Not the ones that run east-west along the south side of Front St, those will be entirely sealed, I don't think they'll have climate control systems right there but they'll get heat/cooling from the station, hence the middle-of-the-road temperature.

I believe the ones that run north-south on the east side of York south of Front, and the west side of Bay south of Front, will not be entirely sealed and will therefore be around the ambient outside temperature.
Exactly - the north-south covered areas are not really 'moats" and - even if it turns out that they have doors these will open directly outside. (They join into the real moats under the two 'bridges' and I assume they may have doors there tot, to (partly) protect the east-west moats from 'the real world'.

Not the ones that run east-west along the south side of Front St, those will be entirely sealed, I don't think they'll have climate control systems right there but they'll get heat/cooling from the station, hence the middle-of-the-road temperature.

I believe the ones that run north-south on the east side of York south of Front, and the west side of Bay south of Front, will not be entirely sealed and will therefore be around the ambient outside temperature.
So there will be doors between the York and Bay to Front Moats? Also, are the Front Moats connected?

So there will be doors between the York and Bay to Front Moats? Also, are the Front Moats connected?
It appears that there will be doors entering the "covered areas' running north-south on Bay and York. Then there MAY be additional doors under the two bridges to enter the actual moats that run just south of Front Street. I think we do not have detailed plans that would show these but.... be patient, all will be revealed in due course!

The two Front moats are connected under the main "bridge" that runs between the two Union Station main entrances. There will be some sort of art piece in this passageway commemorating the Walks & Gardens Trust.

Are the moats going to to be partially open to the outside?
Climate comtroled for horizontal moats (front street)
Open air for vertical moats (teamway sides)

The two halves of the Front Street moats will be doored/walled off on all four sides + fully climate controlled. Tee shirt walk between Union and rest of PATH. Yay!

Last edited:
Succuterra in the Arrivals area has bit the dust.

20180405_061740.jpg

Attachments

• 20180405_061740.jpg
    20180405_061740.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 366
With the departure of the chocolate place and Succuterra closing I wonder if Union is starting to become a bit like Aura

With the departure of the chocolate place and Succuterra closing I wonder if Union is starting to become a bit like Aura
Certainly not aesthetically! Also, the chocolate place was always intended to be a pop-up so their departure is hardly a surprise.

Certainly not aesthetically! Also, the chocolate place was always intended to be a pop-up so their departure is hardly a surprise.

Even still, it is not exactly idea to have so many businesses depart so soon. The weird thing is when I went through Union yesterday both in the morning and afternoon there were no signs of any imminent closures. It is a bit like the Mandela effect. Also... does anyone recall the movie Shazaam where Sinbad was a genie?

Even still, it is not exactly idea to have so many businesses depart so soon. The weird thing is when I went through Union yesterday both in the morning and afternoon there were no signs of any imminent closures. It is a bit like the Mandela effect. Also... does anyone recall the movie Shazaam where Sinbad was a genie?

It's less that they are departing so soon, but more that they are in so early - earlier than they should be given the overall state of the works. Why would anyone want to setup shop at a dusty corridor that had been in renovation for so long is beyond me.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
It's less that they are departing so soon, but more that they are in so early - earlier than they should be given the overall state of the works. Why would anyone want to setup shop at a dusty corridor that had been in renovation for so long is beyond me.

AoD
One assumes the rents were attractive - because of the building-site environment!

Succuterra was also intended on being a Pop-up shop only. Whether it was for one month or more wasn't clear but this shop was never going to be permanent. Most likely Union knows longer term tenants will be harder to secure in the short term, at least until renovations are done, so they left a couple units to be used by Pop-up installations. Similar to some retail locations on Queen Street.

I think pop ups and, likely, revolving tenancies is probably why they went with the generic storefront approach in that section of Union.

I wonder if there is some scope for the City/Union Station management to ask GO/UPX, maybe even VIA to carry Union Station promotional material on their trains, so that people who use the same optimized route every day might be tempted to stray off it and spend some $?

Back