However, just north of Crossways, is land (owned by the government) that hopefully will be used as a connection of some sort.

Which means the tenant stores in Crossways will not have access to potential customers if they do so.

The walkway is now open, but I thought the same, that it was owned by Metrolinx now. Evidently not so from speaking to neigbours a block from there. An application has been made to erect...wait for it...condos on the site. That's hearsay, but fliers were sent out on that for public meetings.

On the mall walk-through traffic in the Crossways if there is a pedestrian connection through the basement: Two things: If there is, no access to the Crossways above is planned, there's security issues there. Secondly: Even tenants in the building are barred from the mall after ll PM. The doors lock automatically.

As others have alluded to, there's ways to do access w/o Crossways being directly party to it. Pedestrian tunnels can be bored adjacent to the subway running tunnels to the GO underground walkway. The running tunnels are one floor below the lowest basement floor in the underground parking of the Crossways at that spot. Ostensibly that is sufficient headroom to burrow east until the property line and then steps come up a flight to the GO pedestrian tunnel, and a fare barrier.

Was it a GO ticket and checked on-board and accepted? I'd feel a lot better if this info was available on-line or in print. Here's my big concern:

ANIMALS

Each guest may take with him or her, free of charge and subject to the
conditions below, a max
imum of two dogs, cats or other small animals
provided that they do not endanger or inconvenience guests or staff.

Dogs must be kept on a
leash
at all times unless in a basket or pet carrier.
Dogs without
leashes
, cats, birds and small animals must be car
ried in an
enclosed basket, cage or pet carrier. This must be rigid and not open (to
prevent escape) and the animal must be able to stand and lie down in
comfort

https://www.upexpress.com/AboutUP/TermsAndConditionsV1

Tariff Feb 2016 - GO Transit
www.gotransit.com/public/en/docs/Tariff_EN.pdf
1.4 - A single ticket will be accepted on GO Transit services for transportation for one ..... travelling with the aid of a seeing-eye, hearing-ear or special skills dog.

If you do buy a GO ticket, do GO's terms and conditions apply, or UPX'? The reason I ask, is because GO don't allow animals except in a crate. Or do specific regs apply to each, even if they are *honouring* the others' tickets? There's going to be a number of irregularities until this is made clear in the terms and tariffs of the fare.
Yes, I tapped on the GO reader as per staff suggestion. When they checked my card on board UP it showed a red notification, but it showed that I had tapped on at Weston. This is probably something in the back end that needs to be updated. In any case, it still showed I had a valid fare and was accepted by the staff.

I think it would be a good idea to email Metrolinx your concern and suggest that they harmonize their animal policy between the two services.

Yes, I tapped on the GO reader as per staff suggestion. When they checked my card on board UP it showed a red notification, but it showed that I had tapped on at Weston. This is probably something in the back end that needs to be updated. In any case, it still showed I had a valid fare and was accepted by the staff.

I think it would be a good idea to email Metrolinx your concern and suggest that they harmonize their animal policy between the two services.
Excellent reply, that gives me an idea of what to expect. So they are still 'honouring' the tickets, but for those using GO, it appears to work completely in their favour.
[I think it would be a good idea to email Metrolinx your concern and suggest that they harmonize their animal policy between the two services.]
LOL! Anything but! They'll put me on a leash, and ban the dog. I'm a bit of a cynic, mostly down to bitter experience in life, but I know what will happen: "Sorry sir, by purchasing a GO ticket, you agree to abide by the terms of the tariff for that ticket, and that's why we've called for the Pound to take your dog, and why that uniformed officer over there is about to taser you if you don't come with us".

On a related note, the TTC is till the only municipal jurisdiction that I'm aware of in Ontario that allows dogs on the system...and UPX, albeit it's provincial. For all the shortcomings, the TTC is still exemplary in some regards.

Think about it: Why do all the others ban dogs? Any dog that's a danger to the peace or the public can be refused by provincial and criminal law anyway, so what could possibly be the reasoning? (rush hour excluded, for obvious reasons).

but I know what will happen: "Sorry sir, by purchasing a GO ticket, you agree to abide by the terms of the tariff for that ticket, and that's why we've called for the Pound to take your dog, and why that uniformed officer over there is about to taser you if you don't come with us".
Harmonizing the animal policy is probably a good idea...
At least they are trying to harmonize other things -- bikes were formerly not allowed but are now.
They have apparently removed the part about bikes not being allowed on UPX from the bottom of:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/upexpress/youchoose/go.aspx

I think it is linked to vehicle and not the fare.
You can pay a GO fare and still be allowed to take UPX's policy.
There is now a GO presto machine installed at UPX Union... You can even tap on that reader, walk back to Union, and catch the GO train instead, and the fare inspector is happy. Or just walk ten meters and hop onto UPX.

Now, if you had a pet, the treatment is different but vehicle-specific and has nothing to do which machine you tapped on as both machines are installed at Union UPX terminal.

