Yikes, they have to rip up both Bay West and the Bay East teamways for this project. Bay East was just completely renovated and now it’ll go to waste.
C704211B-58F4-421F-BF47-9113B926FD41.jpeg
4F48C8CC-25A6-479A-B146-CE480A9AEC01.jpeg

Yikes, they have to rip up both Bay West and the Bay East teamways for this project. Bay East was just completely renovated and now it’ll go to waste. View attachment 466685View attachment 466686
Unfortunately, they blew a lot of time trying to avoid doing this loop expansion and so the opportunities to take advantage of CIBC Square construction are gone. At least we'll get an additional station entrance on the East side of Bay.

I noticed that the Ferry Docks the South side entrance has been cut. It was pretty awkward given space constraints there, but I was hoping it would at least get put in so that if the Hotel ever got redeveloped they could possibly just have a very long escalator within the new building as an improved access.

Unfortunately, they blew a lot of time trying to avoid doing this loop expansion and so the opportunities to take advantage of CIBC Square construction are gone. At least we'll get an additional station entrance on the East side of Bay.

I noticed that the Ferry Docks the South side entrance has been cut. It was pretty awkward given space constraints there, but I was hoping it would at least get put in so that if the Hotel ever got redeveloped they could possibly just have a very long escalator within the new building as an improved access.
The re-development of the Harbour Castle Hotel Conference centre site is 'on hold' and the decision was made not to make too many changes to the Ferry Dock Station until it re-starts. It would clearly be stupid to create an expensive FD Station only to have to 'adjust' it a few years down the line when that site (11 Bay) is finally developed - as it clearly will be. (See https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...45m-54s-quadreal-daoust-lestage.31342/page-13 )

Honest question: What's the point of having sidewalks within the roadway area of the teamways? You have two giant walkways on the other side of the concrete walls, which are a much more pleasant environment for pedestrians. It just seems like that sidewalk space within the 'main' teamway area would be better allocated to providing protection for the bike lanes. Better yet, use that sidewalk space AS the bike lanes, so they're physically separated from the roadway.

Honest question: What's the point of having sidewalks within the roadway area of the teamways? You have two giant walkways on the other side of the concrete walls, which are a much more pleasant environment for pedestrians. It just seems like that sidewalk space within the 'main' teamway area would be better allocated to providing protection for the bike lanes. Better yet, use that sidewalk space AS the bike lanes, so they're physically separated from the roadway.
Maybe sidewalks along the street are needed in case the teamways are closed or unusable?

Reactions: DSC
I don't know as I'm not usually in the area at 4am, but as the Teamways are technically indoor space wouldn't they only be open during the times that Union station is open? If so, that would explain the need for sidewalks in addition to the teamways

Maximizing pedestrian capacity seems like the wisest use of the limited space we have here. This area sees some of the heaviest pedestrian traffic in the city, particularly surging for events at the Rogers Centre. Impeding the flow of those crowds by restricting barrier-free movement ought to be avoided as much as possible, as there are legitimate safety risks that come from overcrowding (see here for example). By comparison, there is minimal cycling traffic on this stretch of the street. Were dedicated cycling infrastructure deemed to be necessary, that space should come from the road.

I think the answer would be that the City does not own the teamways and they could be locked at times - to keep out vagrants etc?

Good points everyone re: opening hours. I know there are doors into the Bay and York Concourses from the teamways, but are there doors to the platform accesses as well? If so, it's pretty much a self-contained area. The vagrant issue could be solved with security I would think.

Good points everyone re: opening hours. I know there are doors into the Bay and York Concourses from the teamways, but are there doors to the platform accesses as well? If so, it's pretty much a self-contained area. The vagrant issue could be solved with security I would think.

As the moat has shown us, give the homeless a self contained area and they will use it as a bathroom, crack den and baby factory.

As the moat has shown us, give the homeless a self contained area and they will use it as a bathroom, crack den and baby factory.

Perhaps if we gave them somewhere to live, maybe somewhere with a bathroom; and if needed, an addiction treatment program, and follow-up support.......

Crazy thoughts, I know.

Back