Metrolinx should have went with green walls.

It wont solve the problem, rather it may actually make things more costly. Maintenance will still be required to curb overgrowth, weeds and eventually after a few years the metal fences shown in the rendering may start to rust.
Then the usual round of public complaints and a feature article in the Fixer column in the GTA section of the Tor Star

The main problem with those green walls was they wouldn't have provided the necessary noise and vibration attenuation to meet MOE guidelines.

Unless a scandal occurs, like a flagship paralympics athlete who is late because of an elevator breakdown, and one country whines about it a national issue, and the international news picks up on it, and so on...
Even if athletes were using transit, which as was pointed out they aren't, that scandal barely leaves the GTHA news wise.

Feb 28
The Metrolinx BOD are to get a tour of Union Station in April.

There are to be other tours in April and May for Union Station as well.

UPX 1006 & 1007
16709239201_19389b5677_b.jpg

16710526575_95c3c1a69a_b.jpg

16090586233_ff4cd52d51_b.jpg

Once again thanks for sharing the great photos!
Does anyone know when they are going to test the full 3 car setup?

Feb 28
The Metrolinx BOD are to get a tour of Union Station in April.

There are to be other tours in April and May for Union Station as well.
Sounds like pretty good indicator that opening day will not be happening in April. I don't see them giving a tour in May, through an operational station.

The UT front page has an article about a readiness update for UPX.

Here's the actual report:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...20150303_BoardMtg_UP_Express_Readiness_EN.pdf
as seen from the agenda page:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/agendas/agendas_2015_03_03.aspx

[edit] More juiciness here
At Union Station, track certificates for the two tracks adjacent to the platform have been received and the tracks are now operational. The first track is the primary access for the train to pull up to the Union Station platform, while the second track is a secondary access to allow the next train to move as close as possible for staging and quick access to the platform after the full train departs for Toronto Pearson.

[...]

The development of the customer website to provide service and travel information and support UP Express ticket purchases has been completed. The site will be launched 30 days prior to launch.

Last edited:
Why do you keep posting in different threads links to old documents? These were all linked and discussed 2 pages ago, late last month!
A single post that discusses UPX six days ago that was then buried under RER speculation and a huge photo update. Little wonder that I missed it the first time. I'm happy to to provide further reading and discussion of the details in the documents a few days late, even if no one else chose to do so earlier.

Nice to see that the spur was built with electrification in mind. You can already see the supports and bolts in that video for the poles that will hold up the wires.

So there's a GO train with two MP40s going back and forth on the Weston sub right now. I can see it from my apartment. It starts near Weston Road, at the west end of the tunnel, and then takes off west towards the 401, and then comes back. Maybe breaking in the new track?

Reportedly they were testing the new T4 (southmost track) today, with particular attention to the clearances through the 401 tunnel.

No sign of life on T3 yet.

(I'm using the "eventual" numbering - T1 being the northmost track that doesn't exist yet, and needs the new tunnel under the 401)

- Paul

In any case, the C cars are supposed to have a small cab at each end.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Well before we continue to dilly dally on the ethics of single car ops, can we confirm that there is actually only a cab on 1 side? all weve seen is 1 photo of 1 end and judging from the the fact that there are lights and even what seems to be a led destination sign over the gangway. Not to mention that they even stuck the UP logo to the sliding door. So unless metrolinx intentionally wasted money or tried to squeeze out all the dollars budgeted, it may seem to be a fair assessment that they may have intentions of running this car as at the very least a lead car.

Oh there's definitely a cab on both ends of the C-car. Multiple press releases have stated that the "C-cars can still be operated individually". Of course technically you can move a piece of equipment individually if there is only one cab. But I think its fairly safe to assume they are referring to running the unit in revenue service. It would make no sense to design a piece of equipment intended to be operated as a single unit in revenue service with a cab on only one end. The engineer is not going to be sitting in the tail end operating the train backwards half the time with the conductor on the head end calling out signals and giving cars counts to stops. In addition if there was no cab on the conductors end that means there's no cab controls to operate the headlight, bell, whistle and the emergency brakes there(those controls are what makes a cab afterall). If the person on the leading end of the unit does not have access to those controls than the train would be restricted to a maximum speed of 25mph while reversing. And the promise was to make it to the airport in twenty-five minutes afterall, not a hundred and twenty-five minutes.

Bringing back this debate for a second because I've stumbled across something of note.

This photo someone snapped of a C-car being delivered makes it appear like there is a cab only at one end:
10995023_1602588499970691_1071891253_n.jpg

Note the near end of the car has a blank end wall and a regular-sized side window right next to the end that would seem to correspond to passenger seating; the far end of the car has a small side window that would correspond to an operator cab.

So I don't know where the "late evening one-car operations" rumours came from (and I should note that Paul has certainly been very accurate in the past when it's come to getting insider information) but it doesn't seem to to square with single-ended rolling stock.

vegeta, what news releases were you referring to?

Attachments

• 10995023_1602588499970691_1071891253_n.jpg
    10995023_1602588499970691_1071891253_n.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,144

Back