The paper tags are were to indicate you've been vaccinated. As of last monday there are no tags anymore.
The ones above your seat? No, those were to indicate to the onboard crew where you were going, and whether your ticket had been scanned. They were also not used if the train was busy enough to have an entire car dedicated to one destination.

The stickers were used to indicate your vaccination status.

Dan

Parks Canada would throw a fit if they did. The vitrines are original to the station and cannot be removed due to heritage rules. Don't forget there are several layers of protection on Union Station from being on the City of Toronto heritage roster to being a National Historical Site.
Oh hErItAgE, Parks Canada probably does nice stuff out of Union Station, but my god have they really messed up the inside and outside of it. I personally believe (and I’m sure many here thinks the same) that only the head house should be preserved.
They made it so the canopy can’t be taken down, so now we’re stuck with that for the rest of the stations existence, and the stupid “historical” look of the VIA concourse. Nobody goes in the concourse and thinks “wow this has been preserved wonderfully”, they think it was a result of the past 30 years replacing historical stuff with tacky fixtures and now the bare minimum is left.

Look at Amtraks concourses in their major stations, WE need that here, not some half-assed attempt at making a concourse look “historical” and backing VIA into a corner to where they can’t even use portions of it, like the display cases.

Okay I’m sorry that this reply got heated, I just really dislike the VIA concourse and other changes Parks Canada imposed upon Union.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why VIA needs it own concourse? Doesn’t the York/Bay concourse have access to the exact same platforms? It’s obviously not going to happen but couldn’t they have taken out the VIA concourse and just connected Bay/York into a much bigger space? Would help with people flows as well

Is there a reason why VIA needs it own concourse? Doesn’t the York/Bay concourse have access to the exact same platforms? It’s obviously not going to happen but couldn’t they have taken out the VIA concourse and just connected Bay/York into a much bigger space? Would help with people flows as well

The York and Bay Concourses do not have access to some of the VIA platforms. When GO transit first started up they actually shared the VIA arrivals concourse. It was not until Canada Post left Union Station that the Bay Concourse opened.

Oh hErItAgE, Parks Canada probably does nice stuff out of Union Station, but my god have they really messed up the inside and outside of it. I personally believe (and I’m sure many here thinks the same) that only the head house should be preserved.
They made it so the canopy can’t be taken down, so now we’re stuck with that for the rest of the stations existence, and the stupid “historical” look of the VIA concourse. Nobody goes in the concourse and thinks “wow this has been preserved wonderfully”, they think it was a result of the past 30 years replacing historical stuff with tacky fixtures and now the bare minimum is left.

Look at Amtraks concourses in their major stations, WE need that here, not some half-assed attempt at making a concourse look “historical” and backing VIA into a corner to where they can’t even use portions of it, like the display cases.

Okay I’m sorry that this reply got heated, I just really dislike the VIA concourse and other changes Parks Canada imposed upon Union.

Should have just gone in an ripped those garbage to chunks before telling them to worry about 1 Front next door instead.

AoD

The York and Bay Concourses do not have access to some of the VIA platforms. When GO transit first started up they actually shared the VIA arrivals concourse. It was not until Canada Post left Union Station that the Bay Concourse opened.
also VIA needs an area for people to pick up checked luggage from

Reactions: PL1
also VIA needs an area for people to pick up checked luggage from
They have luggage carousel on the west side of the concourse. But only the Canadian has checked luggage so it's not used that much. Corridor services don't have baggage cars since covid, and we don't know when they are coming back

Reactions: DSC
From earlier this week.
A long walk and or stroll in the wheelchairs.
C9B624C7-A7A2-4BD0-BF7F-FF93D6C917DC.jpeg

3A7377C3-9B0D-469D-A73C-4AED92D5D8AA.jpeg

Our favourite barriers. No more TD logos on them. The good news is that it looks like the patio is coming back again this summer.
4357BE55-E625-4EC1-BE9F-8A86FA99CB2F.jpeg

They have luggage carousel on the west side of the concourse. But only the Canadian has checked luggage so it's not used that much. Corridor services don't have baggage cars since covid, and we don't know when they are coming back
True but I don't really think go transit wants to put them in either of their concorcses as someone suggested that via could use them.

Do other stations have national and regional trains separated like Union? Every other station I've used has both types of trains use the same parts of the station with the departure boards showing both. That makes it much easier to navigate, especially for people unfamiliar with the quirks of Union's layout.

True but I don't really think go transit wants to put them in either of their concorcses as someone suggested that via could use them.
I think Metrolinx wouldn’t oppose a small baggage carousel if it comes with all the space that is the VIA concourse. Also with Metrolinx launching longer service like the one to London, it’d give them an option to offer it. Not saying they should/would but just another option.
Do other stations have national and regional trains separated like Union? Every other station I've used has both types of trains use the same parts of the station with the departure boards showing both. That makes it much easier to navigate, especially for people unfamiliar with the quirks of Union's layout.
there’d also be more boarding points and for accessibility, a barrier free access to the concourse without using elevators.

Back