Once upon a time, there were only a few supermarkets downtown -- almost none.

Over the years, as the condos popped up, they managed to cram all kinds of stores everywhere, like Sobey's, Loblaws, Longo's, and more, sometimes in odd shaped places or unusual buildings. Now you're (usually) within a walk or short transit ride of a reasonable supermarket.

I wonder if time is ripe for a reasonably good small downtown hardware store. Not Lowe's sized, but certainly Home Hardware would probably find success. Albiet prices may necessarily be slightly higher for a special location due to the expensive square footage -- so that might be difficult for a chain that relies on flyer prices. Though downtown is a pricing zone unto itself.

There are 2 Home Hardwares in the west end which fit into small spaces. One on Ossington and one in Liberty Village.

Pfft, the one on Dufferin north of Bloor is half the size of those (yet still manages to cram everything you need in it – it's pretty great).

I've been in that 23rd St Home Depot before – the huge skylight is kind of amazing.

But it is ridiculous that you can't get small useful things downtown. I miss when The Bay was a department store that actually had departments other than clothing. The pharmacy in the basement actually had nails and fuses and such, it was incredibly helpful.

Pfft, the one on Dufferin north of Bloor is half the size of those (yet still manages to cram everything you need in it – it's pretty great).

I've been in that 23rd St Home Depot before – the huge skylight is kind of amazing.

But it is ridiculous that you can't get small useful things downtown. I miss when The Bay was a department store that actually had departments other than clothing. The pharmacy in the basement actually had nails and fuses and such, it was incredibly helpful.

Did Sears at the Eaton Centre ever have a Craftsman department? I cannot recall..

You meant world famous Pizza Pizza? It's coming to Union. Funny how curated that was.

AoD
Cardboard Cardboard? Ew. Anyway, it's kinda funny how this thread is all about Union's food, and kinda annoying at the same time.

Saw this update posted on Twitter, looks like finishing touches on the VIA Concourse:

Katia Osokine‏@KatiaOsokine
So, Union station VIA Concourse wall finish is being matched to the original tiling on the columns. New in background, original in foreground.

DTMBziKUQAAsZJX.jpg

9:58 AM - 10 Jan 2018

Original on left, new on right, side-by-side in the VIA Concourse-Great Hall passageway

DTMCT17XcAEQr54.jpg

10:00 AM - 10 Jan 2018

I think it’s going to be an excellent background much the same way we need fewer iconic, more background buildings

DTMClN1V4AUcSgY.jpg

10:01 AM - 10 Jan 2018

Original on left, new on right

DTMC3FFUMAA2cAx.jpg

10:02 AM - 10 Jan 2018

Saw this update posted on Twitter, looks like finishing touches on the VIA Concourse:
Yes, reported in post 4765 above, thx for the photos. They have made good progress with the VIA area this week and the central 'aisle' really looks pretty good. The small tiled areas are probably 80% or more done and I assume they will finish the final section of terrazzo floor soon and then polish it all and then maybe paint ceiling. Still working on the two side aisles but they too are moving' on well.

Anybody know what the latest plan is for the north side of the Great Hall? At one time this was going to be a restaurant but I have heard nothing about it for ages and they seem to have finished whatever work they were doing behind the (former) ticket wickets.

Anybody know what the latest plan is for the north side of the Great Hall? At one time this was going to be a restaurant but I have heard nothing about it for ages and they seem to have finished whatever work they were doing behind the (former) ticket wickets.

From my what I've been told, Osmington still has plans for a restaurant to fill that area. There was talk of a oyster bar, but things change all the time. Still some work to be done on the terrazzo floor, and after that is complete, a firm tenant should emerge.

From my what I've been told, Osmington still has plans for a restaurant to fill that area. There was talk of a oyster bar, but things change all the time. Still some work to be done on the terrazzo floor, and after that is complete, a firm tenant should emerge.

Union needs a place that can double as a lunch restaurant not just somewhere to go for a night out. Something like Jamie Olivers Italian Kitchen or even along the lines of Frans. Nobody is going to eat Oysters for lunch which leaves them with a pretty narrow market for an Oyster Bar.

Back