Member Bio
Reaction score
A new complex is going forward at UTSC:

1594825168370.png

1594825187541.png

1594825209193.png

1594825225217.png

1594825331776.png

Architects are Formline/LGA as noted on the slides, neglected to put that in thread title.

Wow! I am very impressed! I love how the design is contemporary, but references indigenous shapes both outside and inside.

‘An inclusive space’: U of T Scarborough breaks ground on Indigenous House

Nov 23, 2021

Construction is about to begin on Indigenous House, a new gathering place at the University of Toronto Scarborough that’s dedicated to learning about Indigenous culture and ways of knowing.

The 10,700 square foot (994 square metre) building, located on a sloping piece of land south of the Instructional Centre on campus, will overlook the surrounding Highland Creek ravine.

indig.jpg
indig2.jpg

Construction is expected to begin in the spring. The university is anticipating bids by the end of December and the project will be awarded in February. The project is expected to take 15 to 18 months to complete.

...and long houses, to which I gather this is inspired after, where often used as meeting places to my understanding of this.
Depends on when. Pre colonial invasion, they were often for communal living and sleeping, with central gathering spaces and multiple levels of sleeping platforms down the sides, as I understand it.

Post colonization, they became common spaces not for sleeping.

I wish I could find an indigenous-authored source for this, but the Canadian Encyclopedia will have to do: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/longhouse

Depends on when. Pre colonial invasion, they were often for communal living and sleeping, with central gathering spaces and multiple levels of sleeping platforms down the sides, as I understand it.

Post colonization, they became common spaces not for sleeping.

I wish I could find an indigenous-authored source for this, but the Canadian Encyclopedia will have to do: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/longhouse
Either way, I believe they had no intention of housing anyone with that name. Nor did I take it that way when they named it such....I am just a little surprised others would.

Either way, I believe they had no intention of housing anyone with that name. Nor did I take it that way when they named it such....I am just a little surprised others would.
In a City with a massive housing crisis, especially among students, racialized people, indigenous people, and youth, I find it disappointing that an indigenous campus centre would be built without any housing integrated or adjacent. Fancy meeting rooms are easy. Actually serving the direct needs of indigenous students and community is harder but more important, and in my humble opinion, would go further to incubating and nurturing community, growth, safety, collaboration, and learning.

Just an edit to say the project is gorgeous. The spaces are intriguing. The purpose is laudable. I'm a fan. I just wish for more for such an important population and community.

Last edited:

Back