Those are the on/offs at the GO platforms at those two stations, where a healthy portion of the ridership would be transferring from one to the other.

Respectfully I would dispute that assertion. I only have anecdotal evidence for such since I don't sit and watch everyone who gets off at Kipling of course. But on the occasions that I've used the Milton train(random days and trains) and gotten off at Kipling I usually follow the crowd and I haven't seen more than a couple people out of a crowd of dozens, transfer over to the subway. Anyhow this is obviously not really an important argument, but having the usage numbers for those GO stations and seeing that Kipling GO station has 3 to 4 times the ridership as Kennedy doesn't necessarily correlate to a proportional ratio of users transferring over to the subway at each station.

upxo9.jpg

Seems like the Pearson Station has moved super quickly. Glad to see the quick turn around and for the love of all things Urban PLEASE ADVERTISE YOUR SUCCESSES METROLINX!!!!!

You build credibility on transit by showing the transit you've built. Show the subway tunnels, show the LRT tunnels, show the UPX tracks and stations, show the BRT, show the new GO trains and station infrastructure, show the community consultations.

The media: TV, print, radio, internet, video love to show this stuff off and people like to see them show it off. It invokes a civic pride of a "can do" attitude.

Metrolinx could target small movie theaters to show adverts before a screening. being smaller in nature they may get better rates then going to Cineplex. TV ads are expensive, but media showoffs are free.

Seems like the Pearson Station has moved super quickly. Glad to see the quick turn around and for the love of all things Urban PLEASE ADVERTISE YOUR SUCCESSES METROLINX!!!!!

You build credibility on transit by showing the transit you've built. Show the subway tunnels, show the LRT tunnels, show the UPX tracks and stations, show the BRT, show the new GO trains and station infrastructure, show the community consultations.

The media: TV, print, radio, internet, video love to show this stuff off and people like to see them show it off. It invokes a civic pride of a "can do" attitude.

Metrolinx could target small movie theaters to show adverts before a screening. being smaller in nature they may get better rates then going to Cineplex. TV ads are expensive, but media showoffs are free.

There is the other side to it....I absolutely hate when governments (any gov't of any party/affiliation) spends money on the sort of advertisement you are talking about. Less advertising...more building. The best advertisement for transit is moving buses/trains.

The speed is thanks to elevation. It shows that if Toronto would build elevated rapid transit instead of underground, it would be must faster to construct. It would be comparible to building in the median. A bit of effort to build the elevated structure, but with less interference with traffic, it has benefits as well.

Im not saying they should have exorbitant advertising accounts. But when the media and politicians constant attack you, it diminishes you credibility. If people associate only bad things with your brand then no one will want the product your selling. Like I said there are many ways to do adverts on the cheap simply having your name and your plan out there really helps. Inviting the various media on tour every now and then, say monthly/bimonthly, to see the many many projects going on. Mississauga BRT in October, Eglinton Tunnels in November. Trip inside UPX stations December (maybe a walk along the spur section giving media a chance to show the view to the city from Pearson).

I agree the best way to show your work is to actually get transit moving, but while its being built people should still be able too see that it's being built. Not everyone comes to the UT Forums to check out the awesome construction pics. Most people in the region dont know that the Strachan Underpass or West Toronto diamond separation are being built and that they will help GO move people to and from the suburbs more quickly. Its cheap, its effective, it creates public awareness for how it will help them and breeds support for new transit in the region.

The speed is thanks to elevation. It shows that if Toronto would build elevated rapid transit instead of underground, it would be must faster to construct. It would be comparible to building in the median. A bit of effort to build the elevated structure, but with less interference with traffic, it has benefits as well.

It has more to do with station construction, but yes it is much faster on the surface. Actual tunnel boring only takes around half of the construction period. Tunnel boring is almost finished for Spadina now but it won;t be opening for another 3 years, that is what takes so long. Electrical, etc. Elevated can be built a bit faster though, you are right. but only by a year or so.

I've already seen quite a few commercials on TV from Metrolinx talking about the UPX, Highway 7 BRT, Mississauga Transitway, Eglinton, etc. They make me cringe because I don't think they should be spending money on advertising.

Im not saying they should have exorbitant advertising accounts. But when the media and politicians constant attack you, it diminishes you credibility. If people associate only bad things with your brand then no one will want the product your selling. Like I said there are many ways to do adverts on the cheap simply having your name and your plan out there really helps. Inviting the various media on tour every now and then, say monthly/bimonthly, to see the many many projects going on. Mississauga BRT in October, Eglinton Tunnels in November. Trip inside UPX stations December (maybe a walk along the spur section giving media a chance to show the view to the city from Pearson).

I think they do all of that now.

I agree the best way to show your work is to actually get transit moving, but while its being built people should still be able too see that it's being built. Not everyone comes to the UT Forums to check out the awesome construction pics. Most people in the region dont know that the Strachan Underpass or West Toronto diamond separation are being built and that they will help GO move people to and from the suburbs more quickly. Its cheap, its effective, it creates public awareness for how it will help them and breeds support for new transit in the region.

Sore point alert....they are probably keeping that a secret for a reason...really don't want to open up the question "so you spent $1.2B on that project and all we get out of it is 5 new return GO trips per day M-F and nothing on weekends....is that a good return?".....there is a downside to public attention/profile.

it's not just the 5 new trips. it is the ability to run hundreds of new trips along the corridor after more upgrades are done. Besides, the 5 trips thing is pulled from some 5 year old document that is probably as outdated as the all underground eglinton LRT. Nobody "planned" for 30 minute service on lakeshore, it just got announced one day. Once this project is done you can add dozens of trains, and it also sets the stage for more trains on other corridors.

also, I know they do frequent tours of Union Station. I actually saw some people being given the tour a couple of weeks ago.

it's not just the 5 new trips. it is the ability to run hundreds of new trips along the corridor after more upgrades are done. Besides, the 5 trips thing is pulled from some 5 year old document that is probably as outdated as the all underground eglinton LRT. Nobody "planned" for 30 minute service on lakeshore, it just got announced one day. Once this project is done you can add dozens of trains, and it also sets the stage for more trains on other corridors.

also, I know they do frequent tours of Union Station. I actually saw some people being given the tour a couple of weeks ago.

The 5 return trips is not plucked from a 5 year document...it is, at least in my case, plucked from fairly regular and frequent communcation I have....they have been consistant....there are no plans to do more than that and even the 5 trips has a "up to" caveat in front of it.

Back