If the client wants cheap they get cheap, if they want pretty they can call Pininfarina or somebody.

But then the FRA whacks them with windscreen regs and you get the Talgo cabs which look like a duck. I think NS with the DMU (and Siemens with the ACS64) have done well to skirt around the utilitarian parts of modern railroading.

Could someone explain the rendering of the UP terminal at Union? What exactly are they constructing? Is that a waiting area or boarding area? If so where do you board the train and how? Don't the tracks need to go into that area by the skywalk? Very confused at this... also confused of how it would be impacted with the construction of 20 York... thanks in advance for clarifying.

If the client wants cheap they get cheap, if they want pretty they can call Pininfarina or somebody.

Pininfarina sounds good, though their record designing trains isn't as good their cars. It would be good to beat Montreal to design excellence for once.

Could someone explain the rendering of the UP terminal at Union? What exactly are they constructing? Is that a waiting area or boarding area? If so where do you board the train and how? Don't the tracks need to go into that area by the skywalk? Very confused at this... also confused of how it would be impacted with the construction of 20 York... thanks in advance for clarifying.

That's a waiting and boarding area. There will be integrated doors alongside the track which will only be open while the train in there. Tracks on the south side only.

It looks like the new UP Express DMUs will start testing this summer... looking forward to it. :cool:

SOURCE: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...14/20140214_BoardMtg_UP_Express_Report_EN.pdf

Interesting:
Signed a Memorandum of Understanding with VIA Rail which provides a framework for ongoing partnership to ensure a seamless guest experience.
How close is New Panorama Lounge to the UPX waiting area? Or are we looking at something more like VIA staffing and managing a UPX lounge.

How close is New Panorama Lounge to the UPX waiting area? Or are we looking at something more like VIA staffing and managing a UPX lounge.

Good question. I wonder if VIA will set up some kind of arrangement with Metrolinx that a VIA1 ticket (or even any VIA ticket, but I'm not holding my breath for that) to or from Union gets you a free or reduced UPX fare.

I can't remember when I last rode the Milton Line during normal time, but had to do it twice this week from Union. Shot a number of videos from both sides, but only have the south side on line.

The first one is from Bathurst to King St showing the new work on the 2nd tunnel.

The other is of Bloor Station and that one big hole there now since I was last up there.

I also shot a few videos of the south side between station, but Kipling turn to be a washout with CP train sitting there both days and it shown no room to put more tracks in other than the 2 on the south side of the train now.

Bathurst-King
http://youtu.be/2BXaL0uSMdc

Dixie to Cooksville
http://youtu.be/5LD1z9uLBqc

Bloor
[video=youtube_share;5DizEFrtOIk]http://youtu.be/5DizEFrtOIk[/video]

Good question. I wonder if VIA will set up some kind of arrangement with Metrolinx that a VIA1 ticket (or even any VIA ticket, but I'm not holding my breath for that) to or from Union gets you a free or reduced UPX fare.
since you can book standard GO on Reservia I presume they will load tickets for that there too.

So will GO trains pass by that exact same track on the way into the platform in the shed?

So will GO trains pass by that exact same track on the way into the platform in the shed?

After construction is finished and the missing track is put back I think they'll (again) be physically capable of doing that, but it generally won't happen so as to avoid getting in the way of an UP train dwelling at its platform. Some time ago when the project was first being planned I recall reading they were expecting to turn over platform 3 (track 1) inside the train shed over exclusively to Richmond Hill trains, which enter and exit from the Bay Street end and thus allow the track to be cohabitated on quite efficiently. Perhaps one of our insiders knows if that's still the plan.

Is metrolinx planning to clean up the look of the tracks leading into Union Station? I hate that crappy looking patchy asphalt and gravel.

Back