That's only possible if the train doesn't stop anywhere else along the route in Canada.

This is actually much harder than you might think. It'll be any stop at all for any reason, including non-passenger stops. This train goes through the massive freight X-Ray machine on a regular basis; they're clearly looking for stow-aways (both goods and people). If it stops due to the Welland canal bridge or track congestion regularly, everyone might be required to get off the train just to check what may have been added to it.

US customs at that crossing seems very cautious.

Except that cars can not be locked, as the end doors are primary exits in the event of an accident.

Dan
Toronto, On

Heavy seals on all doors could work; operable in the case of an emergency. A broken seal would require a full inspection.

This is actually much harder than you might think. It'll be any stop at all for any reason, including non-passenger stops. This train goes through the massive freight X-Ray machine on a regular basis; they're clearly looking for stow-aways (both goods and people). If it stops due to the Welland canal bridge or track congestion regularly, everyone might be required to get off the train just to check what may have been added to it.

US customs at that crossing seems very cautious.

While they are very cautious, what you are suggesting is not the case.

The Amtrak trains to Vancouver are cleared in Vancouver station. And the train can and does stop between the border and Vancouver (although not at signals). And for the Amtrak train to Montréal, it is planned to build a border facility within the station in the next couple of years.

Heavy seals on all doors could work; operable in the case of an emergency. A broken seal would require a full inspection.

That would have worked in the 1970s, and in fact, did.

But in modern times, I think that a seal would be considered a lock, and therefore not usable.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Can't see it in the photo, but when I walked by I noticed grimey markings indicating former stairs up in here (where a makeshift shop used to be). Just before the ramp down to via. Perhaps there used to be access to platform 3 through here back when the station was first built?

I doubt it as Track 1 was level with the Great Hall for the most part. The window above the ramp was level with the platform.

The only thing I can think of was perhaps a former access point to the ARRIVALS area. Keep in mind that when GO transit came into play the arrivals concourse was used both by CP/CN and GO.

There is also the possibility that it could have been an access staircase from the small office to the VIA area.

Are you talking about the alcoves on the ramp from the Great Hall down to the VIA Departures level? Those were departure gates for Track One (the old track one) back in the day.

- Paul

Are you talking about the alcoves on the ramp from the Great Hall down to the VIA Departures level? Those were departure gates for Track One (the old track one) back in the day.

- Paul

That makes sense. I always wondered why they had those. Any idea why they closed them Paul?

Blame it on the introduction of the Turbo. CN wanted a more modern and more prestigious gate for Turbo, so they moved the gate around into the Great Hall, first on the east side, then some years later over on the west side where the passageway is today. The current (west) passageway was used first as the exit by which arriving Turbo passengers left the platform, but VIA closed the easterly doorway and used the west doorway for arrivals and departures. Turbo used Track 1 exclusively because the trainshed had to be modified for the Turbo exhausts, which weren't in the centre as conventional diesels and steam locos' exhaust stacks were.

Around the same time, the downstairs doorways to tracks 2 and 3 were boarded off to lead into a new passageway along with the arrivals staircases, to make the arrivals lobby downstairs the GO ticket collection area. Later, as GO grew, Tracks 4/5 also were added to this separate area.

- Paul

- Paul
Yes, that's what I meant! Makes sense now. I wonder what they're going to do with these alcove spaces now? Anyone know? Maybe re-establish access to that track?

Except that cars can not be locked, as the end doors are primary exits in the event of an accident.

Dan
Toronto, On
An electronic “seal” or “flag”.

No safety issue.

Doors can be opened anybody, anytime, nothing mechanical. But causes the automatic loss of a CBSA/TSA-approved electronic “flag” and must be customs-cleared because “the electronic seal is now broken” -

In theory it can be completely non-mechanical (photosensor, infrared, etc) and no effect on door opening so not a lock at all, and a simple retrofit to a door. And can only be “reset” by a digital signature attached to a custom inspector’s scanner device - encrypted electronic “flag” officially read/modified by a handheld scanner device that a TSA agent carries.

So, the idea can still work if there is an agreement - a bureaucratic/political obstacle, but once done, it is technically easy. Maybe a future administration.

Last edited:
Excellent pic from Katia Osokine on Twitter:

DNtjoplVwAAJLM7.jpg

Yes, that's what I meant! Makes sense now. I wonder what they're going to do with these alcove spaces now? Anyone know? Maybe re-establish access to that track?

I don't see why they would? Not many trains stop on that track and unless it still sees rush hour go service there is no regular service for Platform 3.

The original idea was Blue 22 was going to stop there.. then UPexpress came along and got its own station.

Does the Canadian use platform 3? If not there really isn't a need for direct access.

Back