Yeah, they had it in the basement of the Royal York. I didn't have to go farther afield, but the BCE Place Gateway would have been next. I didn't go into Union, but I'm not sure where in there I would go for a paper.

I believe it's the only newspaper my five year old has ever held in his hand.

Did they have one there? I'd hope the (increasingly poor) Gateway next to the Hockey Hall of Fame would have one. And I'd be very surprised if the (non-PATH) International News on the south side of Front between Church and Market didn't have it - which has one of the better magazine selections in the city.

You'd think a simple newspaper would be easy enough to find in a train station. Even in the UK it's getting harder to find somewhere with newspapers - but the one place you can count on is train stations; and I didn't have any problems finding newspapers in train stations in Paris.
Heh. This and the discussion of the old concourse reminded me of that early 2000's era of the free commuter newspapers. Metro and the other one, I think called "24"(?) and then late in the cycle "TO Night" came along.
I remember the mountains of discarded papers left littering everywhere at the end of the rush hour. Then we hit 2006 and 3G phones came out and that was the beginning of a rapid end to those.

Heh. This and the discussion of the old concourse reminded me of that early 2000's era of the free commuter newspapers. Metro and the other one, I think called "24"(?) and then late in the cycle "TO Night" came along.
I remember the mountains of discarded papers left littering everywhere at the end of the rush hour. Then we hit 2006 and 3G phones came out and that was the beginning of a rapid end to those.

Lol... actually I only started working downtown in 2010, and I think those free papers ended maybe around 2014. I used to write in dumb stuff regularly and it was amusing to see it get printed.

I also dropped by Royal York on the weekend to try and find the other end of the tunnel. I believe it's this, but can't be certain.

View attachment 598585

On the diagram of the retail basement level, in red is roughly where the photo was taken, and in blue is an unlabeled area which I believe is the tunnel entrance.

View attachment 598586
Rumor back in the day was the city and the hotel refused to repair the path connection. The tunnel started to flood regularly and then it was closed off. The hotel refused to pay and that was the end of that connection.

Grand Tacos Taqueria was switched out with a new Mexican restaurant called Azul:
IMG_8575.jpeg

I don’t know if it’s the same owners and they rebranded or if the old place left and the replacement happened to also be Mexican, but it looked way better before:
IMG_8576.jpeg

I remember when I had a customary drink with the Late Derek Boles here after one of his Union Station tours.

He used to use the a portion of the tour revenue for a beer after the tours.

That's one thing I miss is the tours of Union Station. Unfortunately most (if not all) of the spaces we went into are now being used by Metrolinx. I distinctly recall going to the 4th floor and seeing doors marked CN Intermodal and going into an office overlooking York Street now used by the CEO of Metrolinx.
So I was browsing YouTube for old videos of Union Station to try and.find a frame with an image of the Leather One leather shop (photos of which still ecape me) and found this video documenting a tour by Derek Boles. I though It may be interesting to share:

I’ll have to look back at the disc with the other images I took that day to see if I took any other photos in the area. Will have to dig it up.

I always thought the pizza place was the entrance to the tunnel to the subway. Is that right or is it next to it?
P.S. @APTA-2048 did you get a chance to have a look and find any other relevant pictures?

So I was browsing YouTube for old videos of Union Station to try and.find a frame with an image of the Leather One leather shop (photos of which still ecape me) and found this video documenting a tour by Derek Boles. I though It may be interesting to share:

That brings back memories.

I can't for the life of me recall his assistants name but he always had a shepherd with him.

The basement area they went into was where the baggage carts were stored. He used to do demonstrations with them.

It was accessed via a staircase in a now closed area just off the Bay Concourse.

I'm surprised they managed to get this video. GO Transit was always strict about filming and photography on the tours.

So much so that they told us if people took videos or pictures in certain areas that the tours would end.

Back