Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Upper Vista on the Welland Canal: a currently under construction 5-storey mixed-use condo & commercial development by Evertrust Development Group Canada on the east side of Prince Charles Drive South, on the west bank of the Welland Canal in Welland South.

Gallery_Rendering_1.jpg
Gallery_Rendering_2.jpg
Gallery_Rendering_3.jpg
rendering-Upper-Vista-Condos-Hero-Rendering.jpg

I believe @Northern Light has some unfortunate news to share regarding construction here

Last edited:
Partial collapse of the above building; it was due for completion this year.

Fortunately, no one injured/dead, collapse took place in the evening hours.

That's just chilling. It just makes you wonder, what if the structure held just long enough and issues went unnoticed until after completion and occupancy. I'm obviously no engineer and don't have all the answers, but it's certainly alarming. And of course fortunately no one was injured in the meantime either, there could have certainly been workers on site when it happened.

"The rest of the building remains intact". I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there no matter the guarantees if this thing ends up being completed.

their current building, Upper Vista Niagara, already has supremely expensive condo fees..$800 for a 1000 sqf...they just built it in 2019..

their current building, Upper Vista Niagara, already has supremely expensive condo fees..$800 for a 1000 sqf...they just built it in 2019..

80 cents/sqft isn't abnormally high. 70 cents/sqft to 85 cents/sqft in Toronto is pretty typical, and the low end required active investment in energy savings tech. Small buildings are worse as they don't get the same economies of scale.

Yorkville, with higher staff and materials costs (luxury), are in already in the $1.30/sqft range.

If you've already put a down payment on a unit and want out, what options do you have? Could the purchasers sue the developer for defective workmanship?

I was wondering if the resent earthquake in the Buffalo area. Could have been the reason in maybe loosening a column etc in the foundation. Causing the section to fall because it wasn't structurely sound from not being completed yet just a thought.

I was wondering if the resent earthquake in the Buffalo area. Could have been the reason in maybe loosening a column etc in the foundation. Causing the section to fall because it wasn't structurely sound from not being completed yet just a thought.
From local realtors in Welland and some townfolk discussion, there was no bolting done to secure the concrete slabs or something...because the weather was too cold. They wanted to lay down the slabs on and then bolt it all together to secure them all in the spring. Problem was...the windy weather made things complicated and this is the result...

wow...the welland condo collapse videos?? i'm not an architect...I swam across that welland canal once..

Did you guys read this article from back in March: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/evertrust-condos-welland-collapse-niagara-issues-1.6765593

The Greater Toronto Area-developer behind a collapsed luxury condo project in Welland, Ont., is facing a $10 million lawsuit from residents in another condo in Niagara Falls who say their building is riddled with issues.

"I've been doing this now over 20 years ... I've never seen anything like this," Patricia Elia, a senior lawyer with Elia Associates, told CBC Hamilton, referring to the building.

She said she is representing the condo board and residents at Upper Vista Niagara Falls as they sue the developer, Evertrust, for "deficiencies and failures" in the building at 7711 Green Vista Gate.

'Substantial danger' at Niagara Falls condo​

The statement of claim says a first-year performance audit report at Upper Vista Niagara Falls found the condo had "incomplete and inadequate work, and serious construction and restoration defects."

"The building is in beautiful shape from the outside, but the inside is full of cancer," Ian Jarvis, who lives in Upper Vista Niagara Falls and is on the condo board, told CBC Hamilton.

The claim says the building has experienced flooding and sanitary backups due to botched installations in the condo.

"The deficiencies outlined herein pose a real and substantial danger," the claim reads.
(N)Evertrust Development from Markham. I really hope the entire South Wing of the Welland project gets demolished. How can one even trust this company after 2 collapses while under construction?
I feel awful for anyone that has given them money or worse lives in one of their buildings.

Back