So, it's the west side that is where the bypass area is. Referred to in the diagram as "west bypass". I wonder if the rotunda will have the support poles removed? Will be cool to see this all finished.

I believe that adding only a second platform would not solve the bottleneck. If there were more space, then I would propose a Spanish solution to Union station. Five Points station in Atlanta is a perfect example of a Spanish solution station. The infrastructure already exists in Sheppard-Yonge station (Sheppard line) and it would be good to implement it in Union station.

I wish they would add a stairwell from the LRT loop to the East side of Bay Street. Would improve access to/from the Go bus terminal and surrounding area.

I wish they would add a stairwell from the LRT loop to the East side of Bay Street. Would improve access to/from the Go bus terminal and surrounding area.

It's included in the long term plans. Sort of.

There will be an additional automatic entrance/exit to the GO concourse. It probably won't be built until the streetcar platforms get rebuilt whenever that happens.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't know the significance of this work, but I didn't see it when I was there Friday:

Last edited:
The work was evident when I walked through and past the station on Wednesday. The median on Front Street was being ripped up between York and Yonge, as well as the median on Bay south of Front. Heavy equipment was everywhere, and walking through the mezzanine of the subway station you could hear the very loud noises of machines working above. Construction information is on the project website - http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects_and_initiatives/Union_Subway_Station/Construction.jsp

They haven't started digging big holes yet.

The work was evident when I walked through and past the station on Wednesday. The median on Front Street was being ripped up between York and Yonge, as well as the median on Bay south of Front. Heavy equipment was everywhere, and walking through the mezzanine of the subway station you could hear the very loud noises of machines working above. Construction information is on the project website - http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects_and_initiatives/Union_Subway_Station/Construction.jsp

They haven't started digging big holes yet.

North side of Front St (both east and west of bay st) are boarded off. There is now only 1 lane for each direction on Front. Looks likes the big machines are coming shortly to start digging.

I looked through some of the renderings for the new interior in this report, and while the artwork covering sections of the entire platform wall looks promising, the TTC seems to be going for a bland combination of white and neutral finishes, which will probably only be complimented as looking "clean". For the past 60 years, the early stations of the system have been criticized for sterility and blandness, compared even to public washrooms. Why can't they do something more ambitious and expressive with these renovations in terms of design? It's only the most central station in the system. Colourful granite, brick, textured concrete, artistic lighting: there's so many creative possibilities to create a sophisticated space for generations of commuters. They're not even using terrazzo anymore, just "off white/light grey porcelain tile".

Last edited:
The walls and ceilings of the north platform are slowly being chipped down.
Interestingly (not in attached picture), some of the old yellow wall slats have reappeared as part of some kind of temporary work for I don't know what.

Attachments

• Union-20110410.jpg
    Union-20110410.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 313
The walls and ceilings of the north platform are slowly being chipped down.
Interestingly (not in attached picture), some of the old yellow wall slats have reappeared as part of some kind of temporary work for I don't know what.

Those slats appear to be the ones that were under the advertisment boards.

The building permit application is in for the TTC platform.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 174823 BLD 01 BA Accepted Date: Jun 28, 2011

Project: Transit Station,Subway, Bus Terminal Multiple Projects

Description: Revision: Proposal for excavation and shoring on north side of new TTC platform. Proposal to construct new platform on the south side of the existing subway tracks and expand the concourse level. TTC Union Station.

Back