Last edited:
On a related note, the TTC is till the only municipal jurisdiction that I'm aware of in Ontario that allows dogs on the system...and UPX, albeit it's provincial. For all the shortcomings, the TTC is still exemplary in some regards.

Think about it: Why do all the others ban dogs? Any dog that's a danger to the peace or the public can be refused by provincial and criminal law anyway, so what could possibly be the reasoning? (rush hour excluded, for obvious reasons).

UPX may have different rules about dogs being brought on due to it be transport to the airport. People sometimes will travel with their pets. Alos guide dogs are allowed on all public transit at all times of the day.

UPX may have different rules about dogs being brought on due to it be transport to the airport. People sometimes will travel with their pets. Alos guide dogs are allowed on all public transit at all times of the day.

What about other guide animals?

MD writes:
[Harmonizing the animal policy is probably a good idea...]

Well, by "Harmonize", if you mean bring GO to match UPX, great. But that's not going to happen. Let me give you an example of *contrary to all common-sense" how some personnel will dictate rules that don't exist.

I'm a distance cyclist, in amazing shape for my age (a chronic cancer survivor) and I ride a superlative classic 531 frame, rebuilt by Argos Racing in the UK. Trust me, it's an invaluable machine almost fifty years old, but still unbeatable in ride comfort today. One of my favourite joys in life is to take GO to a destination, do a hundred kilos or so (did up to 150 kms in 6.5 hrs last year), get back on the GO in another location, and come back to my starting point. Now I'm back in Toronto, there's some incredible rail-trails to the east. Have to do Uxbridge to Peterborough, GO to Uxbrige, GO from Peterborough back.
http://spacing.ca/toronto/2014/08/03/revisiting-uxbridge-peterborough-rail-trails/

I spent time in Southern California where the local transit agency requires you to use a velcro strap attached to the bike rack to secure the rear-wheel. Absolutely sensible and brilliant, especially with quick-release wheels where if some bozo loading on his junker hits the front wheel QR lever, your bike is going to come flying off, since that front wheel is all that's holding it on! There are at least two cases of this happening in the SO-CAL jurisdiction of which I speak. (Some drivers tell me it's happened to GO, but been hushed up)(one on the 401!) Plus no rider who values his/her machine would 'plonk it' on a GO bike rack (pioneered in New Mexico, btw, years before they had them here) without the peace of mind of knowing it's adequately secured. They lose it, you get nothing.

And then I started running into drivers giving me a hard time, actually getting verbally abusive and refusing to let me load my bike, all because I wanted to add three inches of double sided velcro strip to the rear wheel rim and wrapped around the rack. Long story short, I started having run-ins with supervisors, to the point that cops were called in Guelph, hands on their guns. ("The driver was scared of you"). One supervisor at Square One radioed all the drivers to tell them not to let me on the bus. I was stranded that night because of it ...Meantime, I had searched the Highway Traffic Act, and the associated "Securing a Load" provisions....and found that GO were not only in non-compliance with the Act, the supervisors counseling them to break it were committing a criminal offence, not covered under the GO Act, btw. Certain responsibilities "acting for the good of the corporation" release drivers from prosecution. Counselling a criminal act isn't, and shouldn't be. It got really nasty. Btw: The super at Square one? Asked about his reasoning: "We'd rather it go flying off on the highway than get dragged under the bus cutting brake lines." (He hasn't a clue as to how Alexander-Dennis route their hydraulics, but I digress)

National Post started asking questions (did I contact them and others? Damn right...sent them the damning evidence too) and I took my info indirectly to Del Duca through another cabinet minister who shall remain unnamed in this forum.

Two days later, I get a phone call, a *very* apologetic GM of the bus division, even after GO PR Dep't had also threatened me (I have all the emls saved) GM stating: "It was all a huge misunderstanding". He was on his day off, btw, and he was genuinely sincere and I also received a good chunk of free travel for my inconvenience. I'm told all of the supers were "severely counselled". Head of PR sent me a letter, which I carry to this day when taking my bike on the GO, instructing any staff giving me a hard time to contact her, or anyone in the top executive for a discourse on *policy*. (The supervisor at Square One actually stated: "I don't care what management says, we make the rules"). There's more, but I leave it at that, save to say many drivers who know me say" You know what, you were absolutely right on that,. Who could possibly think that fully securing your bike for the 30 seconds it takes isn't a good thing?". I still smirk at those who were looking for fisticuffs. (Three of them surrounded me at Aberfoyle when one of the drivers called them all and a supervisor to meet me when the bus pulled in there). I have their names. And it would have taken all three, but I'll leave it at that....I certainly wasn't about to cow to them.

So the lesson is this: Given the chance, X number of persons wearing uniforms and with some sort of power over you, will act like Nazis. So when I take the dog on UPX, I will have the printed regs, I will have my cell-phone, and I'll be braced for someone to try and trip me up on it. Because sure as hell, some of them look for it. That being said. most drivers who last in the system are great, I've befriended quite a few.

