You are referring to this particular development ? Yes then correct it will be marketed that way ... and there will always be some demand for such development as it serves the local population, generally small firms / layers / medical ...

Looks like construction is about to start

Development set for Finch Avenue and Keele Street

North York Mirror
With a new subway and light rail transit scheduled for Keele Street and Finch Avenue, Haven Developments thought the busy North York intersection would be ideal for its first commercial development.

University Heights Professional Centre will be an eight-storey, 160,000 square foot professional services development at 1275 Finch Ave., made up of retail space on the lower levels and professional offices on the upper levels, said Haven Developments CEO Paolo Abate.

Noting the Toronto-York-Spadina Subway Extension (TYSSE) will stretch to the intersection, which will eventually intersect with the Finch West LRT, Abate felt the corner fit in well with the company’s focus of building within 500 metres of major public transit. The company has several retail/residential developments in the city.

Tenants will be made up of medical, legal, accounting, finance, and mortgage brokers, he said, adding occupancy is scheduled for late 2016.

A ground breaking will be held Thursday, Sept. 17.
http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/5841351-development-set-for-finch-avenue-and-keele-street/

Hadn't heard for a while how it had been doing, and I'm glad they are going ahead.

Not much to see yet, but it's happening. There was a lot of activity on this site last Friday (2 days ago).

23062703191_0ac0e1577e_h.jpg

For all this talk of intensification ...... this will be a nice little office project, and I can see 1 or 2 more but that's it on this side of the border (i.e. 416) .....

a large modern office development was even proposed behind the 'Gramercy Park' condos ... (larger and more modern then this complex), geared toward technology companies ... no takers and the project is all but canceled ...

There are other issues at play that make office space outside core areas of Toronto fairly undesirable ... well sorry, that's not true ... fairly 'stable' is a better term ... by that I mean there is a little office space along Finch / Sheppard today and the vacancy rates are actually low ! That doesn't mean there is new demand, but its stable ...

Who proposed the developement? Was it a techno9logy company? I have to say I can't stand the name University Heights, I mean really? Whebver I hear the word University i think of University Ave

The fact that York U is just up the road couldn't have anything to do with it.

Anyway, we should try to get the word University removed from everything everywhere other than University Avenue because the last thing we want is for you to be offended. It might be a tough slog to get the changes made though, so prepare to keep fuming for a good while to come.

I have to say I can't stand the name University Heights, I mean really? Whebver I hear the word University i think of University Ave

At one point the local councillor tried to get the new subway station to be renamed to University Heights instead of Finch West. Thank goodness it didn't happen.

Having just purchased a house in the area I am very pleased to see development occurring here. The new finch west subway station and the finch west lrt should provide a catalyst for development. I was sad to learn that el-ad sold the fountainhead properties which had been approved for 8 6-12 story buildings. Although there is more development slated in the south east parts of York university lands as mentioned in the secondary plan along keele just north of finch west station

Not much has happened since July. The crew cleared out shortly after I took the photos in my post above and the site lay dormant until last week, when I caught an excavator on site. My hope is they're gearing up to resume excavation.
upload_2017-2-6_17-55-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-6_17-55-3.png
    upload_2017-2-6_17-55-3.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 601

Back