Think the UPX can be up and running by March 27th? Im flying to Shanghai and would LOVE to have it up and running by then!

No. Based on comments here, and what I've heard elsewhere, they are aiming for April.

When are you coming back?

Should be back April 4th, so probably still not on time for me. Ah well! Guess I'll just have to settle for a maglev ride from Shanghai's airport to downtown and not a diesel train during the Toronto airport to downtown portion of my commute. haha

I really think that Metrolinx's decision to avoid announcing a launch date as of yet has been a brilliant move. Everyone knows it's coming, so avoiding committing to an exact date has managed expectations and prevented potential "scandals" of a late launch.

It's interesting to compare to a lot of projects in the US where they announce an opening date years in advance then end up having to revise the date a dozen times.

Should be back April 4th, so probably still not on time for me. Ah well! Guess I'll just have to settle for a maglev ride from Shanghai's airport to downtown and not a diesel train during the Toronto airport to downtown portion of my commute. haha
I'm in a similar boat. I'm flying to Japan on the 3rd, returning on the 19th. I peg my odds of being able to use the UPX at 5% and 20% for each leg respectively. Of course, I'm coming from Kitchener, so I really would be back-tracking to use it just for the sake of using it.

I really think that Metrolinx's decision to avoid announcing a launch date as of yet has been a brilliant move. Everyone knows it's coming, so avoiding committing to an exact date has managed expectations and prevented potential "scandals" of a late launch.

Anything before about July 6th (a few days before Pan Am games, their only real deadline) is bonus time.

With software, I've found customers are far happier with a product when they don't realize how delayed it is. If you don't give a release date and instead provide progress reports they tend to be happier with the value for their dollar. Committing to an undoable deadline kills confidence far more than not committing to anything.

Definitely agree RE: managing expectations by not announcing an opening date. You don't even need to look to the US for examples of projects missing timelines. We have more than enough examples here.

It's interesting to compare to a lot of projects in the US where they announce an opening date years in advance then end up having to revise the date a dozen times.
It's a good idea ... but they've always said Spring 2015 (at least for the last few years). TTC did similar with the Spadina subway extension, saying fall 2015, and then late 2016, but this hasn't served them as well.

The bottom line is that UPX delivery is generally on-time. This is the advantage of having something like Pan-Am - as everyone sees it as an immovable deadline and everyone works to find ways to make things happen.

Shame it can't happen on all projects, rather than a select few.

Those who use Bloor Station should be using the new platform for 12 cars come Monday if things stay on course.

This will include the UPX platform. All the stations on the Kitchener-Georgetown line are now all 12 car platforms.

Those who use Bloor Station should be using the new platform for 12 cars come Monday if things stay on course.

This will include the UPX platform. All the stations on the Kitchener-Georgetown line are now all 12 car platforms.

If I read the construction notice correctly, the south platform at Bramalea is just now getting extended for 12 cars...not a big issue as this just means all trains have shifted to the north platform for a couple of years....so every station, as you say has 12 car platforms now.

Back