1.2 MB · Views: 1,073
  • DSC00891.JPG
    DSC00891.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 872
  • DSC00892.JPG
    DSC00892.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 868
Last edited:

So they make a choice to provide large and welcome signage to indicate that this is Union Station to help people in way-finding then proceed to put up an info post that blocks the brand-new sign from view!? It makes you wonder if there is anyone overseeing the big picture or if there are a hundred different planners working on their own and not speaking to each other.

^^ Huh?

TotoTo, you do realize the purpose of the large sign is so people can see it from a distance... if you cross over to the north side of Front St... or walk up Bay and/or University to understand the purpose. smh.

Look at the first 2 photos that Miscreant posted, on the approach walking west along Front St and coming up to Bay St., the word UNION is blocked by a newly installed rectangular info-post directly in front of it. Assuming that the "Union Station" sign was made of large letters and faces east, so that it can easily be seen from a distance when coming from the east, putting a large fixture that blocks part of that sign seems self-defeating.

The wood "bollard" is a temporary cover for bolts/electrical for a post of some kind (e.g. streetlight, stoplight).

Based on their locations, it is probably the post for the new permanent traffic lights.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense.

To my mind the only really unsightly thing left (and probably nothing to do with the revitalization project itself) is the vent in the sidewalk near the west end of the station building. It is sunken into the sidewalk and the grate is surrounded by a combination of asphalt patches and plywood.

I did look at Miscreant's pics before posting and I really don't have any issue with their placement tbh.
The lettering is not meant to be viewed from a single angle anyway or as the singular identifier of the station.
If you're walking south on University, York, and Bay the signage is clear and visible.

Anyway the Union Precinct looks exceptional and with the exception of the poor choice in street lamps I have very little complaints with it especially as a daily user.

Doesn't look too bad. Hate the fact they cheapened out on the streetlights.

What is it about the streetlights that everyone hates so much? What is it you would have? Was there a plan for the BEST STREETLIGHT EVER that was killed?

I'd really like to know, because they're so innocuous I had to go back and look for them in the picture of the Royal York to see what you were on about. Was there an iconic streetlight that was supposed to be used here that was killed due to budget costs / Hydro complaints / no 'vision'?

On another topic: Man, L Tower is gorgeous. Every time I glimpse it in another thread I double-take.

Ah, thanks, that makes sense.

To my mind the only really unsightly thing left (and probably nothing to do with the revitalization project itself) is the vent in the sidewalk near the west end of the station building. It is sunken into the sidewalk and the grate is surrounded by a combination of asphalt patches and plywood.
These are 'vents' from the subway and they seem to be rebuilding them (rather slowly). They have just about finished the one at the west side of Royal York and the I=ones on Yonge east of bay. I assume they cannot work on them while the subway is running in case bits fall onto trains but ... Patience?

What is it about the streetlights that everyone hates so much? What is it you would have? Was there a plan for the BEST STREETLIGHT EVER that was killed?

I'd really like to know, because they're so innocuous I had to go back and look for them in the picture of the Royal York to see what you were on about. Was there an iconic streetlight that was supposed to be used here that was killed due to budget costs / Hydro complaints / no 'vision'?

On another topic: Man, L Tower is gorgeous. Every time I glimpse it in another thread I double-take.

If you would have read the thread you would have seen that the original lights depicted below we changed for cheaper banal ones:

le5IYCo.png

So yes we should complain when Toronto does the usual cheapening. We should rename the city to Cheap City.

After years of construction it's really weird seeing photos of the site in pristine condition now. It almost doesn't seem real and is too good to be true. Am I dreaming??

So they make a choice to provide large and welcome signage to indicate that this is Union Station to help people in way-finding then proceed to put up an info post that blocks the brand-new sign from view!? It makes you wonder if there is anyone overseeing the big picture or if there are a hundred different planners working on their own and not speaking to each other.
lol, good eye

What they promised:

What we got:

It could have been better.

Actually it wasn't promised - that was from a very, very early report for the precinct and have nothing to do with the design advanced by the EA.

On another note - there are some images floating around of the market yesterday - have to say it looked great, very urbane. Pics if I can track them down.

AoD

If you would have read the thread you would have seen that the original lights depicted below we changed for cheaper banal ones:

le5IYCo.png

So yes we should complain when Toronto does the usual cheapening. We should rename the city to Cheap City.

Yeah, I'm going to continue to be contrary on this one. I think the trees would have been overkill and I like the fact it's clean and open and the space will be used for public markets, etc. Maybe if the streetlights in your old render matched the refurbished clock perfectly? Otherwise, they look pretty twee to me. Open space, clock, statue, Union. Nice.

le5IYCo.png

Good - because they lights we got shine down on the street and the sidewalk where the light is needed, not up in the sky where its not like the twee Olde Towne Lampes in this drawing.

Reactions: rbt

Back