That it would.
But as always, there's more factors involved when booking flights. Is getting on a train at 7am something this person is willing to do? Remember that the main competition for getting to the airport from Kitchener are taxis and shuttles. GO vs. VIA is a minor difference, comparitively.
geez....someone posted a simple comment about a friend/associate tailoring their flight choices around a VIA/UP schedule (even commenting that it was more efficient than taxis and shuttles) and I pointed out that GO/UP would be even quicker and cheaper......that's all that happened here...seriously.

The fact that they already tailor their schedule around the limited VIA trains gave me a hint that they might have enough flexibility to tailor around the two present GO trains also....never dawned on me to ask what time they get up in the morning ;)

Let's leave it there.

I didn't mean to browbeat or anything! I don't think I disagree with anything you've said.

Just highlighting how that interacts with some of the on-the-ground realities we have in Kitchener.

I didn't mean to browbeat or anything! I don't think I disagree with anything you've said.

Just highlighting how that interacts with some of the on-the-ground realities we have in Kitchener.
it does bring to mind something that happened a few weeks ago....someone in government in the KW area (could have been a mayor, I think) tweeted out how for (I think) the third time he was headed to a meeting in DT Toronto by driving to Pearson, paying for parking there and taking the UP express to the city. Seemed pretty proud of it...I tweeted back that (words to this effect) it would be a far more efficient use of taxpayer money if he drove to Bramalea and parked for free and used GO to get to and from the city....he seemed to stop tweeting (or blocked me ) right after that.

the person we are discussing here is using his/her own money and I was just suggesting a shorter/cheaper option but they are free to keep using VIA to Union and UP to Pearson if they choose....I get a bit peeved when people use taxpayer money (even if I don't happen to be one of those particular taxpayers) willy nilly when there are cheaper options that do the same thing.

I'm told that one of the features of the new CTC is an interlock that will only allow UPX trains to be routed onto the Pearson Sub, based on some sort of electronic identification of the approaching train. If the RTC were to inadvertently line a GO train or a freight onto this route, the signals would not clear.

That system is an interesting feature and self contained system that actually does work properly. The controller is located just west of Humberview. The signal at Wice won't clear/give a permissive indication onto the Pearson sub until an UP train has passed over it.

That system is an interesting feature and self contained system that actually does work properly. The controller is located just west of Humberview. The signal at Wice won't clear/give a permissive indication onto the Pearson sub until an UP train has passed over it.

There are readers at the intermediates at Etobicoke North Station and at Martin Grove, and on all tracks. Both need to be cleared before the signals at Wice will unlock and clear the routing. And of course, there is a method to allow the RTC to overrule the system, although so far, I haven't heard of the system failing/not registering a train once.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Re: Kitchener to Pearson
I suspect that someone using VIA is doing so because it fits better into their schedule, despite being a longer, more expensive trip.
From Kitchener, there are only 4 trains to Toronto on an average weekday.
If your flight is after 11am, GO is of no use to you.

While there are only 2 GO trains per direction, there are also many GO buses between Kitchener and the GTA.

Route 30 operates non-stop from Kitchener GO to Bramalea GO, where you can then catch Brampton Transit route 115 Airport Express (formerly GO route 34) to the airport. Route 30 operates once daily in the eastbound direction and three times in the westbound direction.

Route 25 operates hourly all day from the University of Waterloo via downtown Kitchener to Square One, where you can then catch GO route 40 Airport Express, MiWay route 107 Malton Express, or MiWay route 7 Malton to the airport.

Here's how the actual Kitchener-Pearson GO schedule looks:
Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 23.31.23.png

If this person is able to depart from Waterloo instead of Kitchener, then there's an even greater array of buses available, with many express buses covering the Waterloo-Square One and Waterloo-Bramalea routes from Thursday to Sunday.

Basically, taking VIA and UP from Kitchener to Pearson makes no sense.

Departures:

VIA: 2 per direction
GO: 21+ per direction

Cost:

VIA: $48.38 ($29.38 VIA + $19.00 UP)
GO: ranges from $13.17 (via Brampton Transit from Bramalea) to $13.85 (via GO from Square One) on Presto

Travel Time:
VIA: about 2h10 in theory, however VIA is usually late.
GO: ranges from 1h50 to 2h20.

tl;dr:
GO is ten times more frequent, a quarter the price and just as fast as VIA.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 23.31.23.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 23.31.23.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,070
Last edited:
Route 30 operates non-stop from Kitchener GO to Bramalea GO, where you can then catch Brampton Transit route 115 Airport Express (formerly GO route 34) to the airport. Route 30 operates once daily in the eastbound direction and three times in the westbound direction.

Route 25 operates hourly all day from the University of Waterloo via downtown Kitchener to Square One, where you can then catch GO route 40 Airport Express, MiWay route 107 Malton Express, or MiWay route 7 Malton to the airport.

If this person is able to depart from Waterloo instead of Kitchener, then there's an even greater array of buses available, with many express buses covering the Waterloo-Square One and Waterloo-Bramalea routes from Thursday to Sunday.
Thanks for the rundown of the options. I've taken the GO bus to get from KW to the airport, but both times, I've switched to a Taxi at Square One, because MiWay 7 is slow, and 107 doesn't run on holidays.

The decision tree for taking the GO bus is intimidating, and understandably so. Honestly, I'm not surprised that someone would take the VIA to Union and UPX back, as it's relatively easy to understand, and one can be sure it will show up.

While there are only 2 GO trains per direction, there are also many GO buses between Kitchener and the GTA.

Rather than connecting at Bramalea, the logical stop for Kitchener trains (VIA and GO) is to MT route 7 from Malton - except the bus doesn't serve the station directly so you have to walk 400 meters to catch it.

As it is, triplinx shows GO-MT trips of 1h55 mins (if you kick UP off the list under options it's easier to see) and Google Maps (Triplinx doesn't show VIA) shows a 1h41m trip on the 9.10am VIA connecting to the 10.41 MT.

Rather than connecting at Bramalea, the logical stop for Kitchener trains (VIA and GO) is to MT route 7 from Malton - except the bus doesn't serve the station directly so you have to walk 400 meters to catch it.

As it is, triplinx shows GO-MT trips of 1h55 mins (if you kick UP off the list under options it's easier to see) and Google Maps (Triplinx doesn't show VIA) shows a 1h41m trip on the 9.10am VIA connecting to the 10.41 MT.
I still think the most efficient (current) route is GO to Weston then UP to Pearson....but that's just me. ;)

I still think the most efficient (current) route is GO to Weston then UP to Pearson....but that's just me. ;)
Yes, but efficient by what measure? Price, clearly not. How far you have to walk? Sure, maybe. But if you're stuck for time and need to get to the airport pronto, I can't imagine watching the airport pass you far behind, possibly with a stop at Etobicoke North, change trains and then head back after an average 7.5 minute wait will seem so then.

Yes, but efficient by what measure? Price, clearly not. How far you have to walk? Sure, maybe. But if you're stuck for time and need to get to the airport pronto, I can't imagine watching the airport pass you far behind, possibly with a stop at Etobicoke North, change trains and then head back after an average 7.5 minute wait will seem so then.
Mostly I was thinking of time .....1 hour and 35 minutes to Weston....factor in the 7.5 avg wait time....you are on your way from Weston to Pearson in 1 hour 42.5 minutes....how long is the trip from Weston to the terminal if it is half of the total 25 minute trip time for UP then you are at 1 hour 55 minutes....I suspect it is less than half though.

Back