Allow, with restrictions. The current rules make sense (muzzled or in cage, no exotics) and it's really not that big of an issue given how rarely it happens.

Now, eating on the trains, littering, having their feet up the seat and other sociopathic behaviours - that's what we should focus on. Sometimes I am not sure if some of my fellow passengers are just animals given how they behave.

AoD
Absolutely agreed, although comparing animals to some humans is unfair to many animals. Allowing dogs on off-peak (which is the condition almost all transit systems apply, you wouldn't want your dog in the crush anyway, bad enough being human in it) increases the usage of the system at a time when there's spare capacity.

I've seen all manner of human waste on the TTC, I've never seen animal waste. And btw folks, years of cancer, surgery and age (I'm a senior) has left me asthmatic. I use a corticosteroid inhaler. I also cycle well over 100 kms on a good day weather permitting, almost hit 200 km one day a few weeks back. If you have a condition, the onus is on *you* to address it in most cases.

Europeans by and large have few restrictions on dogs, and they are, by and large much healthier than Canadians. Time to get past this "People shouldn't be allowed to..." mentality.

I think fat people should be banned from transit...

As an owner of around 200lbs of dog (spread over two lovely guys) I live by the rule that only I know them and I have no idea what others may or may not be thinking of when they see them. I am fully aware that the only ways they could do someone harm is a) through an alergy, b) through fear induced heart attack because they are big guys or c) drowing because one of them really likes to lick folks (the other one not so much).......but that is all knowledge I have and can't/should not expect others to assume that they are "safe" or "ok".

That said, I do use it to my advantage sometimes. I get really annoyed by people knocking on my door to sell me stuff without being invited. So when someone does knock, i just fling the door open and let them out on the porch. More often than not the sales person says something along the lines of "can you put the dogs in the house"...to which I answer "no, they live here, you don't and, in fact, you came here uninvited....you are, however, free to leave if they are bothering you".

They almost always leave :)

Immigrants don't bite people. Truthfully I don't want anything furry around my food. I cant speak for other peoples dogs but mine begs for food. I was just at Yorkdale Mall and a lady had her dog in the mall. It was a Paris Hilton sized dog but to me that is not the point. I'm guessing most dog owners think there dog is a good dog and is not capable of biting anyone yet it happens. One last story, once I worked at a high end retail at bay and bloor. A customer came in with their dog which then continued to poo on our store floor. The manager had us paper rock scissors to see who picked it up. People don't poop on public floors a expect others to pick it up. I never called other people savages for wanting this, I just have a hard time thinking the majority approve of it (a poll would help). Maybe I am wrong though. I do appreciate dog parks so people can let their dogs off their leash in a confined space. BTW I have no problem with animals in carriers.

What about people eating food on the UPX? (Wonder if that would include breastfeeding babies?)

What about people eating food on the UPX? (Wonder if that would include breastfeeding babies?)

Not a fan of people eating on transit *but* so long as it is discreet, not making a mess and create real olfactory distress I can accept it. Just "be reasonable" - transit is not a dining car.

AoD

Now, eating and messing up the trains, littering, having their feet up the seat and other sociopathic behaviours - that's what we should focus on.

AoD
What about people eating food on the UPX?
I'm not ok with eating either since many leave their garbage. But now I'm sounding like a transit nazi.

Not a fan of people eating on transit *but* so long as it is discreet, not making a mess and create real olfactory distress I can accept it. Just "be reasonable" - transit is not a dining car.

AoD

UPX advertises their tray tables as being for eating, i.e. get something at Mill St or Balzac's at Union and enjoy it in your seat on the train, so I have to disagree with that. I definitely agree for other forms of transit, but since UPX is a premium airport train, it makes sense to be able to eat onboard--and why are the tray tables there, otherwise? They're much too small and flimsy to support a laptop.

UPX advertises their tray tables as being for eating, i.e. get something at Mill St or Balzac's at Union and enjoy it in your seat on the train, so I have to disagree with that. I definitely agree for other forms of transit, but since UPX is a premium airport train, it makes sense to be able to eat onboard--and why are the tray tables there, otherwise? They're much too small and flimsy to support a laptop.
I've never noticed them, always sat in the section for handicapped as that's where they ask you to sit if you have a dog with you (they point to the picture of the assistance dog on the wall there). Ironically, that's also where they have you sit or stand if you have a bike with you too. It's good for the dog, as then the other passengers have space to lean over and pet him, he's always a hit with travellers. Most of them melt when they see him, it's a tension relief when travelling to get on or off a flight, many of them have dogs at home, so it allows a moment of familiarity, and of course, good conversation. And the on-board staff love him too, he's become a regular.

