My wife and I just had the opportunity to use the UP Express this weekend and didn't.

We live at Gerrard and River.

On the way to Pearson we took Uber to Castlefrank. And the TTC the rest of the way. Total cost $9.50 for cab + $6 for two cash fares for TTC = $15.50 total for us.

On the way back from Pearson we were lazy and took an airport limo. $60 flat fate + $5 tip = $65 total for us.

If we had taken the UP Express it would have been $27 each + $20 for cab from Union station for a grand total of $74.

It just doesn't make any sense for the overwhelming majority of Torontonians. I won't even consider it until the price falls below $20.

What would Uber have cost you from Union station home? Why would you Uber to Castle frank but not home???

***EDIT***
Nevermind Uber's fare estimator says that the ride would have cost $8, way to obfuscate the comparison. So by simply owning a presto card and choosing uber (which you have already indicated you were open to) that $74 trip becomes $46

Last edited:
My flight to Atlanta is mid-week at 8:45am, meaning I would normally drive my own car or taxi from my house at around 6:45am.
Is that enough time for US customs? I haven't done it recently, but I've taken 2 hours to clear US customs before at Pearson. On one flight at the old Terminal 2, I was at the airport 3 hours before boarding, and I still almost missed my flight!

Perhaps this is no longer a problem?

Is that enough time for US customs? I haven't done it recently, but I've taken 2 hours to clear US customs before at Pearson. On one flight at the old Terminal 2, I was at the airport 3 hours before boarding, and I still almost missed my flight!

Perhaps this is no longer a problem?
it has gotten a lot better...still subject to peaks and valleys...but better. My last trip to the states took about 6 minutes to clear customs...but, like you, have had some panicky moments in line wondering if the hours I left myself were enough.

Not sure including the one-time cost of purchasing a Presto card is fair. Might as well add in the cost to buy the Smartphone to use Uber!
Absolutely including the cost of the Presto card was fair for my parents. They're visitors that come once every couple years. It wouldn't have worked for any other journey during their time in Toronto that we took, so why would one not include the cost of Presto. And seriously, discussing the cost of a smartphone is just specious in this context.
Reportedly, Uber is under pressure to add the functionality to add a tip to payment within their app. I don't know whether many riders tender a cash tip at the moment.
As of now, Uber has no tipping process. That's part of its appeal is that for UberX or the fancier modes is that everything is included in the fare and no cash exchanges hands. For UberTaxi (where that exists), tip is added as a flat 20%.
It is below $20. It's 19. If you live in the city, you should have a Presto card, as you'll need it sooner or later.
One will need a Presto card later rather than sooner. If you live at Gerrard and Riverdale, or where I live in Toronto, or where many of my friends live in Toronto, Presto is not yet useful as neither the streetcars nor closest subway stations take it. Anyone who has a monthly pass can't use Presto on the TTC until after all the buses are equipped which is slated for end of 2016. Definitely no rush.
it has gotten a lot better...still subject to peaks and valleys...but better. My last trip to the states took about 6 minutes to clear customs...but, like you, have had some panicky moments in line wondering if the hours I left myself were enough.
One word: Nexus. That has made customs predictable. My friends traveling without it have had wait times all over the map. In general, you're unlikely to miss your flight as they seem to be rather good at "just-in-time" expediting of passengers.

I agree about the pricing and I live and Yonge and Eglinton. I took it back home after a trip to Vancouver and the costs for 2 people in a cab would have been the same and that includes door to door service. It's really designed for the business traveller who's leaving between 6-8 AM and returning 5-7 PM It saves them the commute trouble and time of the highway travel. Here Time =money. It's not the same for vacationners

I agree about the pricing and I live and Yonge and Eglinton. I took it back home after a trip to Vancouver and the costs for 2 people in a cab would have been the same and that includes door to door service. It's really designed for the business traveller who's leaving between 6-8 AM and returning 5-7 PM It saves them the commute trouble and time of the highway travel. Here Time =money. It's not the same for vacationners
cab from airport to Yonge and Eg is $38? The, very, rare time I have taken a cab to Brampton from Pearson it has been much higher than that.

Edit: oops, I guesss I have to assume if going to Yonge and Eg it is Pearson to Dundas W then subway ....so is a cab to Yonge and Eg less $36?

Absolutely including the cost of the Presto card was fair for my parents. They're visitors that come once every couple years.
Fair enough ... though I've certainly picked up/dropped off people at the airport, and taken extra tokens with me. I keep one extra adult Presto card around for such occasions.

The debate about Presto cost is typically for Torontonians, not those from out-of-town.

One will need a Presto card later rather than sooner. If you live at Gerrard and Riverdale, or where I live in Toronto, or where many of my friends live in Toronto, Presto is not yet useful as neither the streetcars nor closest subway stations take it.
I live near the 506, but I find it immensely useful when travelling in Halton, Peel, and York regions. And for using GO Trains inside Toronto. Not having to worry about buying tickets, or those old 10-ride tickets, for GO Trains is a huge benefit.

Will be nice when it's in all the subways though. I made the mistake of trying to enter the Glen Road entrance of Sherbourne station yesterday with an 8-year old, and I remembered why I normally walk the extra 100 metres from Milkmans Lane to Castle Frank rather than Sherbourne. Though now that kids are free on TTC, at least I can legally carry them in, rather than having to walk all the way to the main entrance to use a child's ticket. (I've been using the child's Presto card for my daughter to tap in at Presto-enabled TTC stations for free, and avoid standing in the line, or opening the gates). On the bright side, I noticed a sign in Sherbourne station about them working on Presto installation.

tipping, Nexus. Good thoughts ...

cab from airport to Yonge and Eg is $38? The, very, rare time I have taken a cab to Brampton from Pearson it has been much higher than that.
Perhaps depends where. Only 19 km from pearson to Yonge and Eglinton. That's the same distance as to Hurontario and Boivard.

I never understood why instead of a dedicated train they didn't simply extend the regular subway by 10 km from Kipling to the airport. This would have served all the airport employees and budget conscious flyers.

Edit: oops, I guesss I have to assume if going to Yonge and Eg it is Pearson to Dundas W then subway ....so is a cab to Yonge and Eg less $36?

Uber

Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 499
Entire UP express was $600 million. It's an express service that takes 25 minutes direct to downtown.

Subway is $300 million a km to build. No direct to downtown, need to transfer at bloor with your luggage.

Would take about 50 minutes in total.

I never understood why instead of a dedicated train they didn't simply extend the regular subway by 10 km from Kipling to the airport. This would have served all the airport employees and budget conscious flyers.

And would have cost how much? Could it have been done for the same $450 million? 2X that? 3X that? Would it have appealed to people trying to get downtown quickly? Travel time via subway via a transfer at either St. George or Y/B would have been what? Same 25 minutes? 2X that? 3X that?

Since when does Uber not count as a cab?
like I said it could just be language....people I talk to pretty much make the distinction between Uber and Taxis by using the word "Uber" to describe rides taken with Uber and "cab" or "taxi" when they use one of the traditional taxi companies.

that said, only the original poster would know if we are talking about a taxi fare or an uber fare being the same as a $36 for two people trip from Pearson to Yonge/Eg.

Thanks for the list of Uber fares.....I have never used Uber but your list leads me to a few questions....1) what are all those options and why the price difference? 2) It looks like you (likely for expediency) priced a trip from Yonge/Eg to Pearson...would the fare(s) be the same in the reverse direction? (lots of locations in the region it is cheaper to get a taxi to the airport than it is from the airport..is it the same on Uber? 3) I have heard that Uber prices are variable based on demand.......is that a factor in determining how to leave the airport?

Back