These shutdowns don't seem to involve work at Union. The new platform is currently closed again, and the old platform is the only one in use right now. Didn't hear or see any construction while I was there earlier.

These shutdowns don't seem to involve work at Union. The new platform is currently closed again, and the old platform is the only one in use right now. Didn't hear or see any construction while I was there earlier.

Official TTC TweetsVerified account
‏@TTCnotices
Reminder:Service suspended on Line 1,Union to St Andrew due to scheduled track upgrades. Streetcars operating,#TTC

Work continues on rebuilding the old platform, as seen from the new one. Btw I used the new tunnel that goes between the new subway platform and the streetcar. I think it's great, however there are hardly any signs along the subway platform to direct people toward the streetcar. I had to walk up and down the whole platform before I found it.

15570582801_7e87a39a07_b.jpg

15387228317_1411d664ca_b.jpg

Last edited:
They have added some real beef columns with beam on top of them to support the roof on the south side of the old platform. They have added some concrete walls along the old south edge and could be for wider stairs or relocation of the existing ones.

They have added some real beef columns with beam on top of them to support the roof on the south side of the old platform. They have added some concrete walls along the old south edge and could be for wider stairs or relocation of the existing ones.

That's exactly why there's those steel beams and the concrete wall there - new, wider stairwells and the new elevator are located there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The door into the construction area surrounding where the west ticket booth used to be was propped open today as I went passed and there was a big hole there. Since the beginning I was concerned that they would cheap out on reconstruction of the center platform and leave every support column where it stood thus reducing the benefits of the project because the columns would limit stair widths and reduce platform space. With the large steel columns being put up lately I'm starting to wonder if they are doing things properly and shifting all the support columns to the south side of the platform.

Back