Confused here: If the opposite (original by the looks of it) platform is closed, where do you board the University trains?

Confused here: If the opposite (original by the looks of it) platform is closed, where do you board the University trains?

The original platform is still open, but part of it has been cordoned off to construct the glass wall.

The "New Platform Smell" lasted one day. Parts of the floor are already filthy this morning, and apparently there is already a leak on the new platform. At least it was pristine for one day.

Once the new GO western concourse opens (later this year?) - between the existing VIA concourse and York Street, the entire existing GO concourse is going to close for 2-3 years, and be completely rebuilt, including deepening it, so there won't be any stairs at all between the TTC station the GO station. And there'll be a glass roof on the moat. There's a separate thread about that project - http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showth...-Building-Revitalization-(City-of-TO-U-C-NORR)

And a whole City website about the project: http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=f50e962c8c3f0410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

The end result is the stairs from the TTC to GO will end up looking like this:
012east_moat.jpg

Looking southwest from new TTC exit near Bay towards GO entrance and York

Ahh, I see - I've seen that picture before but its so difficult to figure out which picture is showing what.

So, what will be the footpath from disembarking the GO train to get to the PATH in the interim 2-3 years? How circuitous will that be?

Cheers

So, what will be the footpath from disembarking the GO train to get to the PATH in the interim 2-3 years? How circuitous will that be?
Good question! Somewhat tortuous I'd think. I'd hope that you'd come out of the subway station into the moat, and turn right, (under the bridge for the main VIA entrance from the street), where you'd find a new set of doors from the western moat into the new GO York concourse. I'd also think you'd still be able to come out of the subway station, turn left, and walk in the moat around to the Bay concourse.

But I'm only guessing!

A minor quibble with the signage, but I think using the term "Lines" when referring to "Yonge" and "University-Spadina" is slightly problematic as we are already supposed to use the word "Line" for #1. So it's #1 Line, Yonge Line and just doesn't sound right. They would have been better to refer to the two sides of #1 Line as "branches" I think. It's also a more international standard. So you'd have two branches of the #1 Line... the "Yonge Branch" and the "University-Spadina" (or potentially rename it the "St. George") branch.

Last edited:
A minor quibble with the signage, but I think using the term "Lines" when referring to "Yonge" and "University-Spadina" is slightly problematic as we are already supposed to use the word "Line" for #1. So it's #1 Line, Yonge Line and just doesn't sound right. They would have been better to refer to the two sides of #1 Line as "branches" I think. It's also a more international standard. So you'd have two branches of the #1 Line... the "Yonge Branch" and the "University-Spadina" (or potentially rename it the "St. George") branch.

That's a very good point. "Yonge Branch" would be a much better way to describe it. That term would become useful when GO REX gets implemented as well (ex: Line A, Lakeshore West Branch).

That's a very good point. "Yonge Branch" would be a much better way to describe it. That term would become useful when GO REX gets implemented as well (ex: Line A, Lakeshore West Branch).
There's no branching on the Toronto subway. Branch makes sense in somewhere like the RER in Paris, where a single line through downtown has multiple branches in the suburbs.

I don't think any solution is perfect for Union station. What they've done seems simple and workable. Stop pushing the rope.

The subway lines should have been called "routes" or "trains", which is what they do in New York. There, some numbered/lettered trains uses several lines. For example, the famous A Train uses the IND Eighth Avenue Line, the IND Fulton Avenue Line and the IND Rockaway Line. The 6 uses the Pelham Bay Line and the Lexington Avenue Line.

The 1 uses, arguably, the Spadina Line, the University Line and the Yonge Line.

I agree that branch is the wrong word to use as the two ends are not diverging from a main trunk line, they are simply two ends of it. We used the word arm to describe each half of the line in our front page story for lack of a better option.

To aid with visualizing what is still to come with the Union station project:

This:
B7nks8H.jpg

Image by MafaldaBoy

Will eventually become this:

012east_moat.jpg

I assume that once the new retail level is complete that all the retailers currently in the East/Go concourse (Tim's, Mc'donalds, Mr Sub, Jugo Juice, etc) will move down to that level and the North wall will become one giant bank of doors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo!

If you look in that rendering, you'll see that the existing doors from the moat into the GO concourse are now on the second floor, and become entrances from that suspended walkway into the GO.

One of your links is broken BTW ... and http://flic.kr/p/ovThoX seems to work better than https://flic.kr/p/ovThoX

Thanks. Thought it would be useful to put the photos side by side so that people could compare. Looks like the second link has a sharing restriction so I removed it.

Back