The 5th anniversary of the cancelled trains will be April 3 of this year.....my money is on that there still are less trains running at that time than there was on April 2, 2010.....5 years and $1.2B later!
Given we've all heard the rumours from those on the inside that the service won't be restored until September 2015, which makes perfect sense from a crew availability perspective, then it seems a safe bet!

Though perhaps by April 3, there'd be more trains running - though some would be express to Pearson. :)

Given we've all heard the rumours from those on the inside that the service won't be restored until September 2015, which makes perfect sense from a crew availability perspective, then it seems a safe bet!

Though perhaps by April 3, there'd be more trains running - though some would be express to Pearson. :)

The promise at cancellation was that those express to Pearson trains would be running AND there would be increased GO service....given the, now, 1,739 days they have had to prepare the "crew availability" excuse is just another way of saying "we did not plan very well" (I choose that over "we were lying at the time we made those promises").

Sorry DVR I agree with TOArea. The excuses piling up from Metrolinx on this are getting irritating. They increased service on Lakeshore and not Milton, they have enough money to build another damn parking in YR but not to expand rail service?

You're forgetting the most crucial thing. Metrolinx owns Lake Shore. They don't own Milton. It's not up to them whether to increase capacity/service to Milton.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/corridorownership/corridor_ownership.aspx

I understand the broader discussion is about returning and expanding service to the Kitchener line. Just made sense in that post Milton and Lake Shore were referring to GO lines.

Last edited:
I understand the broader discussion is about returning and expanding service to the Kitchener line. Just made sense in that post Milton and Lake Shore were referring to GO lines.

My apologies....seems you were replying at around the same time I was realizing the post you responded to did bring Milton in.....my deletion of my inaccurate response was happening as you replied....again, sorry.

The UPX train only goes to Terminal 1. Say if you just arrived at Terminal 3, how long would it take to hop on the monorail and walk to the UPX terminal at T1 (I have never used it)?

The UPX train only goes to Terminal 1. Say if you just arrived at Terminal 3, how long would it take to hop on the monorail and walk to the UPX terminal at T1 (I have never used it)?

The airport people mover and UP station are pretty much the exact same station. (The UP station is actually nestled within the people mover station.) Short of there being an UP stop at T3, it is pretty much as convenient as possible.

Without looking up people mover travel times or frequency, I would say that you could be on an UP train in less than 10 minutes, 100% of the time.

Does anyone know off-hand what proportion of Pearson travellers today use T1 versus T3?

No, but that's not going to help much. A connecting passenger is counted twice but won't actually leave the airport (T1 is connection heavy). Similarly, the people taking a discount airline (T3 has tons of these) probably aren't going to be taking UPX as they also tend to stay in the cheaper hotels on the periphery of the city.

The airport people mover and UP station are pretty much the exact same station. (The UP station is actually nestled within the people mover station.) Short of there being an UP stop at T3, it is pretty much as convenient as possible.

Without looking up people mover travel times or frequency, I would say that you could be on an UP train in less than 10 minutes, 100% of the time.

The service is as follows (from http://www.torontopearson.com/en/link/#):

03:30 am – 07:30 am Peak Service 4 minutes
07:30 am – 11:30 am Off Peak 8 minutes
11:30 am – 11:30 pm Peak Service 4 minutes
11:30 pm – 03:30 am Off Peak 8 minutes

The travel time between T1 and T3 is only a couple minutes, so it's not much time between the wait and the travel time.

The service is as follows (from http://www.torontopearson.com/en/link/#):

03:30 am – 07:30 am Peak Service 4 minutes
07:30 am – 11:30 am Off Peak 8 minutes
11:30 am – 11:30 pm Peak Service 4 minutes
11:30 pm – 03:30 am Off Peak 8 minutes

The travel time between T1 and T3 is only a couple minutes, so it's not much time between the wait and the travel time.

I wonder if the people mover will eventually be calibrated to arrive at the same time as the UP Express train, that way there is always a shuttle to T3 when a UP Express train pulls in. Shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish considering the people mover arrives every 4 minutes during peak times. Every third arrival would just need to match the UP Express arrival time.

I wonder if the people mover will eventually be calibrated to arrive at the same time as the UP Express train, that way there is always a shuttle to T3 when a UP Express train pulls in. Shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish considering the people mover arrives every 4 minutes during peak times. Every third arrival would just need to match the UP Express arrival time.

The problem is that the schedule times(just an example) are offset:
times.png

by UPX departure I mean from T1 to Union and people mover arrival I mean into T1 from T3

Besides its not really necessary since the longest you would have to wait by getting on a people mover that just misses meeting with the UPX would be 18 minutes as opposed to the normal 15 minute wait.

Attachments

• times.png
    times.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 897

Back