an express service to the airport to be a world class city has always been a joke from day one.

Not having service from the west going to the airport from day one is a huge mistake.

More than 20% of the $50B has been committed for the "Big Move", consider that a nice chuck of that money is to service the cost in the first place, as well operation & maintenance cost as well replacement.

$50B is not going to cover the Big Move real cost and this white elephant is going to be a drain on it, unless changes are made to it.

They are building this corridor with no plans to offer high speed service down the road, compare what we have today as max speed.

There is a real lack of vision at all levels, but most of all, at Metrolinx/GO Transit.

People are afraid to hear the real cost to do a true Big Move, considering the plan has leap frog the original area now.

After visiting 26 major cities in Europe, only 3 cities had express point to point airport rail services at premium price, while the remaining had bus, metro, regional rail, intercity and tram/rail service the airport also at regular transit fare. Those 3 cities with express service had the other type of service also.

London, Vienna, and ?

Amsterdam maybe?

I'm not sure how the funding works, but is some of the money going to ARL going to improve the commute on the Georgetown Line? Particularly, is the West Toronto Diamond separation part of ARL funding or a separate GO project entirely?

I have to say, I threw up in my mouth a little bit when I thought about how this project represents a bit over 10% of the money committed (a bit over 2% of the $50 billion) and despite the capital spent there are no plans for it to impact anyone's commute!

My #1 wish list is for GO to build out their network for 5 to 10 minute frequencies roughly matching TTC subway hours.

I've been told the capital cost is about $7B plus some unknown amount at Union Station; so $10B all-in (covers surprises and a few years operations too).

Georgetown makes me happy because it is a step toward that end but I certainly wish GO was a little more aggressive with providing all-day service including within Toronto borders.

Amsterdam maybe?

I'm not sure how the funding works, but is some of the money going to ARL going to improve the commute on the Georgetown Line? Particularly, is the West Toronto Diamond separation part of ARL funding or a separate GO project entirely?

My point is/was/will be.......a very significant part of the capital cost of the big move is in this corridor.....it was meant to build the ARL and improve the GO...but the capital is wasted if you don't increase the GO service to Lakeshore levels....there are no plans to do that.

London, Vienna, and ?

Stockholm and I posted the video of it some time of go for it. Milan has one to an airport as well to regular stops, but never check it out other than taking some photos of the train as I was short on time.

This morning I drove past the elevated spur on the 427 and was surprised to see how much headway they've made. A long stretch of the overhead structure is now up. The contractor is really ripping along at speeds we're not used to seeing in threads on this forum. Sort of funny to think the airport link could turn out to be both the most-delayed and also the fastest-built transit project in Toronto's history.

Couldn't snap any pictures, but might I hint at some of our usual suspects that another round of photos on this one could be really informative?

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5J 1C3

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 12 279235 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Nov 14, 2012

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: Proposal to enclose platform in lounge and support facilities for air rail link partly in leased space and partly in an addition to the south.

As drum118 stated Toronto, as ussual, is doing things ass backwards.

Almost every city on the planet that build express trains to their airports do so AFTER they provide Metro service. In other words they make sure that the average person and those thousands who work at the airport are provided mass/rapid transit first and after that they worry about the business class. The taxpayers are paying for this line but none of them will be able to afford to take it. This is made even worse by the fact that they won't even get a discount if they already have paid their transit fare to get to Union or Bloor. I won't include Weston which shouldn't even have a stop as who the hell is going to pay $25 bucks to get from Weston to Pearson when they could take a cab far cheaper than that? Also this is a line for only those that can use it as a tax write-off................what kind of business person or well healed traveller will get off at Weston for god's sake?

Not only is this line an affront to the taxpayers of Ontario but is going to actually cost the city of Toronto money. Anyone who is willing to part with atleast $25 per person to get downtown is not taking transit to begin with. All this line is doing is transferring people who would take a taxi to get there. Toronto gets tax revenue from cabs but transit is tax free. This line is simply going to cost cabbies a good chunk of their income and Toronto much needed tax revenue. This thing is going to bleed red ink.

Ontarians are paying through the nose for a smelly, polluting, business class route that does absolutely nothing for 99% of Torontonians, and will cost the city money on a line nobody wants.

As drum118 stated Toronto, as ussual, is doing things ass backwards.

Almost every city on the planet that build express trains to their airports do so AFTER they provide Metro service. In other words they make sure that the average person and those thousands who work at the airport are provided mass/rapid transit first and after that they worry about the business class. The taxpayers are paying for this line but none of them will be able to afford to take it. This is made even worse by the fact that they won't even get a discount if they already have paid their transit fare to get to Union or Bloor. I won't include Weston which shouldn't even have a stop as who the hell is going to pay $25 bucks to get from Weston to Pearson when they could take a cab far cheaper than that? Also this is a line for only those that can use it as a tax write-off................what kind of business person or well healed traveller will get off at Weston for god's sake?

Not only is this line an affront to the taxpayers of Ontario but is going to actually cost the city of Toronto money. Anyone who is willing to part with atleast $25 per person to get downtown is not taking transit to begin with. All this line is doing is transferring people who would take a taxi to get there. Toronto gets tax revenue from cabs but transit is tax free. This line is simply going to cost cabbies a good chunk of their income and Toronto much needed tax revenue. This thing is going to bleed red ink.

Ontarians are paying through the nose for a smelly, polluting, business class route that does absolutely nothing for 99% of Torontonians, and will cost the city money on a line nobody wants.

A cab ride to the airport costs a flat $50 fee no matter of the origin. So, it will cost that much regardless if you take taxi from Union or Weston Rd. Also, this line should be much faster than fighting the traffic on 427/QEW during most of the time. I can see that there would be enough people more than willing to use this line. There are enough people who live, work or visit downtown these days.

I agree with you that we should be building a "commuter" access to the airport first (through a combination of Eglinton LRT / Finch LRT and DRL extensions to provide access to uptown, midtown and downtown). However, we should not dismiss Airlink as a totally useless endeavour.

A cab ride to the airport costs a flat $50 fee no matter of the origin. So, it will cost that much regardless if you take taxi from Union or Weston Rd. Also, this line should be much faster than fighting the traffic on 427/QEW during most of the time. I can see that there would be enough people more than willing to use this line. There are enough people who live, work or visit downtown these days.

I agree with you that we should be building a "commuter" access to the airport first (through a combination of Eglinton LRT / Finch LRT and DRL extensions to provide access to uptown, midtown and downtown). However, we should not dismiss Airlink as a totally useless endeavour.

Pretty sure there is a difference in taxi fares between downtown and weston. Aren't taxi fares to and from Pearson pre-arranged and based on zones?

http://www.torontopearson.com/en/toandfrom/taxilimo/#

Back