Took the UPX home from Jays Home Opener Friday. It was packed, standing room only, wouldn't be surprised if not everyone got on. ...

With Line 2 down between Jane and Christie, that meant people (who have PRESTO already) would be using UPX instead of getting to or using Keele or Dundas West subway stations.

If ridership keeps going up, they should go the skytrain way. Bring in the fare gates!

Since ML is going the route of introducing RER and attract more typical off peak riders, fare evasion would go up.

Don't even need them everywhere. One set at Pearson with a single attendant to assist tourists in buying tickets and a second set at Union would do the trick; tap or scan barcode in and out. See DME airport train for an example. I thought it was a brilliant way to keep capital expenditure low and fare-fraud minimal.

You also need to remove the LCD screens and no smoking signs.
Good one on no smoking signage!

But the LCD sign looks passable as a 50s style paper billboard -- the big font of that sign is right up the alley from that era.
Though the suggestively dynamic info "14mins" is just a tad weird for a static paper sign.

Good one on no smoking signage!

But the LCD sign looks passable as a 50s style paper billboard -- the big font of that sign is right up the alley from that era.
Though the suggestively dynamic info "14mins" is just a tad weird for a static paper sign.

...and nobody's even mentioned the smartphone yet. :)

...and nobody's even mentioned the smartphone yet. :)
Oh yes! Good catch.

That said, it admittedly doesn't look odd from a distance -- it is passable as a cigarette carrier, passport, timetable, wallet, pocket album of husband/kids, tinbox of train tickets. The mysterious alien "No Smoking" sign, and "14mins" on a paper billboard, appears to be much weirder looking for 1950s than holding some small indistinct object.

The mysterious alien "No Smoking" sign, and "14mins" on a paper billboard, appears to be much weirder looking for 1950s than holding some small indistinct object.
Yeah, those are the main things that look out of place. The TV really does just look like any old information sign. Maybe service at this station is every 14 minutes? And no smoking? What is this, an operating room?

I think a real contributor to the effect is the serif font on the train's destination sign.

upload_2016-4-11_16-53-15.png

upload_2016-4-11_16-53-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-11_16-53-15.png
    upload_2016-4-11_16-53-15.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 532
  • upload_2016-4-11_16-53-46.png
    upload_2016-4-11_16-53-46.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 536
Is that an analog clock? Most places use digital clocks these days. Still, an new fanged analog clock is better than a sundial.

Analogclock.jpg

Is that an analog clock? Most places use digital clocks these days. Still, an new fanged analog clock is better than a sundial.

The digital display of an analog clock is very stylish. More so if we had the type of rail system where the train starts moving as the second hand makes its last tick to the 12.
What's incongruous is where you have the digital display, but when it ticks to the exact departure time, someone has to blow a whistle and wave a flag before the doors close. How old school is that ?

- Paul

I don't understand how these signals work but I find it surprising UPX shuts down for signal issues but I can take Kitchener GO on the same line instead.

Back