If tomorrow didn't look so poor weather-wise, I'd do it then, but I will try as soon as it warms up enough. The dog, who belongs to one of the partners at work, is an absolute delight, btw. All it takes is one person on the vehicle to object though, and all the regs in the world go out the window. This has happened on the Jane bus, where people from the islands go hysterical over big black dogs. It can be the best behaved dog in the world...guess who the drivers side with? I got kicked off the bus. Now who's Black?

Last edited:
They have apparently removed the part about bikes not being allowed on UPX from the bottom of:
http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/upexpress/youchoose/go.aspx

I think it is linked to vehicle and not the fare.

That's interesting! (Btw: That's the most definitive FAQ yet) That means, by exclusion from not being denied, you can take your bike on the UPX even during rush-hour, something disallowed on GO trains (albeit that remains a grey area, some regs stating (gist) "allowed heading away from rush-hour direction, Union Station banned at all times during rush-hour")

That's interesting! (Btw: That's the most definitive FAQ yet) That means, by exclusion from not being denied, you can take your bike on the UPX even during rush-hour, something disallowed on GO trains (albeit that remains a grey area, some regs stating (gist) "allowed heading away from rush-hour direction, Union Station banned at all times during rush-hour")
If you enter here you could probably board with a bike at the Union UP Express Station as well during rush hour since the skywalk isn't technically part of Union Station.

its not like there is so much room on those cars vs subway cars for people to start bringing bikes on

Like the rest of the system though, Palma, it's first-come, first-served. Buses only have space for two bikes, rush-hour or not, albeit with a high-quality machine, most drivers will let you stash it under the bus in the second empty luggage locker if it's a single-decker, esp if the wheels pop-off. Some double-decker drivers allow that in the rear space, but it helps to know them, they have to load and unload it, not a prob if it's featherweight w/ wheels popped off.

If what Nahid and others claim is true, a 'cycle underground' may clue into the fact that if they catch a UPX downtown before the 17:50 K/W train leaves (can't board with bike at Union, it's rush-hour) but they can transfer to that train at Bloor at 18:00, or Weston at 18:09, and that train usually has limited space for bikes, but space none-the-less. (It helps if you can pop-off the front wheel in 3 seconds to compact it, which I can, and also makes it more stable). I wonder what other runs can 'cheat the clock' like that? (There may be some bus routes from which you can transfer to a train w/ bike if the transfer is after 18:00. I had one situation trying to get to Oakville from Union with a bike, just within rush-hour and the GO service agent suggested boarding at Exhibition, which evidently a few people do. Took me ten minutes to get there.)

Edit to Add: Any cyclist with any sense of fairness will accept the duty to stand w/ machine on a crowded train. I doubt many travelling to Pearson will be doing same, at least not until that train starts to fill. I do see UPX having to change their policy on a number of points later, which is exactly why I want the regs in print when I try it and when taking a dog. But if they offer that tariff now, I'll take it, space permitting.

Last edited:
It's that particular page they recently published -- amongst other observations -- which is why I think Metrolinx now seems trying their damndest best to try to harmonize UPX and GO for Union/Bloor/Weston at least for the "common use cases".

I'm sure it's not 100% harmonizable on absolutely *everything* -- much like the big difference between streetcars/buses/subways. Say, you have a circus bike that was easy to roll onto a subway but not a streetcar, and doesn't fit properly in a bike rack. And you can't bring your wheelchair onto the older streetcars, because of vehicle limitations. And the lack of baggage space on regular GO trains means baggage should be carried offpeak, while this isn't a problem for UPX as it is specifically designed to accomodate baggage, with compartments and wide aisles.

That's why I feel that the fare policy is vehicle-specific, rather than from which machine you tapped on. Although they now have signage encouraging you to tap on the regular GO readers for non-Pearson rides, it's observed that taps on the UPX readers still work for short-distance hops as long as you tap-out on a UPX reader at your destination -- so technically you can use either reader for a Union/Bloor/Weston hop carrying bringing exactly the same bike or dog...

Nuances like fare expiry, maximum charge for forgetting to tap out, loyalty count towards becoming a pass (unlimited rides), all being considered technical differences between the readers at this time (presumably fixable by software upgrade) rather than current intentional going-forward fare policy...

Last edited:
Arrived at Union UPX station around 1:30pm today - departure countdown showed 3 minutes, but there was no train in the station, so I knew something was up.

After the counter had counted down and looped around (showing 14 minutes) there was a meek station announcement about a "brief delay". I waited another 20 minutes and still no train, and it was clear the station agents had no additional info. The UPX Twitter account was silent, but I did see tweets from some people complaining of being stuck in a train for upwards of an hour.

At that point I couldn't gamble on waiting any longer - I'm now in a cab on the way to Pearson.

I know delays are inevitable, but the complete lack of info and communication is very disappointing.

I'm also curious the cause. If it were a problem with one set, I'm not sure why it would mean more than one missed delay at Union. Anyone have some insider knowledge here?

Back