AoD

Yep. There are too many slobs stuffing their faces with gross smelly food, spilling it, leaving the trash behind. It's disgusting. I don't care what is advertised. Unless you are a child or baby, eating on GO/UPX is unnecessary and revolting. Even worse are the people doing it on GO buses. You have no escape from them there.

Last edited:
Same with breathing. I hate it when people breath, or chuckle in happiness. Should be stamped out. Hey, if you've just been working yer arse off all day, had no breaks, run to catch the last bus or train, and can grab a snack to stop your digestive juices from dissolving the stomach wall, then why not? Because YOU might be offended?

What the hell is wrong with people? If you do it with grace, clean up after yourself, and minimize imposition on others, then you can shove it if you don't like it.

It's not whether people eat or not in public, it's *how* they do it.

Ditto for a coffee from Balzac getting on UPX when you're dehydrated, and just need something to wet the pallet. (In my case, due to the medicines needed to keep me alive, I often have dry-mouth, especially after cycling 100 kms or more) As long as you don't spill it, and dispose of the empty cup after, then what's anyone's problem?

"Hello, police? I'd like to complain: There's a man across from me enjoying his life, and I'd like it to stop. Can you send someone right away? Oh, and his socks don't match. I hate that."

Yep. There are too many slobs stuffing their faces with gross smelly food, spilling it, leaving the trash behind. It's disgusting. I don't care what is advertised. Unless you are a child or baby, eating on GO/UPX is unnecessary and revolting. Even worse are the people doing it on GO buses. You have no escape from them there.

Do you feel the same way about Via Rail, which has tray tables just like UPX and sells food on board? Airline flights?

Do you feel the same way about Via Rail, which has tray tables just like UPX and sells food on board? Airline flights?

Slight difference - VIA has someone coming by to clean up on route and in between trips.

What the hell is wrong with people? If you do it with grace, clean up after yourself, and minimize imposition on others, then you can shove it if you don't like it.

It's not whether people eat or not in public, it's *how* they do it.

A blanket ban is excessive BUT the problem isn't with those who does it with "grace" (that's probably a little too much to expect), but with those who pushes the boundaries of acceptability. The current experience with transit is that it's a complete hands-off approach - don't care, didn't see anything, free for all.

I mean, to push it to the extreme - just how should one feel about sharing a ride with someone eating a nice ripe slice of Roquefort (or durian, or stinky tofu) on the train?

AoD

Last edited:
Mississauga Transit used to (still does?) have a policy that "light snacks" and non-alcoholic beverages were permitted for consumption on board. That's a reasonable guideline: I would never want to deprive commuters of their coffee or shift workers from eating when they have the opportunity to do so. I'd consider most hand-held foods, like apples, bananas, pastries, bagels, non-stinky sandwiches, even yogurt (which does need a spoon) to be acceptable. If VIA can sell it from a cart, or you can pick it up from a Starbucks, it's fair game.

Mississauga Transit used to (still does?) have a policy that "light snacks" and non-alcoholic beverages were permitted for consumption on board. That's a reasonable guideline: I would never want to deprive commuters of their coffee or shift workers from eating when they have the opportunity to do so. I'd consider most hand-held foods, like apples, bananas, pastries, bagels, non-stinky sandwiches, even yogurt (which does need a spoon) to be acceptable. If VIA can sell it from a cart, or you can pick it up from a Starbucks, it's fair game.

Half the time the issue isn't even what one eats - but how the remains are disposed of. That to me is area that needs the most work on.

Like - beyond the ubiquitous pop cans and coffee cups (always half full, which of course promptly spills - and yes, we know it's a double-double because it's sticky on the floor), there are the charmers who decided that scattering nutshells all over the floor is a great idea.

And given the seating arrangement on UPX this isn't a huge issue - but TTC and GO quads - how many times have you ever had to avoid sitting down because of unknown stains that you knew are probably the result of someone sticking wet shoes up?

AoD

Last edited:

Back