For domestic travel (which makes up about 90% of my travel).....the ramp from the parking/train area ends at a level in between departures and arrivals.

If you use one of the kiosks to check in for your flight....there is a bank of them on that "mini" level.....then you can walk around the stairs and proceed through security.

If you have bags to check in, you have to go upstairs.

The photos from Monday are on line
17434703310_faa589e300_b.jpg

17434463228_815b9f18d7_b.jpg

17596042496_6a21c54b8f_b.jpg

17596055956_c3045198da_b.jpg

I've been seeing and listening to it running up and down the GTS corridor. Actually saw a meet between two consists at Weston Road last night. People have describes it sounding like a heavy pick-up truck, it's a surprisingly accurate description. Much quieter than any MP40, for sure.

edit: I partially retract my statement. Walked over the corridor at Church Street, it's pretty loud up the Weston tunnel incline. Still not as loud as an MP40 but louder than a pick-up at that point. I must be hearing it as they let off the throttle at the top of the tunnel.

Last edited:
Nice! Just visiting the lounge probably will tempt a few to ride UPX at a future date.

Commuter tip: UPX's lounge is open to everybody, not just UPX ticket holders.
Buy your premium coffees and beers, and relax in a nicer lounge, while waiting for your GOtrain!

Last edited:
For those who noted that signs only indicated "airport" or UPx rather than specifying Pearson, note that one of photos posted by Femwriter shows the platform with a sign above the doors which say "Trains to Pearson Airport". So travellers will have an indication of which airport this train goes to.

For those who noted that signs only indicated "airport" or UPx rather than specifying Pearson, note that one of photos posted by Femwriter shows the platform with a sign above the doors which say "Trains to Pearson Airport". So travellers will have an indication of which airport this train goes to.
One thing to remember is that you are in the UPX station west of York Street. The previous comments about the lack of the use of the words "train", Pearson", or Airport" on the signage, was in Union Station itself, east of York Street.

It might just be the angle, but to me those UP platforms look pretty short. Are they long enough to handle the 2 car UP trains?
Probably just the angle. Here's one I caught of a 3-car train at Union this week:
UPX at Union.jpg

Attachments

• UPX at Union.jpg
    UPX at Union.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 642
Last edited:
One you are in the UPX station west of York Street. The previous comments about the lack of the use of the words "train", Pearson", or Airport" on the signage, was in Union Station itself, east of York Street.
Probably just the angle. Here's one I caught of a 3-car train at Union this week:
View attachment 46371

Maybe it's my old age eyesight but that looks like a 2-car train set

Maybe it's my old age eyesight but that looks like a 2-car train set
I think the issue is my eyesight!! LOL! I could have sworn it was 3 when I was standing on the platform! Certainly clearer now that it's 2 on big on the screen, as opposed to my phone! #fail

I guess that only reinforces the question of whether the platforms are too short. Though it would be hard to imagine that had ever happened - especially at Union!

It might just be the angle, but to me those UP platforms look pretty short. Are they long enough to handle the 3 car UP trains?

Drum often uses a long telephoto lens for his shots. This can cause significant distance-crushing for far-away objects. For example, in that second pic, it looks like the streetcar crossing the Dundas/Sterling bridge is almost right behind this train at Bloor St. It's a cool effect, but sometimes deceiving. There was a thread about the West Toronto Diamond underpass recently too, where the telephoto pics made the grade separation look like a steep pit.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=telephoto+perspective+compression

Back